advertisement_alt

Movies that should have won Best Picture

Boutros    0

I just watched sideways again recently and it wasn't as funny as I remembered, the "merlot" part was still hilarious but overal the movie is just slightly above average imo. Was it really nominated for best picture? That's a bit ridiculous imo.

Also, true grit is a cheesy, stupid fucking movie. Maybe it's an extremely well done, on point "homage" but that doesn't mean that it's not a cheesy, stupid fucking movie.

Black Swan > True Grit x 100

Boutros    0

I forgot to mention Gladiator in my previous post. What a weak year that was. Traffic or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon should have won over that gay-pleaser (Almost Famous was really the film that should have won but it wasn't nominated).

26b27de371679307ee572f58e37c87fa.gif

th?id=H.4920109252936279&pid=15.1

definitely not an exaggeration to say it's one of the more overrated movies out there. fwiw, i actually own a copy so i do find it entertaining. but "best picture" material it is not.

Keyser Galt    0

agree w/ this actually. Gladiator was atrocious and Traffic was amazing as was CTHD.

Definitely the worst best picture winner. Shockingly bad film. Letterman's top ten list the next day was, "Things overheard at the academy awards."

#1: "Is it just me or did Gladiator blow?"

BillySlater    0

It's been said a thousand times on here but 94 was loaded

Just in general 1994 was a great year. maybe the most memorable year in America over the last few decades

QFT, another great film from 94 that barely gets a mention in here is Ed Wood.

skeeze666    0

Adding to 1994 - Hoop Dreams, Quiz Show, The Professional

Also - 2002 - Minority Report wasn't nominated but could have been one of the best of the year. Definitely better than Chicago.

BillySlater    0

1944 - Double Indemnity

1971 - A Clockwork Orange

1976 - Taxi Driver

1977 - Star Wars

1980 - Raging Bull

1981 - Raiders of the lost Ark

1985 - Back to the Future

1987 - Full Metal Jacket

1989 - Dead Poets Society

1994 - Pulp Fiction (personal fave is Ed Wood)

1998 - Life is Beautiful

2000 - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

2002 - The Pianist

2004 - Sideways

2009 - Inglorious Basterds

phish42O    0

if you dont think shawshank is awesome then you prob suck as a person and have terrible taste in everything

shawshank is the notebook for dudes. it's a goddamn hallmark card. its lifetime for men.

But then again, does it really belong in the same company as Godfather, Godfather II, Schindler’s List, and other consensus top-ten films? Is it really one of the ten best films of all time? First off, the villain of the film, Warden Norton, is an incredibly cartoonish, two dimensional bad guy. He and Cal from Titanic could have a “pure-evil-for-the-sake-of-being-pure-evil†standoff. Aside from greed, we have no idea what made him who he was. The Warden is pure evil, and is willing to kill the prisoner who can help prove Andy’s innocence in cold blood. And yet, even though Andy is the one man who could expose him and all his criminal dealings, he doesn’t do the simplest thing and just kill Andy. Why not? Because Andy has to wind up hugging Red on the beach years later.

Secondly, think about the scene where Andy locks himself in a room and plays classical music over the loudspeakers to the rest of the prisoners, who stop in the courtyard and stare up in awe and wonder. Are you kidding me? The scene tries to be a powerful, emotional peak in the film, but it comes off as laughably implausible, even in the 1950′s.

Finally, the movie makes it a little too easy on the audience by giving it all the answers. Is Andy guilty? Does he really escape? Will he and Red ever meet up again? Nothing is left for the audience to wonder about, no ambiguity — everything is spoon-fed to the audience in tasty, happy-ending bites, right up to the final “hug on the beach†scene. Wait… this movie ends with happy people hugging on a beach? Yes it does.

http://mattmedia.net/2007/09/06/the-11-most-overrated-movies-of-all-time/

timthegem    0

The movie didn't end with two happy people hugging on a beach until test audiences demanded it. The original ending just showed Red getting on a bus after narrating the "get busy living..." quote.

Boutros    0

shawshank is the notebook for dudes. it's a goddamn hallmark card. its lifetime for men.

