advertisement_alt
POKER_PANDA

Moving to Costa Rica - Roommates wanted

So, I wanna move to the warm beaches of Costa Rica to learn to surf, chill outside the states, explore south America, and grind micro tournaments freely on stars, etc. I think it would be cool to split the house with another poker player or two (or three) to talk strategy and encourage each other. I am already liquidating possessions and plan on trying to fly out by April 1st. I have some savings, and could find a place on my own, but would enjoy company, especially on long grinding days. I have read the threads and all the advice, and am not looking to do this to make tons of money, more to travel and explore and to extend it with poker. I won't be relying on poker to live for months, which should give me time to grind up some rolls. This is happening, I am already selling my stuff and am very serious, so please be sure you are too. If so, get a hold of me. Thanks a lot.

gl man. definitely cooler to live with roommates when ur moving to a new place let alone new country

Agree. I would have been extremely lost if I had just moved down by myself. Having other Americans close by who know the ropes a bit helped me a lot in my first months there

Huh? Doesnt make sense

From Wiki:

Pura vida literally means Pura = pure and vida = life, but "Pure life" in Spanish would be "Vida pura" instead, so the real meaning is closer to "plenty of life", "full of life", "this is living!", "going great", "real living","Awesome!" or "cool!"[1] It can be used both as a greeting and a farewell, to express satisfaction, to politely express indifference when describing something [1] or even to say "thank you" or "you're welcome". The phrase has become universally known in Costa Rica and it has been used by many Costa Ricans (and expatriates) since 1956.[2]

Can anyone provide any insight as to how much it costs to:

A) move to Costa Rica

B) Monthly living expenses

here is a rough cost of whats required to move to costa rica.

Plane ticket- 600 round trip for economy and 115 extra for overwieght bag with monitors and tower.

taxi for one hr trip from aiport to beach- 70

1500 for rent- split 3 ways among roomates.

250ish for electric depends on how much you run AC

not sure what the internet bill is yet should be around 50 3 ways.

40 a week for maid to clean split 3 ways (optional)

50 for a prepaid nokia and 3000 minutes

200 for a backup internet aircard for 6 months

electronics are about double here what they are in the states since everything is imported so its best to bring every cable and monitor

100-250 for a lawyer to setup an official letter of intent for opening a bank account

50-100 for interpreter to go to bank with you and open account since the bank officials are the only ones who dont speak some english

2- for taxi ride from one end of town to the other.

6-to take bus to airport 30- for shuttle

12 for fresh watermelon 5 mangos and a pineaaple

11 to get a large pizza delivered

groceries are roughly the same as the states depending where you go

bus ticket to panama -20

beer equivalent to miller light 2-3 at bar

Edited by tedSTRETCH
this is for jaco beach area and my spelling sucks as i typed it out quick
Roommates are def the way to go...when I moved out here to China I came alone, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only poker player in a 500 mile radius from my city.

I'm all alone on the P5s leaderboard...holdin' down that #1 spot baby. lol

Did you move to China to play poker? How do you like it over there? Asia is next for me in a year or two.

anybody bring 30 inch monitors with them... better to ship it or somehow check it in on flight with luggage?

I bubble wrapped my monitors and my desktop pc too and put them in with my clothes and it went fine, was to cozumel and not costa rica but assume that wouldn't matter much. The one thing I did F up on though was the bags can't be over 50lb's or you get charged $200/bag or something rediculous, which we thought was 60lb's so I ended up having to eat one of those charges because I didn't want to stand there and try to move shit around since I was confident in having the pc stuff all packed up well.

I moved to China to teach English, but poker was definitely in my mind.

I see a lot of irony here. Most Americans feel that the average Chinese person has alot less freedom than the average American. Also, China has alot more internet controls on its population than the US does (although if SOPA ever passes, who knows how much more controlled the internet will be by the respective governements). Yet, one of the perks of moving to China from America for you was so you could play poker, one of America's pasttimes, online.