advertisement_alt

Hurry up and die

Dyzalot    89

Hospitals may actually increase patient satisfaction and save money by letting patients help themselves. A report released in the February issue of the journal Health Affairs shows that encouraging patient self-care lowers costs, improves patient outcomes, and gives hospitals higher scores on patient satisfaction.

http://www.dotmed.com/news/story/20422/

Willywoo    300

or, if they have the longest life expectancies in the world. It seems really inefficient and incovenient to their employers for people to live longer!!!!

This would be a nice retort except that there is an assumption here that the healthcare system in Japan is responsible for the life expectancy numbers, which it is not. Another problem is that you seem to be ignoring the fact that even if the healthcare system is partially responsible for some portion of the life expectancy in Japan, it has created economic problem because of its costs. I guess the question is how much is an extra year of life expectancy worth? Would you bankrupt a country if you could raise the life expectancy from 79 to 80?

Dyzalot    89

I(f healthcare is a right then who cares how much it costs. If it is a right then its ok for 8 billion people to starve so that one person can live.

Dyzalot    89

ObamaCare "blowback"...

I received a certified letter from my physician yesterday.

It read:

This letter will serve as notification to you that (clinic name) is withdrawing you from further treatment as of the date of this letter. You are hereby discharged from care by all of our physicians and treatment locations. … We suggest that you place yourself under the care of another physician and medical facility immediately.

http://jneilschulman.rationalreview.com/2013/02/obamacare-blowback/

Dyzalot    89

Go post in the NQTW Lance thread or die, cool?

I believe I have more right than anyone to post in this thread

My Cancer doc's sent me a letter: dead oct 2004

My mom has stage 4. Apparently her doc doesn't make predictions like that.

japans healthcare is going down the toilet because most of the country has converted to western(usa) eating habbits. it easily doubles the cost of healthcare. jfc, if u really want to cut medical costs, stop eating so much dam meat and milk. pretty simple. (long term of course)

not a vegan or vegitarian.

japans healthcare is going down the toilet because most of the country has converted to western(usa) eating habbits. it easily doubles the cost of healthcare. jfc, if u really want to cut medical costs, stop eating so much dam meat and milk. pretty simple. (long term of course)

not a vegan or vegitarian.

Pretty much the opposite of this. Grains and sugar are the killers.

Neeek    161

This would be a nice retort except that there is an assumption here that the healthcare system in Japan is responsible for the life expectancy numbers, which it is not. Another problem is that you seem to be ignoring the fact that even if the healthcare system is partially responsible for some portion of the life expectancy in Japan, it has created economic problem because of its costs. I guess the question is how much is an extra year of life expectancy worth? Would you bankrupt a country if you could raise the life expectancy from 79 to 80?

I'm fine with debating the overall effect of healthcare systems on indicators of population health. I'm not fine with taking the healthcare system of the healthiest country in the world, which is middle-of-the-road in terms of healthcare costs among developed nations, and using it as a jumping off point for discussing the ills of socialized medicine. That is terrible, which is my only point so far ITT.

I was being intentionally superficial with my responses, because the OP is too absurd for a serious discussion. Your post is much more useful to a real discussion.

Neeek    161

Pretty much the opposite of this. Grains and sugar are the killers.

One of these days, when I get enough free time, we will have an evidence-off!

For now, I will simply ask - do you think that all grains are "the killers," or do you delineate between the simple sugars in processed foods and complex carbs/whole grains found in real food?

One of these days, when I get enough free time, we will have an evidence-off!

For now, I will simply ask - do you think that all grains are "the killers," or do you delineate between the simple sugars in processed foods and complex carbs/whole grains found in real food?

Gluten is an anti-nutrient. In general, grains are not a necessary part of any diet. Personally, I feel 1000000% better after I cut all gluten and most grains from my diet.

Neeek    161

Gluten is an anti-nutrient. In general, grains are not a necessary part of any diet. Personally, I feel 1000000% better after I cut all gluten and most grains from my diet.

Lots of people swear by this. You may have a mild/undiagnosed celiac disease, you may simply be generally eating healthier (one has to be much pickier to eat gluten free) , or it may be a placebo (hard to tell). Either way its anecdotal, as I'm sure you know.

Pretty much all evidence points to whole grains decreasing one's risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disease (2 of the main killers i this country). Low fat diets high in fruits/vegetables, and whole grains have been linked to decreased risk of many of the leading causes of cancer (the other leading killer in the United States).

Meanwhile, red meat and saturated fats in particular have been shown to do just the opposite.

I'm just curious how nuanced your definitions are, when you use a blanket statement like unhealthy carbs, vs. healthy meats vs. healthy dairy. And I'm also curious what your indicators of healthy are.

Pretty much all evidence points to whole grains decreasing one's risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disease (2 of the main killers i this country). Low fat diets high in fruits/vegetables, and whole grains have been linked to decreased risk of many of the leading causes of cancer (the other leading killer in the United States).

Control for health-consciousness?

Meanwhile, red meat and saturated fats in particular have been shown to do just the opposite.

False. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

CONCLUSIONS:

A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

"milk and meat" and "grain and sugar" do not need to be grouped in this discussion, and by doing so really makes the arguments pointless. They are each separate.

Sugar is certainly worse then meat. That doesn't mean sugar is worse then milk tho. etc..

LOL nope. im not talking about fat or skinny. im talking healthy and unhealthy. milk and meat are infinatley worse than grain and sugar. just lol at your statement.

Which is why humans survived for the hundreds of thousands of years prior to agriculture on wheat stalks and sugar cane.