advertisement_alt
AnonymousX

Top Female (powerhouse) Vocalists of the past century

Stevie Nicks has no range, or power. Try Pat Benatar, if you want someone from the 70/80's era. 4 octave range and the power to use all of it any time she wanted to.

Aretha Franklin . . . yes

Streisand . . . no. Great singer in her way, but not a great range and little power in her voice.

Diana Ross . . . Definitely

Celine, Whitney, Mariah . . . but do not forget Christina Aguilera. Fantastic vocal range, and great control.

Sarah Brightman is pretty damned good as well.

Okay, so I would go with the following:

Maria Callas

Sarah Brightman

Celine Dion

Aretha Franklin

Pat Benatar

Whitney Houston

Mariah Carey

Diana Ross

That is a pretty good top 8but, honestly, any opera trained singer would have better control and range than most pop stars. It's one of the reasons I put Benatar so high on the list.

I honestly have no idea about Babs. I've never heard her sing in her prime. My experience with her is South Park and her old ass singing like she's really old. I'll have to check her out when I get home.

Aretha does not belong on this type of list.

Will obv have plenty more to say about this later tonight.

Without thinking much, Whitney has to be #1, and I have Celine #2.

I know nothing about singing from a technical perspective, so maybe some of these broads are "Better" because they sing more difficult songs, but for me Whitney is tops out of the four currently on the list. Her main problem(and i've seen this discussed in the week since her passing) her prime was pretty short. But if they all gave their GOAT performance, I think she would be the standout.

Oh and suggesting Hudson and Adele are list worthy in due time, but not including Aretha is preposterous I say!

Mark me down for a ticket on the Joplin train. Unique shouldn't disqualify.

I don't associate Aretha with power. To me, it's about her tone, soul and unique quality of her voice.

Off the top of my head, I would say that Joplin belongs.

lol that is the stupidest thing youve ever said. aretha was the first female to ever sing with any real power and she belongs on the top of this list.

Edited by Bigblind Popper
my apologies, im not calling you stupid. just that statement
I don't associate Aretha with power. To me, it's about her tone, soul and unique quality of her voice.

Off the top of my head, I would say that Joplin belongs.

She doesn't possess the same perfection the others do.

she is the epitome of power. are we talking about the same person?

she is the epitome of power. are we talking about the same person?

The way her voice projects is quite different than the way the powerhouse vocalists project their voices. Pretty sure we're arguing over semantics here. No doubt she has incredible range and quality, but if you put her side-by-side with a Whitney or Celine and asked her to hit the big "And IIIIIIII" note on "I Will Always Love You" or the "Anymoooooooore" note on Celine's "All By Myself", she would be blown out of the building, even in her prime.

LOL @ Whitney not being able to sing live. Do you not have access to YouTube? My God.

She could obv sing but there was a marked difference when she was actually live and not lip syncing like the Super Bowl and Grammys. She cops out on the high notes live and couldn't blow Barbara's big nose as a singer, actress, or anything else.

a much better one from 1994:

I suppose I'm swayed by some of her later performances. Coke is a hell of a drug.

Edited by JAAAAA!!!!
She could obv sing but there was a marked difference when she was actually live and not lip syncing like the Super Bowl and Grammys. She cops out on the high notes live and couldn't blow Barbara's big nose as a singer, actress, or anything else.

I don't have access to YouTube right now, but look at any of Whitney's 1994 World Tour concerts. She fucking belttttted out those songs, 100% live.

Janis Joplin

Mahalia Jackson

Also, no one would know about Lisa Fisher unless he/she is a huge Stones fan or fan of early 90s R&B music (she did one solo album, won a grammy and then went back to being a back-up singer for The Rolling Stones and Luther Vandross.) Her range and live singing ability are on part with, if not better than, anyone mentioned in this thread, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL2aEPu3XiQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJ56cpYg4w

Edited by ltquick

Not enough love for Christina. That Superbowl fiasco must have ruined her in a lot of minds, but c'mon man.

And Ella Fitzgerald was absolutely incredible. Anyone more powerful that Ann Wilson?

Edited by Gregrrr
How did i forget Ann Wilson? and lol bears