advertisement_alt
Shaaarrrp

Fancy Beer Thread

Guest Hank H1LL
I had this the other day:

tumblr_nmtpdutoLm1qzx92wo1_500.jpg

It is 5.9% alcohol.

As a beer it sucks horribly. If I was in the mood for a beer and had this, I would be like WTF.

But as a root beer, it is amazing! Doesn't taste like beer or alcohol one bit. I maybe have a root beer 3-5 times a year, but when I was drinking this, I didn't know if I would be able to pick it out in a blind taste test compared to regular root beers.

So in conclusion, as a beer it is horrible, but as a sweet and tasty alcoholic drink it is amazing.

totally agree with your note. Pretty cool "beer" to have 1 of, but more of a soda alternative. Better than the local version from Mission Brewery.

they have a 10% version and a Barrel aged version coming out this fall/winter that comes in like 16-18%, or so ive heard. The big boozy versions could be great as the boozy heat could cut thru the overly sweet palate.

just tried this so I searched and I agree with everything you guys said. they also make some soda flavors and ginger ale. I want to try them but fuck if I'm gonna buy 24 of these diabetes beers to sample them.

I know there's been a lot of discussion in here but I'm a Ballast Point newb (have tried some in San Diego but don't remember what I had). My local place has all of this. What should I try? Obviously all is pricey so I only want to sample a bit before I buy more.

B29FF5BD-FEB4-402F-8ACA-B8118B2B7694_zpsm6kpyn4r.jpg

8862476A-ACF5-4C49-84D8-30E7030CCD42_zpsvmw4c52t.jpg

37BA0DB1-E9E7-4AB8-9724-7FE3A030F4C4_zpsej5o2dha.jpg

Tongue Buckler is a good bigger BP beer that never really made it that far out of SD until recently. Sea Monster is a well made stout, but I prefer it with a little age on it. Piper down is a a pretty solid Scotch Ale that has more of a hop bil to balance out the sweet caramel notes of of Scotch Ale. Indra kunindra might be the worst beer I have ever had (great to make a curry with tho, so its got that going for it)

But I would be more interested in The Bruery's Oude Tart on the shelf above.

and today was Pliny the Younger tapping at Toronado (and Small Bar). Used to be able to stroll in around noon when they opened and get a pour. Last yr was about a 45 min wait. This yr the fucking stoobs started lining up at 8am. Over 100 in line by 1030. Just stupid

BLAH is tapping a keg on Sat and are charging $40 for 8pz of it and 16oz Pliny the Elder. What a damn joke beer is becoming

and today was Pliny the Younger tapping at Toronado (and Small Bar). Used to be able to stroll in around noon when they opened and get a pour. Last yr was about a 45 min wait. This yr the fucking stoobs started lining up at 8am. Over 100 in line by 1030. Just stupid

BLAH is tapping a keg on Sat and are charging $40 for 8pz of it and 16oz Pliny the Elder. What a damn joke beer is becoming

that is fucking absurd. 8 oz younger and 16 oz elder for 40$?????

Thanks for the notes, guys. This place is pretty awesome to browse but I don't venture outside what I know too often. Still a total sucker for dogfish 90 - just fucking love that taste. But did grab some dogfish imperial brown for a change up.

Agree, very difficult to beat 90 Minute. Every time I drink one I'm surprised how much I like it.

that is fucking absurd. 8 oz younger and 16 oz elder for 40$?????

They could charge far more if they wanted to. I'd happily pay it although waiting in line sounds like a drag. $20 or $30 to secure the opportunity to taste the Younger seems worth it to me given the origin and how rare it is. That said, most people say the Elder is better.

That is pretty nuts. How often/much of these do they produce?

Toppling Goliath released their Mornin' Delight (#2 beer in the world on both RateBeer and BeerAdvocate) a few months ago and they sold out the event in minutes, charging $100 for this:

12194701_10156244511425215_7803876161231713066_o.jpg

2 - 22oz bottles, a special glass, and a 10oz pour at the brewery.

