advertisement_alt

Johnny football in trouble again...

norcaljeff    2

Looool @ NCJ's "if you have enough to cover it pay it like a man". Might be the biggest joke itt

Hundred mil in the bank, need that 20k/yr. lol stay classy

At least donate that much to the school and take the write off ffs

El Burro    2

I'm not saying the football team gets to keep all 44 mil. I dont think anyone is, or ever will, say that. I understand your point, that women's sports are losing money and only around because of money-making football and men's basketball, but it looks like football has a few million in wiggle room to pay players and still be uberprofitable enough to subsidize women's sports. And like I said earlier, all 14 SEC coaches would pay them $300/game out of their own salary if they were allowed. The money is there to pay them a small amount.

First off, only a handful of athletic programs are profitable. There isn't "wiggle room" with remaining profitability for the vast majority of programs.

http://sportsologist.com/college-athletics-by-the-number/

And 0/14 SEC coaches would pay their players $30k+ per week out of their own pockets ($300 per player, 100+ players per team). 22 starters? Maybe. But not the whole fuckin team.

Unforseen    0

I don't think the colleges/NCAA should pay their players from the profits they currently make.

To stop players from making money through commercials/ signing autographs outside of their duties to their school is absurd.

Edub    0

And 0/14 SEC coaches would pay their players $30k+ per week out of their own pockets ($300 per player, 100+ players per team). 22 starters? Maybe. But not the whole fuckin team.

$21,000 game for 70 players, and you are wrong, most if not all the coaches would do this

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/06/steve-spurrier-sec-paying-players-proposal/1#.Uf_idJwQMXk

USCphildo    0

First off, only a handful of athletic programs are profitable. There isn't "wiggle room" with remaining profitability for the vast majority of programs.

http://sportsologist.com/college-athletics-by-the-number/

I could post a link where Steve Spurrier tells SEC Media that all 14 coaches signed a document saying they would pay ALL THE PLAYERS if I wasn't too lazy. He said it. Its true. and yes, there is PLENTY of wiggle room, if you force he money makers to share with the less fortunate. Pretty sure Oregon, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan, Ohio St, and all SEC teams, could cover $300/game for every football player on every team in every conference.

Niceguy    0

The only thing that really annoys me about this whole Manziel thing is people are acting like he single-handedly made Texas A&M. Uhhhhhh Kevin Sumlin isn't just some chump folks. He'll lead a contender long after Johnny kills himself or fails in the NFL.

SirLiesAlot    1

I knew the NCAA had some ridiculous rules but they won't let student athletes work? That's retarded, as long as they fulfill their academic(lol) and athletic commitments I don't see how the NCAA can justify that rule. I also agree with whoever said earlier that as long as they hold up their end they should be able to make money for autographs and appearances. I don't think the university should have to pay them any more than their tuition, room and board (if they even do that). Man the NCAA sucks.

Unforseen    0

I knew the NCAA had some ridiculous rules but they won't let student athletes work? That's retarded, as long as they fulfill their academic(lol) and athletic commitments I don't see how the NCAA can justify that rule. I also agree with whoever said earlier that as long as they hold up their end they should be able to make money for autographs and appearances. I don't think the university should have to pay them any more than their tuition, room and board (if they even do that). Man the NCAA sucks.

Seriously. Emma Watson goes to Brown and makes millions in commercials. Brown doesn't give a fuck. Things get tricky when there is profit sharing and what not, but if there is value for X corporation to have Johnny football in a commercial, why should they be stopped from doing it? I don't see how he would be violating his school's conduct by spending a Sunday afternoon doing a Gillette commercial.

Because of the children.

How am I supposed to explain to my child that when they work, they are entitled to compensation? I mean that is gonna be a tough, tough sit down.

dolphin13    1

Seriously. Emma Watson goes to Brown and makes millions in commercials. Brown doesn't give a fuck. Things get tricky when there is profit sharing and what not, but if there is value for X corporation to have Johnny football in a commercial, why should they be stopped from doing it? I don't see how he would be violating his school's conduct by spending a Sunday afternoon doing a Gillette commercial.

I'm not saying it's right but the reason is

1. Gillette is owned by an alum of Texas A&M

2. Gillette owner lets every incoming recruit make commercials and they get paid 100k for those commercials

Obviously that's an extreme example but the NCAA doesn't want to have to deal with that shit so they ban it altogether. Easier to have a no tolerance policy than have to look at every financial agreement and try and judge it on its merits. Again not saying it's right. Just giving you the answer to your question

El Burro    2

I could post a link where Steve Spurrier tells SEC Media that all 14 coaches signed a document saying they would pay ALL THE PLAYERS if I wasn't too lazy. He said it. Its true. and yes, there is PLENTY of wiggle room, if you force he money makers to share with the less fortunate. Pretty sure Oregon, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan, Ohio St, and all SEC teams, could cover $300/game for every football player on every team in every conference.

Laziness is no excuse. It's not like you'd have to go to the library and spend hours looking through microfilm of old newspapers. I'd like to see that.

And why should successful programs have to pay for schools with a less popular product?

El Burro    2

$21,000 game for 70 players, and you are wrong, most if not all the coaches would do this

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/06/steve-spurrier-sec-paying-players-proposal/1#.Uf_idJwQMXk

Just saw this and read the article. Pretty interesting. I admit, I'm pretty surprised. Granted, I don't think Vandy, Miss St or Kentucky coaches were listed among the volunteers.

