Lord Supremo

Is 2013 Going to be the Best Year in Movie History?

This is a year and a half away, but holy shit: http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/8/13/christopher-nolans-interstellar-official-plot-summary

Nolan's next film is a sci-fi thriller called Interstellar, about a group of space explorers who find a wormhole. That alone has me excited, but the cast is also insane: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, John Lithgow, Casey Affleck, Ellen Burstyn and Michael Caine, among a few others.

excited-baby.gif

This is a year and a half away, but holy shit: http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/8/13/christopher-nolans-interstellar-official-plot-summary

Nolan's next film is a sci-fi thriller called Interstellar, about a group of space explorers who find a wormhole. That alone has me excited, but the cast is also insane: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, John Lithgow, Casey Affleck, Ellen Burstyn and Michael Caine, among a few others.

excited-baby.gif

This is the perfect example of a time where id never want to see a trailer. This little bit of information is enough to make me want to see it.

Im sold.

This is the perfect example of a time where id never want to see a trailer. This little bit of information is enough to make me want to see it.

Im sold.

Yep, me too. I know nothing about it other than what I posted above, but looking at the number of actors and their very obvious grouping as quite young or very old lead me to believe we might be looking at a movie that spans decades (at least decades for the characters as it relates to travelling via a wormhole) or some sort of multi-universe thing with different versions of the same characters at different ages.

I like it. They go through a wormhole, what seems like seconds to them is actually years, then we spend the movie in intermittent flashbacks and present time. The movie wraps without us knowing if the flashbacks are actually the present(they reversed aged), the present are the flashbacks, or if they died in the journey and are stuck in a continuum.

I like it. They go through a wormhole, what seems like seconds to them is actually years, then we spend the movie in intermittent flashbacks and present time. The movie wraps without us knowing if the flashbacks are actually the present(they reversed aged), the present are the flashbacks, or if they died in the journey and are stuck in a continuum.

Tina-Fey-High-Five-Reaction-Gif-On-30-Rock.gif

excited-baby.gif

8m44.gif

tumblr_mo7nns68Yi1snfk6jo1_250.gif

excited-baby.gif

I like I like

Hey Bubba... in terms of 'hype manager' I doubt there is a better example in 2013 than The Butler... It may be the greatest movie since Citizen Kane for all I know, but being beaten over the head with trailers and interviews and news stories etc etc etc ("Everything you are and have you owe to that butler!") for weeks now I don't even want to see it because I've already formed an opinion of what it will probably be...

Yeah, judging by the trailers you'd expect this to be this year's overrated shit movie that sweeps the oscars like the king's speech, the artist, etc. You know, those fucking insanely pretentious movies that pseudo-film snobs pretend to have enjoyed. There's a reason they stopped making silent movies. Things aren't cool just because they are old. I'll never forgive the Oscars for The Artist. This was totally trying to be one of those movies. I mean, wtf was oprah even doing in this movie? So anyways this just made my day:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1327773/?ref_=hm_inth_t2

For reference, grown ups 2 has a 5.1. I know it's not enough votes to call it a day just yet, but no way this breaks 6.0. Hilarious.

Yeah, judging by the trailers you'd expect this to be this year's overrated shit movie that sweeps the oscars like the king's speech, the artist, etc. You know, those fucking insanely pretentious movies that pseudo-film snobs pretend to have enjoyed. There's a reason they stopped making silent movies. Things aren't cool just because they are old. I'll never forgive the Oscars for The Artist. This was totally trying to be one of those movies. I mean, wtf was oprah even doing in this movie? So anyways this just made my day:

Obvious troll is obvious.

unsuccessfulu-troll-is-unsuccessful.jpg

lol just looked into this Lee Daniels character, I knew something was up. Looks like we have another wannabe Spike Lee on our hands, sigh. Play a different card for once ffs.

Kick Ass 2 opens with a 7.6 on IMDB (will prob settle in the low 7s) and a 28% on RT. I haven't seen it yet but it's getting tons of good reviews. Looks like the the biased, shady, useless RT has struck again. So 103 fat slobs at RT say it's a 28% horrible movie yet 60,000 people says its 82% as well as 3500 ppl on IMDB giving it a 7.6.

For reference, the horrible "Burt Wonderstone", one of the worst movies of the year, has a 36% on RT.

Seriously people, stay the fuck away from this horrible website. It gets it right sometimes but just wayyyy too often it's incredibly wrong.

Kick Ass 2 opens with a 7.6 on IMDB (will prob settle in the low 7s) and a 28% on RT. I haven't seen it yet but it's getting tons of good reviews. Looks like the the biased, shady, useless RT has struck again. So 103 fat slobs at RT say it's a 28% horrible movie yet 60,000 people says its 82% as well as 3500 ppl on IMDB giving it a 7.6.

For reference, the horrible "Burt Wonderstone", one of the worst movies of the year, has a 36% on RT.

Seriously people, stay the fuck away from this horrible website. It gets it right sometimes but just wayyyy too often it's incredibly wrong.

Ya know the site just compounds all the reviews of the movie? The first Kick Ass movie got a 77% on Rotten tomatoes. And Kick Ass 2 has a 7.6 on imdb with a little over 3,000 votes, and i'm guessin most people who voted have not even seen the movie as it did not come out until this morning. There are many cases where critics are wrong, but when original movie is well received and the sequel is not it is usually an indication that it is not very good.

sidenote-Don't say that rotten-tomatoes is wrong, you just disagree with the movie critics

you're forgetting all the sneak peaks and stuff, 3k votes isn't a lot and I'd bet that the vast majority of them have seen the movie.

anybody can vote dude. It's not like you need a license to do it. And the film itself has a pretty strong fan base with the success of the original. So a lot of people want the movie to be good.

you can see how people voted on imdb. 33% of imdb users voted the movie a 10/10. So yeah.

The Tomatometer is clearly, obviously, very flawed. If the movie has 100 5.5/10 scores from critics across the board, the meter will say 0 percent, because all it does is measure POSITIVE or NEGATIVE. Pointing at the Tomatometer and then saying that it equates to what the film critic community thinks as a whole is hugely incorrect. The Tomatometer was not created by the critics.

Now that we've established that I think the Tomatometer is flawed, let me just say that claiming RT is a terrible source of info and IMD's user ratings are better is fucking hilarious.

OT movie reviewers excluded ldo

If that wasn't actually intended to bait me, I will say that I understand the negative sentiment towards 'critics' sometimes. But RT contributes to the problem. Aggregators, whether it's RT or IMDB, are too closely taken for what critics actually think. What they think is in their words, not how some third party decides to TRY to collectively present their procedural rankings as ONE score.

If what people really, really want before seeing a movie is to discern whether it's worth their time and money, the absolute best thing they can do is invest a little bit of time to find a 'critic' or two who they can relate to - maybe it's your city's newspaper critic, maybe it's an online blogger, maybe it's one of the old-guard of critics (who knows, they are plenty of people writing about film today) - and then consult their review(s) before making a decision.