I guess I don't have that much of a problem with it, if that's the price the market dictates. Thankfully all of their other non-barrel aged stuff is ~$9 for a 22oz or less.

I woulda snap bought those Mornin Delight's, or at least tried, but I have a problem lol

Pliny the Elder is brewed all yr but doesnt get far outside of CA. Pliny the Younger is a super small batch IIIPA, and people line up at Russian River for 8hrs to get it, during its 2 weeks on tap every Feb. Its incredibly rare but we usually get a handful of kegs and some are sent out across the county too. Ive had it a bunch and its great, but def not worth $40 or waiting in long ass lines for....but everyone should try it at least once if possible.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/pliny-the-younger-release/

I woulda snap bought those Mornin Delight's, or at least tried, but I have a problem lol

Pliny the Elder is brewed all yr but doesnt get far outside of CA. Pliny the Younger is a super small batch IIIPA, and people line up at Russian River for 8hrs to get it, during its 2 weeks on tap every Feb. Its incredibly rare but we usually get a handful of kegs and some are sent out across the county too. Ive had it a bunch and its great, but def not worth $40 or waiting in long ass lines for....but everyone should try it at least once if possible.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/pliny-the-younger-release/

TBH I would have bought them also but I wasn't able to go on the date in question. Hoping to get my hands on some of their barrel aged stuff at some point. They put out SR-71 for the firs time (now #27 in the world on RateBeer) when I first moved here but I didn't realize how rare an event it was, so I didn't jump on it and the opportunity passed.

Next time they drop King Sue DIPA (#17 on the BeerAdvocate top250) I'm going to put everything on hold and make the 2 hour drive for a case. Only got a few more months here, gotta get it in while I can.

Had a Pliny the younger at falling rock before it became ridiculous to buy a ticket and all that.

Went to a newish tap room close to me yesterday to get some hopslam.

D4HdISx.jpg

Also had the Three Sheets Barley wine and the beerbera. Three sheets was pretty good but the beerbera was amazing, I love sours and wild ales so much. Anything else on there worth grabbing?

BeeraBeera is awesome! the Bullfrog Jong Bruin Kriek sounds great. Really nice list, esp with the sours.

Ive been wanting to drink some Pizza By beers (sours specifically) forever so I would def try their Winter Warmer.

Troegs Nugget Nectar is always a great hoppy guy too

I got one of the last pours of BeerBera, pretty excited about that one. We get a ton of troegs out here so I get the Nugget Nectar quite a bit.

This place always has a great list with lots of awesome sours, will probably head back there on Sunday. This app they have is awesome, you can go on their website and see how much of each keg is left. Havent seen this anywhere else.

http://tria.bevchek.com/list?jv7pwsFBqjXswTOMRKO%2f%2fQ

Went to a beer store to grab some sculpin and asked about hopslam and he said they only got one case and no one had claimed it so I now have 22 hopslams if anyone wants to do a trade. Either that or I'm going to be really drunk the next few weeks. Not sure why I bought all of these but I'm sure they won't go to waste.

Finally got ahold of a Hop Slam. Pretty meh for me. Too malty for my taste.

All Green Everything is one of the best beers I've ever had. (Other half brewing is awesome! Highly recommend Green Diamond)

Barrel Aged Bomb! Is really good.

The Substance is very good as well.

Cheers

Went to a beer store to grab some sculpin and asked about hopslam and he said they only got one case and no one had claimed it so I now have 22 hopslams if anyone wants to do a trade. Either that or I'm going to be really drunk the next few weeks. Not sure why I bought all of these but I'm sure they won't go to waste.

Down for a trade as I can't get it here. See if there's anything Louisiana you want.

Also I've entered the homebrew scene. Made an oatmeal stout I think turned out really well after sitting for a few weeks. Willing to send a couple out to people to try for free if interested.

Down for a trade as I can't get it here. See if there's anything Louisiana you want.

Also I've entered the homebrew scene. Made an oatmeal stout I think turned out really well after sitting for a few weeks. Willing to send a couple out to people to try for free if interested.

I'll try your potion, sir