Willywoo    327

Paying the players a pittance is just another way for the NCAA and the schools to put off allowing players to get the fair market value for their services. What a fucking scam. Call it an amateur sport so everyone except those who play it can get paid. Amateurism is great as long as other people are not making bank off the talents off the sweat and blood of the "amateurs". That is just ridiculous. If they are amateurs then get rid of scholarships.

The only reason they have gotten away with it this long is because there is a certain level of status that goes with being a college athlete and which existed before the big money. That has carried over into the "they should be happy with a scholarship" mentality. For years schools and coaches have been expanding revenue streams to the exclusion of players.

If the players lose the EA Sports lawsuit I will be shocked and disappointed.

Edub    0

Just saw this and read the article. Pretty interesting. I admit, I'm pretty surprised. Granted, I don't think Vandy, Miss St or Kentucky coaches were listed among the volunteers.

Yeah, the idea isn't even a serious consideration but it does show that the there is a feeling within the college football community that these players aren't getting a fair piece of the lucrative money pie, and something should be done about it.

norcaljeff    2

Paying the players a pittance is just another way for the NCAA and the schools to put off allowing players to get the fair market value for their services. What a fucking scam. Call it an amateur sport so everyone except those who play it can get paid. Amateurism is great as long as other people are not making bank off the talents off the sweat and blood of the "amateurs". That is just ridiculous. If they are amateurs then get rid of scholarships.

The only reason they have gotten away with it this long is because there is a certain level of status that goes with being a college athlete and which existed before the big money. That has carried over into the "they should be happy with a scholarship" mentality. For years schools and coaches have been expanding revenue streams to the exclusion of players.

If the players lose the EA Sports lawsuit I will be shocked and disappointed.

Qft aka standard woo

El Burro    2

Yeah, the idea isn't even a serious consideration but it does show that the there is a feeling within the college football community that these players aren't getting a fair piece of the lucrative money pie, and something should be done about it.

agrees-your-argument.gif

I'd like to see it taken care of, but if it happens, something Tile IXish will swoop in to fuck things up.

USCphildo    0

another way for the NCAA and the schools to put off allowing players to get the fair market value

Should high schoolers be fair paid market value also? Middle schoolers? Should agents be allowed to contact high schoolers? Just seniors? Freshman? Middle school?

They should be happy with a scholarship. Most of them would never get one otherwise, or not one near as valuable as one from a major university. Working as a full-time athelete actually pays quite well considering how far the same hours would go toward paying for tuition in any 'fair market value' job. Also, I don't think a broke ass college student would consider $4,000 in one semester to be a pittance.

Should high schoolers be fair paid market value also? Middle schoolers? Should agents be allowed to contact high schoolers? Just seniors? Freshman? Middle school?

They should be happy with a scholarship. Most of them would never get one otherwise, or not one near as valuable as one from a major university. Working as a full-time athelete actually pays quite well considering how far the same hours would go toward paying for tuition in any 'fair market value' job. Also, I don't think a broke ass college student would consider $4,000 in one semester to be a pittance.

original.gif

Zobamabie    17

this thread has gotten out of hand

It started roughly about the time dolphin tried to convince jay that a college degree has any value...talk about an exercise in futility.

Guest Camz   

Guest Camz

Lllmmmmmaaaooooooo

Willywoo    327

Hold on a sec. Who is making money off high school kids? I'm pretty sure they really are amateurs, unlike college football. You simply cannot call college football an amateur sport when everyone knows it's a big business. A high school player's fair market value is probably close to zero anyway. So your argument sort of fails.

If I told you you should be happy making $7.65 an hour with no overtime no matter what you produce or how valuable you are in the market and I told you not only will you make only $7.65 an hour, you can't even earn more than $2,000.00 a year outside that $7.35 doing something in addition to that job, you would kick me in the balls and tell me I'm crazy.

Happy with a scholarship? yea right. You are falling into the trap of you deciding what you think is fair compensation and that just isn't they way things work. I think actors are way over paid as well as some CEO's but I don't get to make that decision, nor do you, nor should the government or the NCAA. wtf difference does it make that most athletes would not get a scholarship or maybe even go to college without one. That makes their talents and abilities even more valuable. It is also not relevant that a broke ass college student would think 4k is a lot of money, even if that were true, you want to punish the college students who do not think that is a lot of money for someone of their talents and marketability. I guarantee you Johnny football doesn't think $4k a year is big money, but because most college students think it is as do the fucktards that run the NCAA, he should be limited to $4k per year. I call bullshit on that.

Lets assume that the average college athlete works 40 hours per week at school and studying and add another 20 hours per week for participating in his sport. That's 60 hours per week at 30k per year. That's $9.62 an hour. maybe a little more considering what might happen during the summer. Holy shit that sounds like really fair compensation for making the school millions and risking your health in the process. And don't forget the school gets to sell your likeness, your reputation and the fruits of your hard work and efforts to EA sports to make even more money off you. This debate doesn't even have another side as far as I'm concerned.

The bottomline is this situation is like any other in our society today. Those with the money and the lobbyists get to make the rules and every once in while a court will step in an tell them them they've gone too far. Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered. The piggies crossed the line when they started charging video game makers for the right to use the player images and likenesses. Hopefully they killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.

USCphildo    0

Phildo going full retard in multiple front page threads

Blow me bro. Just throwing out insults without actually saying what I said that was stupid. How bout the retards claiming 14 SEC coaches did not sign $300/game? They did sign it. How bout dolphin sayin all other sports end if we pay players? Gtfo