But then again, does it really belong in the same company as Godfather, Godfather II, Schindler’s List, and other consensus top-ten films? Is it really one of the ten best films of all time? First off, the villain of the film, Warden Norton, is an incredibly cartoonish, two dimensional bad guy. He and Cal from Titanic could have a “pure-evil-for-the-sake-of-being-pure-evil†standoff. Aside from greed, we have no idea what made him who he was. The Warden is pure evil, and is willing to kill the prisoner who can help prove Andy’s innocence in cold blood. And yet, even though Andy is the one man who could expose him and all his criminal dealings, he doesn’t do the simplest thing and just kill Andy. Why not? Because Andy has to wind up hugging Red on the beach years later.

Secondly, think about the scene where Andy locks himself in a room and plays classical music over the loudspeakers to the rest of the prisoners, who stop in the courtyard and stare up in awe and wonder. Are you kidding me? The scene tries to be a powerful, emotional peak in the film, but it comes off as laughably implausible, even in the 1950′s.

Finally, the movie makes it a little too easy on the audience by giving it all the answers. Is Andy guilty? Does he really escape? Will he and Red ever meet up again? Nothing is left for the audience to wonder about, no ambiguity — everything is spoon-fed to the audience in tasty, happy-ending bites, right up to the final “hug on the beach†scene. Wait… this movie ends with happy people hugging on a beach? Yes it does.

The bolded part, do you really think that's why? Did this person even watch the movie? Jesus...

The classical music scene was good and not that unrealistic, fuck off. That article is weak/whack.

Agreed tho that the movie ending with Red on the bus saying that pimpass quote would have been much better. Either way, it's still a better movie than The Snoozefather.

snaggs    0

The bolded part, do you really think that's why? Did this person even watch the movie? Jesus...

The classical music scene was good and not that unrealistic, fuck off. That article is weak/whack.

Agreed tho that the movie ending with Red on the bus saying that pimpass quote would have been much better. Either way, it's still a better movie than The Snoozefather.

Yeah the movie was so true to the book, but it blew the ending which, in the book, ends exactly the way you want it to.

lol @ ed wood being better than pulp fiction, come on now

full metal jacket/dead poets society were really good but i wouldn't put them in best picture discussion territory.

Full Metal Jacket is great, and I think would have done so much better had Platoon (best picture winner actually) not been released in the preceding year.

watson5j    0

Dances With Wolves deserved to win. I loved Goodfellas but it rightfully lost.

Million Dollar Baby winning was a joke. What a total heap of shit movie. Unforgiven shouldn't have won, either. Clint Eastwood must give awesome blowjobs.

You had me until you said Unforgiven shouldnt have won...that is a superbly done movie...

Milo    0

This . . . I have always believed shawshank to be one of the most over-rated pieces of drivel to ever hit the big screen.

XXEDPXX    2

Other things that happened in 1994:

-OJ

-Nancy Kerrigan Clubbing. "Why, Why, Why?

-Northridge earthquake

-Lorena Bobbitt

-Lillehammer Olympics

-Cobain suicide

-Ayrton Senna killed

-Nelson Mandella named President

-World Cup and Andres Escobar murder

-1994 MLB strike

-Woodstock 94

- Russia and USA decide to point their nuclear weapons away from each other. China and Russia do as well. (This is all bullshit but still pretty significant)

-NAFTA

-Assault weapons ban

-George Foreman wins title at age 74

Crazy year

A lot of that shit happened in a short window of a few months too. I mainly just focused on pop culture and sports shit. didn't really get into the events going on around the world. There was also two or three big ass plane crashes that year in the US that killed a bunch of people.

XXEDPXX    2

George Foreman had come out of retirement to fight Michael Moorer the minute he was 74 years old. George Foreman was always lying about his age. Lied about it all the time. George Foreman is 137 years old.

Ozzie    0

Andy was helping the warden you fucking turd. He kills the man who can vindicate him to keep him in prison so he can keep using him. He wants Andy in prison not dead... Seriously if the plot of shawshank is too much for you you shouldn't be in movie threads.

Boutros    0

Andy was helping the warden you fucking turd. He kills the man who can vindicate him to keep him in prison so he can keep using him. He wants Andy in prison not dead... Seriously if the plot of shawshank is too much for you you shouldn't be in movie threads.

lol seriously...can't take that article seriously when something so simple flew right over his head or he just blatantly ignores it to make a shitty joke.