advertisement_alt
Shaaarrrp

Fancy Beer Thread

I recently moved and my new go-to local bar has the grapefruit sculpin on tap currently. Enjoyed it, now I'm super curious about the pineapple but haven't been able to find it. Also tried a cpl beers from Wicked Weed: a Double IPA called Freak of Nature and American IPA called Pernicious. Loved them both. Gonna follow this thread more closely and look forward to trying some of yall's faves

Love em. What are your go to stores/bars kb? I just moved from the dirty D to Morrisville on the edge of Cary. So I've been going to Ruckus and Triangle Wine Company. But looking to explore more around the area.

you are in my hood basically!! Tylers in Apex is cool but i've learned to not like their food much. Just went to Ponysaurus for the first time recently but probably going to be spending more time there. Glass Jug gets some good specialty kegs and what not. World of Beer is cool. Fortnight in Cary is a fun occasional hang as well. Highcraft is really close to me, so i go there a lot. Decent stuff on tap but bottle selection is so so.

Yeah im in Park West Village. Wow, out of all of those I am only familiar with Tylers and W.o.B.... insane how much beer culture has changed around here in the last 10 years. I will have to give all those places a shot. Highcraft especially looks pretty cool. If I see you around I'll buy ya one

Since I recently moved to upstate Cali the craft beer scene here is amazing. My palate is definitely changing and with the ridiculous selection its good to love beer if you live here. I'm starting to like more and more sour beers but they are pricey as fuck for a good one. Like minimum $4-$5 for an 11 oz bottle. The good ones range from $10-$30. Some come in a 750 ml bottle like a champagne bottle.

Since I recently moved to upstate Cali the craft beer scene here is amazing. My palate is definitely changing and with the ridiculous selection its good to love beer if you live here. I'm starting to like more and more sour beers but they are pricey as fuck for a good one. Like minimum $4-$5 for an 11 oz bottle. The good ones range from $10-$30. Some come in a 750 ml bottle like a champagne bottle.

sours will take all your money and then some. Ive lost my damn mind to them. If I had Rare Barrel access, like I assume you do up North, I would sell shit to acquire every one of those bottles tho, they are that good.

Spent a day in Grand Rapids, MI last weekend checking out the Beer City Ale Trail.

We started at Founders, then went to B.O.B.s, then Hopcat, then Stella's... Grand Rapids brewing was too full to get in.

Had Founders KBS on tap which is just so amazing... didn't keep good track throughout the day (drinking lol) but took a few photos along the way - easily tried over 20 different ones including flights.

CC6BC1CC-8832-4C3C-BAAD-1E2F99F19415_zpsnarhqgsr.jpg

F403EB8E-AD4C-4502-87EB-963C9513762E_zpsdn8muwmh.jpg

F32E0DC8-9E10-4159-8C2B-035039144D3D_zps5yq8x7q1.jpg

3ADAB18A-60BD-4F71-8331-AAAED190CCE9_zpshxxjr4cg.jpg

6A9B1C38-D61B-41EB-B652-8DD2FE0C39E5_zps2r8raqi5.jpg

17F2F8AE-5E3D-49E0-8757-1C2EFF192B15_zpsgjovf9sa.jpg

D528354F-C9FA-441F-8507-9FD6BF263667_zpsd7ru70vd.jpg

I dont even care about hopslam much anymore, with the world class ipas we are brewing out here, it is just whatever. Ill still def grab a 6er but I have a feeling its just going to be lost in the shuffle out here. Last yrs Hopslam was sweeter than any of the previous years, so if this one is even sweeter, not gonna work too hard to find one. Im sure ill see it on tap this weekend somewhere tho

In general there are just too many IPAs in the marketplace. I've had IPA fatigue for nearly 5 years now.

I am too cool for no man. Or woman.

Not sure when I'll be headed out that way. Most likely late summer.

Got a Houston and Minnesota trip lined up for now.

Hmu, we'll hit all the fancy beer spots.

On that note, place I am at just got hopslam, so I am going to give it a shot based on this thread. Never tried

Edit: it's excellent. Pricey, but very tasty

sours will take all your money and then some. Ive lost my damn mind to them. If I had Rare Barrel access, like I assume you do up North, I would sell shit to acquire every one of those bottles tho, they are that good.

The only thing I really hide from my wife is the amount I spend on sours....particularly barrel aged sours

"yeah, didn't want to spend too much so I just got a 6 pack".......of beers that are 13-25/bottle.....

Spent a day in Grand Rapids, MI last weekend checking out the Beer City Ale Trail.

We started at Founders, then went to B.O.B.s, then Hopcat, then Stella's... Grand Rapids brewing was too full to get in.

