advertisement_alt
LandShark

How much is Stars paying Nadal for him to act like he likes playing poker?

I'm pretty sure it was announced a while back. It's a lot. A lot, a lot, a lot. As a huge tennis enthusiast personally and obviously a follower of Nadal, I'm a little incredulous about him being a poker player. But I'm interested in seeing it!

EDIT: Just looked it up, it's €12M over 2 years.

Holy shit , I knew it was a big waste of cash but didnt think it was that big . I cant be sure but im guessing he hardly brought any new players to the site and he doesnt even play . Hes probly still in shock that he got 12 mill for nothing . I didnt even bother to watch the little videos they make on stars TV

I don't think it's a bad deal at all for Stars. Nadal is such an enormous, main stream international celebrity. His name being attached to anything is huge. The amount doesn't really surprise me. You've gotta pony up close to 8 figures per year to get anywhere close to a guy like Nadal.

Also, remember that Stars made an enormous investment a couple years ago in back taxes to gain admission to the newly regulated Spanish market. Their investment there dwarfed what they are paying Nadal. Not even in the same league. They are making some big moves in that market, and around Europe and the world.

I just thought it would have been better to break that cash down and get a shit load of well followed sports and famous people and use the cash to buy them into live games and to setup freerollers were people who signed though them to stars can get to play them for cash online rather than someone who doesnt even play except to make adverts . The 12 million could have been invested way better imo

OP is right tho lol- the amount of hours a regular who 10 tables 10 hrs a day (and there alot of them) is way more deserving. Rafa plays this amount in 1 yr and thats actually stretching it. (70 hrs)

Dont tell me that he brings new players, even if he does its nowhere NEAR 12 milly. giving this guy that amount is for sure a loss, but pokerstars is so baller they just want the best of everything. Theres no way in hell people just see Rafa on TV and are tennis fans who just signup on stars to make this worth while, definately not enough to justify 12milly. Guys like Moneymaker are more well known and dont get nearly that much.

Wow, €12 million for taking a couple of poker lessons and playing in a few charity tournaments, sick life! But I doubt it's really any skin off stars' nose, after all, they dropped like $11 million trying to buy the Atlantic Club and didn't even get a license to operate in New Jersey.

I don't really think people should look at it in terms of how many players he will bring to the site. Him being affiliated with it automatically gives it more prestige and could definitely help business in the long run along with possibly swaying US regulators' opinions when deciding to let them operate there or not.

I don't think it's a bad deal at all for Stars. Nadal is such an enormous, main stream international celebrity. His name being attached to anything is huge. The amount doesn't really surprise me. You've gotta pony up close to 8 figures per year to get anywhere close to a guy like Nadal.

Also, remember that Stars made an enormous investment a couple years ago in back taxes to gain admission to the newly regulated Spanish market. Their investment there dwarfed what they are paying Nadal. Not even in the same league. They are making some big moves in that market, and around Europe and the world.

Completely agree with Adam here.

It is hard for us to see the global marketing/financial picture but according to what I have seen the recent years, Stars have been doing things very smartly and very strategicaly so the Nadal hiring thing for 12m Euros must be a good move and we can be pretty sure the are not spewing money here.

It is always very important for a huge company which is the CL of the business to continue to push marketing very hard and doing all they can to find new customers, I am not shocked at all about this Nadal stuff, I guess it is pretty correct for them and specially if we added the info of Adam that Stars invested in back taxes in the Spain market, the Nadal stuff make even more sense.

There is still plenty of customer's potential here in Europe, Winamax is doing a hard job these years and it does reward them. In this difficult economy times, people tend to gamble more and more, I have seen the numbers (which i don't remember cause its so huge) of the french and european Lottery, if I where in the shoes of a poker site's CEO, believe me I would do anything to take the max part of this growing ""business"".

OP is right tho lol- the amount of hours a regular who 10 tables 10 hrs a day (and there alot of them) is way more deserving. Rafa plays this amount in 1 yr and thats actually stretching it. (70 hrs)

Dont tell me that he brings new players, even if he does its nowhere NEAR 12 milly. giving this guy that amount is for sure a loss, but pokerstars is so baller they just want the best of everything. Theres no way in hell people just see Rafa on TV and are tennis fans who just signup on stars to make this worth while, definately not enough to justify 12milly. Guys like Moneymaker are more well known and dont get nearly that much.

It isn't about bringing new players. It's about building and maintaining a legitimate, trustworthy and authoritative brand in the eyes of as many people as possible. Think about a company like Nike doing ads with Nadal, for example, which they do. They aren't trying to bring new customers to Nike or to inform people about the existance of Nike. Nike's ubiquitous around the world. They're so famous they don't even put their name in a lot of their commercials. All they have to do is show the Swoosh. Everyone knows what Nike is, and surely hundreds of millions around the world associate Nike with high quality shoes and sportswear. So why pay Rafa Nadal 8 figures a year to wear their clothes? The reason is they always want to be front and center in the eyes of their most relevant customers, to never see their ubiquity start to falter. They want the most legitimate and important and visible people using their clothing, constantly reinforcing the idea that their stuff is the best.

Now if you are a very serious athlete, you probably have a strong sense of what products are the highest quality for your personal use. Just like if you're a serious poker player, you already know what the best sites are and why. Brand associations still matter for you, and they matter even more for the millions of casual customers and potential customers that are out there.

I dont think a tennis player is going to make up the minds of regulators . Them people are just assing about untill they are sure the cash is going into the right hands or whatever suits their interests

Right, having Nadal as a sponsored player definitely has little if anything to do with that. That's kind of a US-centric way to look at things that I don't think is accurate at all, though I suppose anything that boosts their overall legitimacy could potentially contribute positively for them in markets where they seek a license. PokerStars is making billions in markets outside the US. The Nadal signing is all about increasing and/or maintaining their market dominance, particularly in Spain but also all around the world.

Agree with most part Adam but difference between Nike and Stars here is that Nike is well known by everybody and poker is not. When sports fans see someone like Nadal playing online poker, I am sure some of them will give a try in the poker world trusting someone like Nadal.

I can see that the Nadal stuff is not mainly in the purpose of getting new players but the this is the best way to get new kind of players, players that are never supposed to try online poker and the pool of this kind of player is huge.

If other strategical/marketing actions follow the Nadal stuffs, It is def a good move.

Agree with most part Adam but difference between Nike and Stars here is that Nike is well known by everybody and poker is not. When sports fans see someone like Nadal playing online poker, I am sure some of them will give a try in the poker world trusting someone like Nadal.

I can see that the Nadal stuff is not mainly in the purpose of getting new players but the this is the best way to get new kind of players, players that are never supposed to try online poker and the pool of this kind of player is huge.

If other strategical/marketing actions follow the Nadal stuffs, It is def a good move.

I think this is correct. One of the biggest problems online gaming and especially online poker has had over the years is trust. Users don't trust that their money is safe, that the games are fair, that everything's above board. The bigger the celeb (with the more to lose if they're wrong to endorse), the more legitimacy it lends

I think this is correct. One of the biggest problems online gaming and especially online poker has had over the years is trust. Users don't trust that their money is safe, that the games are fair, that everything's above board. The bigger the celeb (with the more to lose if they're wrong to endorse), the more legitimacy it lends

Hooo yes, trust is priceless and particularly when it is linked with internet.

Nowadays, i have the perception that online poker (with headers as Stars-FTP) is in general safer than live poker which would be unimaginable years ago.