advertisement_alt
Pker4Dummies

*** Official OT Video Game Thread ***

2 hours ago, TMLMS13 said:

Fran's a interesting character but it's so hard to find a setup that fits. Her magic stats aren't great so it's tough to use her as a mage and the 3 dudes are enough for physical close range types. 

Panelo is going to be a tank. White Mage/Shikari. GOAT

I remember having Fran has my archer. 

Balthier was his name. 

he might be the single greatest character in gaming history. Everything he did and said was Gold

Edited by Preston_Luv

Had no idea ff12 was remade for PS4. I had it for ps2 but never really got into it for some reason. College probably got in the way. 

Definitely want to try it out after ff8. Buuiut I really want to play the ffX remaster as well

Thoughts on ffX vs 12?

Edited by Camzeeee
6 minutes ago, Camzeeee said:

Had no idea ff12 was remade for PS4. I had it for ps2 but never really got into it for some reason. College probably got in the way. 

Definitely want to try it out after ff8. Buuiut I really want to play the ffX remaster as well

Thoughts on ffX vs 12?

I never played FF12 on PS2 but the original and remake are apparently quite different. 

Combat and level progression systems are basically polar opposites. Only this that's the same is the types of fighters. White Mage, Black Mage, Support, Attacker etc. And it wouldn't be a FF game if that wasn't there. 

Story I'm still too early in FF12 to compare. I loved Yuna in FFX though, she has some iconic cut scenes 

3 hours ago, Camzeeee said:

Thoughts on ffX vs 12?

I liked FF10. I beat it in around 50 hours in my vita. 

I played FF12 for 25 hours before losing saves

FF10 has better story but FF12 zodiac is better in every other way imo. 

I love the quick sped up battles. I love the job system. I love the individual characters. I love the setting. I love the more open world. I love the hunts.  

FF12 zodiac on ps4 is superior 

On 1/23/2020 at 7:23 PM, Ozzie said:

Bought outer wilds to break up the monotony.  Only 20 bucks.  Will give a report after I get some time in it. 

So I'm like 5-10 hours in and holy shit I don't even know how to describe this game.  I guess right now I'd call it a kind of a puzzle game set throughout an entire galaxy.  

Best way to describe it is like an elaborate escape room.  But the goal isn't to escape.  In fact, you don't even know what the goal is but you have 20 minutes.  And at the end of 20 minutes you don't lose, you just start back at the beginning and the room is reset, but you do still know whatever you figured out.  

It's original, I'll give it that. Was hoping it would knock my socks off with some of the scores I saw.  So far it absolutely has not and I don't see how it even can but I don't hate it.  I'm just trying to go along with it. 

Not sure how far into FF12 I am about to travel to the far north for first time. 

The main story really sucks compared to FF10 at this point. I don't think I've ever played an RPG where the lead character is basically pointless. I'm assuming that changes. What this could really use is Vaan and Panelo becoming fuckbuddies or some kind of romance story like Tidus and Yuna. 

Thankfully for FF12 the combat saves it. 

1 hour ago, TMLMS13 said:

Not sure how far into FF12 I am about to travel to the far north for first time. 

The main story really sucks compared to FF10 at this point. I don't think I've ever played an RPG where the lead character is basically pointless. I'm assuming that changes. What this could really use is Vaan and Panelo becoming fuckbuddies or some kind of romance story like Tidus and Yuna. 

Thankfully for FF12 the combat saves it. 

Don’t think of Vaan as the main character. Think of Balthier as the main or the princess.  The story is decent from their perspective. 

the world, battle system and job system are all fantastic 

Finished outer wilds with only 1 googled hint when I was stuck just before the endgame because I didn't see something open up.  

I did also Google how long it took to beat it to gauge how far I might be because the game keeps unraveling.  How meticulously coordinated everything is is truly impressive.  A spoiler free example, the 2 planets closest to the sun intertwine throughout their orbit, 1 planet is covered with sand while the other is filled with caves and ravines.  The sand flows from one to the other, so things get gradually covered up on one while they get gradually uncovered on the other.  That mechanic exists elsewhere in less obvious ways, so what you see on one trip somewhere might be different on the next.  And you'll need to anticipate some of those effects and how you can use them without the game pointing it out to you.  

There are other mechanics the game does guide you through to cleverly use later.  Getting stuck is absolutely part of the charm(...sometimes).  It was hard to resist just giving up and googling for answers but I'd find myself thinking about it in bed or at work.  Where can I go to learn what fuck quantum entanglement means?  Have I been there already and just missed it?  And ideas come and i would be genuinely excited to try them out later.  Then as you make big discoveries and the music dramatically shifts it just feels rewarding. 

I'm absolutely not into space stuff but the game definitely hooked me the more I played.  It's catchy song will be etched forever in my brain. Definitely should have been a game of the year contender especially in a pretty meh year.  There are certainly worse ways to spend 20 bucks. 

Edited by Ozzie
3 hours ago, TMLMS13 said:

Anyone going to get Dragon Ball Z Kakarot? Apparently the first true RPG that spans the whole DBZ story start to finish. Which means it will probably be a pretty long game. 

I wasnt, but I may now. DBZ is something I have never really followed except this one time. I went and visited my old best mate who I also grew up with playing games. When he left Sydney I stopped playing video games for 15 years. 

We were full grow men, like 26 years old. We ripped a few bongs for old times sake. "Hey Juzzo, come and check this out!" He took me to the viewing room, I was expecting to watch something more mature in content. We watched like 4 hours of DBZ. 

I started watching Dragonball from Ep1 out of curiosity a while back.  Was actually pretty entertaining for a while. After a few dozen episodes it was boring/repetitive enough that I stopped watching in order but I still enjoy an episode of DB or DBZ from time to time when they pop up in the playlist. Read about storylines on Wikipedia when needed just to be able to know what an episode's context/larger story arc is. 

RPG version might be dope AF.

Finished Fire Emblem three houses

did the route where you side with Edelgard. 

55 hours or so. Played on hard mode with permdeath. I had 3 people die during story. 

I wish I would of understood the teaching mechanic a little better earlier in game. As a result I only had like 3 of my students become master classes. 

I have a save file on chapter 10(30 hours) and will use that to take the Rhea route when the new DLC comes out.  

the Edelgard route is the shortest route as well. It’s 18 chapters. I believe the other 3 routes are all 21-22 chapters so i likely got another 30-40 hours left with the dlc and added chapters. Think it drops in April

until than I will be playing Octopath traveler(about 2/3rds done), Toy odyssey(underrated) and Xenoblade 2.  Over 100 hours and should take me into beginning May and than replay fire emblem 

3 hours ago, TMLMS13 said:

Friend told me that you can get FF13 and it's sequals on Xbox One now. 

Pluv you play 13? Any good.

Man got a RPG log jam after FF12... FF8, FF13, DBZ. 

hmm. I know that FF15 is free on game pass but haven’t seen FF13 trilogy yet. 

I beat the first one but honestly forced my way through. A linear mess with a weird story. Battle system is ok.  I played about 5 hours of second one and that one was much better imo. But the battle system is very similar so I gave it a rest.  I will likely finish it out if its on game pass or maybe just watch the story highlights on YouTube and go straight to third. I heard third had a different battle system with a job system of sorts.  

Looked up some more about the FF13 trilogy. It was basically remastered for the Xbox One X but you can get backwards compatibility to play on regular XBox One. The Cut Scenes apparently make it work buying by itself. 4k and 60fps. Assume you need a OneX though. 

Crazy that there is a FF game that's basically an exclusive for Microsoft. Sony must be pissed. 

Edited by TMLMS13