Had Founders KBS on tap which is just so amazing... didn't keep good track throughout the day (drinking lol) but took a few photos along the way - easily tried over 20 different ones including flights.

CC6BC1CC-8832-4C3C-BAAD-1E2F99F19415_zpsnarhqgsr.jpg

F403EB8E-AD4C-4502-87EB-963C9513762E_zpsdn8muwmh.jpg

F32E0DC8-9E10-4159-8C2B-035039144D3D_zps5yq8x7q1.jpg

3ADAB18A-60BD-4F71-8331-AAAED190CCE9_zpshxxjr4cg.jpg

6A9B1C38-D61B-41EB-B652-8DD2FE0C39E5_zps2r8raqi5.jpg

17F2F8AE-5E3D-49E0-8757-1C2EFF192B15_zpsgjovf9sa.jpg

D528354F-C9FA-441F-8507-9FD6BF263667_zpsd7ru70vd.jpg

so fkn jealous....this is one of a hand full of breweries I really want to go to (This, 3floyds, and Cigar City top 3) but its not near a beach or warm weather, so CC won this round....I am so stoked to be a couple blocks from there next month

didn't realize how big the brewery scene was there overall.....haven't heard of bobs

backwoods bastard is probably my favorite regularly available beer, seasonal....but easy to get in season even here

In general there are just too many IPAs in the marketplace. I've had IPA fatigue for nearly 5 years now.

to me ipas are just a lot of the same, yes there are a lot of different hops and styles, but i'm just not a huge ipa guy...im warming, but gimme a big stout or sour or lambic....or even pilsner....or lager.....or etc

Grand Rapids has a top notch beer scene. Sounds like they treated you well skeeze.

And totally agree on IPA fatigue. It's what the market wants but brew a nice big stout or balanced porter once in a while lol

agree......slightly warming to porters

the second to last batch of brew i did was a big coffee stout, finished with some lactose.....but its so fkn heavy, like porterish....tastes like 400 calories/beer-the 12 oz version, a bomber is more filling than a 32 oz porterhouse (although it accompanies it very well)

Backwoods bastard and Devil Dancer were both awesome. Would have again for sure. Can't stress enough how great the Breakfast Stout on draft is... Will get it anytime I see it for the rest of my life.

And yeah, between 40 or so breweries in Grand Rapids area and the fairly close Kalamazoo area (Bells is there) you could spend quite a bit of time exploring the scene.

Damn I was literally just in Grand Rapids on Tuesday night...we ate at some burger joint called Stella's, then went to Founders for a few beers. That brewery would be insane in the spring & fall I bet...has to be big enough to fit a few thousand people between the indoor and outdoor areas. It was HUGE.

I tried some IPA they don't bottle...Avecca or something like that? I was already pretty lit up by the time we got there, but from what I remember, it was pretty solid.

Pineapple is apparently really good. Never had. Would love to try it. Suggest buying a cour 6ers of that if you are able. Never even heard of watermelon. I'm prob slow to game. But pineapple was a shock to me. So who knows. May be good. All I know is jalepeño/habeñero beers are all pretty undrinkable. It's a novelty. Have a taste. Appreciate it and move on. Can not drink

It's no good. Drink ONE and move on with life. It's not drinkable. 6 pack will sit in your fridge till the rapture

this is the correct answer. I love spicy stuff but really do not like chilis in beer. Ive tried dozens and the chili peppers just dominate everything, with habanero sculpin being one of the worst offenders. People do love it, and I had it in a bloody mary once and that was good, but youll prob try one (max) and move on.

I like the pineapple but grapefruit still my favorite. Mango Even Keel session IPA is a really nice easy to drink variant. The watermelon Dorado is straight jolly rancher candy with a deep hoppy resin behind it. Cool beer and all but IM not a huge fan and I cant drink much of it. The half pour was enough

Iced Tea Sculpin was the best variant ever, but nobody else like that except me so doubt that ever gets brewed again

this is the correct answer. I love spicy stuff but really do not like chilis in beer. Ive tried dozens and the chili peppers just dominate everything, with habanero sculpin being one of the worst offenders. People do love it, and I had it in a bloody mary once and that was good, but youll prob try one (max) and move on.

I like the pineapple but grapefruit still my favorite. Mango Even Keel session IPA is a really nice easy to drink variant. The watermelon Dorado is straight jolly rancher candy with a deep hoppy resin behind it. Cool beer and all but IM not a huge fan and I cant drink much of it. The half pour was enough

Iced Tea Sculpin was the best variant ever, but nobody else like that except me so doubt that ever gets brewed again

my interest is peaked in the iced tea sculpin...loved BP to death