advertisement_alt

Flying with desktop tower/monitor

ZenZomb13    0

Any personal experiences or advice would be much appreciated... I am moving to costa rica in april next year and am obviously wanting to bring my desktop and monitor with me. It is a much smaller desktop tower than you might be picturing, but am just wondering if it would be ok to put in a larger book bag and bring on the plane with me as carry on. I think I would like to avoid checking it as I would be nervous about having it damaged upon arrival. If you have any thoughts/experiences please let me know. Thank you in advance.

P0KERDUUDE    0

Absolutely don't check it. It is very likely to get damaged if you do. Go to the website of whatever airline you are flying and find a contact #, or sometimes they have the dimensions of carry-ons that they allow. If it is too big, I would consider fed-ex'ing it because at least you can insure it if something happens to it, and they usually take care of things that say fragile on the outside of the box. Good luck with your move!

ZenZomb13    0

Thank you for your response PDuude- I called Delta and spoke to a sales rep. They claim that if the tower and monitor fit in my carry on, then it should be no problem. I am skeptical, but fingers crossed. As I mentioned in the first post, the tower itself is fairly small, so praying all goes well.

tedSTRETCH    0

I put all my stuff in checked bags, I used the shipping boxes for the monitors and put them in oversized bags. Your tower will be just fine if you use alot of bubble wrap and pack it securely.The only thing i would be worried about is if you have an oversized vid card might want to remove it for the trip. I think every airline has different regs about what you can carry on so check that out. I have brought multiple monitors and towers into costa without problem this way.

MYBLUEDOG    0

As a pre-caution, get an external drive and save all your files in case something happens.

It cost about $100.00 (or less) for a Seagate 500mb or 1Tb external hard drive. Put it in your brief case with your Ipad/Android (both about the same size).

$100.00 saves a lot of headaches (good insurance for your data).

P0LarAcE    1

I put all my stuff in checked bags, I used the shipping boxes for the monitors and put them in oversized bags. Your tower will be just fine if you use alot of bubble wrap and pack it securely.The only thing i would be worried about is if you have an oversized vid card might want to remove it for the trip. I think every airline has different regs about what you can carry on so check that out. I have brought multiple monitors and towers into costa without problem this way.

this would work great just remove components as felt needed