advertisement_alt
qjuice14

Tim Wakefield retires

Wake will announce his retirement today at 5pm

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7585718/tim-wakefield-retire-17-seasons-boston-red-sox

As a life long sox fan Wake will be missed. Thank you for 15 great seasons. I have always loved your willingness to do what is best for the team, whether start, long relief, or even close. Definitely one of my all-time favorite Red Sox. Thank You.

1155133843_6735.jpg

timwakefieldhappy.jpg

wakey.jpg

One of my all time favorite Red Sox. A guy who tried to make it as an infielder and was mired in the minors learns how to throw a knuckleball and carves out a long and successful career for himself. I hope he is kept within the organization in some capacity if he is interested in something like that.

One of my all time favorite Red Sox. A guy who tried to make it as an infielder and was mired in the minors learns how to throw a knuckleball and carves out a long and successful career for himself. I hope he is kept within the organization in some capacity if he is interested in something like that.

Agreed, that would be great if he was brought on in a coaching capacity or something. Seems like a great guy to have in the dugout.

even though it was often like watching the team play russian roulette when he came out, one of my favorite all time Sox. When he had that thing working he made very good hitters look like foolish children waving sledgehammers at butterflies. thanks for everything, wakie.

Aaron Boone says:

"He had a great career – 19 years and 200 wins," Boone said. "He's a guy who has a special place in such a storied franchise. He personifies a lot of what's right about baseball. It's reflected in a long and really good career."

fyp.

Edited by Reech
gfy yankee fan.

With a knuckleball pitcher like Wakefield, I always thought a small-market team could get a pitcher like that and let him start every third game or so.

He's not throwing the ball hard enough to make his arm sore. If you cannot afford five quality starters, why not two or three and then Wakefield, and let him start every third game? I don't know, maybe it would have worn him out even though he's not throwing hard.

Whogivesafuck

Walkintooncomingtraffic.jpg

Glad he was on the Red Sox for so long, but glad he retired.

Won't get into the HOF, but I could see them retiring his number.

They would have to change their rules, but I would cast my vote

Aaron Boone says bye, bitch.

Fuckamartinintheassandgetaids

Another observation or two from a Pirates fan about Wakefield, who of course began his career in Pittsburgh the last time the Pirates were good. (Thus proving he did play for a long, long time. Badumpbump.)

When Wakefield went bad in Pittsburgh, it was because he was walking a lot of batters. National League hitters soon figured out that the way to beat him was to watch that crazy pitch go by for ball after ball. It broke so much, Wakefield often had a hard time throwing strikes. Also, it's hard for a knuckleballer to hold runners on. The ball takes so long to get there and is hard for the catcher to handle cleanly once it does. You have to run against Wakefield or else you're not taking advantage of a major weakness. Wakefield compensated for it with an extremely quick move to the plate.

I always thought the move to the American League was very beneficial to Wakefield. The American League is a lot more free-swinging league than the National League. The NL hitters are much more likely to wait on a walk then try to steal a base. American League hitters are up there to swing away and that plays into Wakefield's hand.

I'm glad Wakefield did so good. He was always a nice guy and funny as well.

With a knuckleball pitcher like Wakefield, I always thought a small-market team could get a pitcher like that and let him start every third game or so.

He's not throwing the ball hard enough to make his arm sore. If you cannot afford five quality starters, why not two or three and then Wakefield, and let him start every third game? I don't know, maybe it would have worn him out even though he's not throwing hard.

Chisox fans over 50 remember Wilbur Wood's magical years in the early 70's. Averaged 45 starts over 5 years, going 106-89, starting both ends of DH's, etc.