AMA w/Bryan Slick - Friday, 11 April 2014, from 5:00pm ET

Hi there, everyone.

I'm Bryan, PokerStars' senior manager in charge of the tournament schedule and our online championships.

I've been involved in online poker (in a working capacity) since June of 2006, working exclusively at PokerStars these past eight years. I started out doing some graphics work for the site, and ended up working on tournaments, eventually becoming Manager of the Tournaments Team before recently transitioning to a role which enables me to focus more keenly on our main tournament schedule and the major online poker championships - TCOOP, SCOOP, and of course WCOOP.

Starting at 5pm (ET) on Friday (11 April), you can ask me anything you like and I'll do my best to answer each question and to stay online and answering as long as possible. After I inevitably have to log off (I have three children), I'll come back in the morning to polish off anything that might have been missed.

I'll be as open as I can, but obviously (due to the nature of my job), there are some limits to what I can discuss within the limits of propriety in a public forum.

I look forward to your questions... I'll start answering tomorrow around 5pm ET.

All the best,

Bryan Slick

Senior Manager, Tournament Schedule & Online Championships

PokerStars Poker Room Management

Adam    1

Big thanks to Bryan for coming and engaging the P5s community. I've posted about this in a number of our more active Local communities, but everyone feel free to let your friends in your local communities know. This is a great opportunity to get answers straight from someone with a lot of important decision making authority at PokerStars.

rungoodmuch    0

Hi Brian, I have to work tomorrow but there was a question I would like to leave here and hopefully you can get to it at some point.

Is there any chance that a large guarantee will be incorporated at the medium level buyin on Sundays? Low buyin has the Storm, the High buyin has the Million, is there anything in the works to get a 25-30 buyin with a guarantee of 300-400k just for Sundays?

Rbunce    0

Hi Brian.

Will Pokerstars ever introduce a $8r 180 man sng?

I think that would work really well. I imagine you wouldn't want to do this as you think less people would play the 15s and 35s (which means less rake for you) but I really don't think that this would be the case.

rounder63    0

Make a daily big 215, make some better tournaments during the dead period after hot 44, Run more satellitte to stuff it will make the games better.

BenFaz    0

Will there be better super KOs like $54/$109 and maybe a 215 on Sunday?

When is the new software coming out? Are you going to be changing the schedule?

Thanks

khanrava    0

Rounder has a good point, I end a lot of sessions with the hot 44 just because there's nothing else to reg for in that period (midstakes ($27-$162) wise)

Tell us as much as you can about the fabled "new tournament schedule" and why it's been put off for so long.

Thanks for your time!

Big thanks to Bryan for coming and engaging the P5s community. I've posted about this in a number of our more active Local communities, but everyone feel free to let your friends in your local communities know. This is a great opportunity to get answers straight from someone with a lot of important decision making authority at PokerStars.

Glad to be here... looking forward to answering. I'll be around for a while, and then will come back in the morning to mop up. :)

Is there any chance that a large guarantee will be incorporated at the medium level buyin on Sundays? Low buyin has the Storm, the High buyin has the Million, is there anything in the works to get a 25-30 buyin with a guarantee of 300-400k just for Sundays?

I'd say there's a decent chance. We've considered such things in the past. I would point out that the Bigger $22 (12:00 ET) got $191.9K this past Sunday, while the Bigger $55 (15:00 ET) got $286.4K. There may be room for something like what you describe, but those two Biggers are certainly helping to fill the gap, I'd say.

plz make structures better for like the big 109 big 162 etc , if u dont get a stack early u find yourself very short quick , would be a lot better to get more value for our money

This may be the first time that I have heard that either of those two tournaments doesn't have a sufficiently deep starting stack. They're among the deepest tournaments on the site. Others' opinions on this?

Hi Brian. Will Pokerstars ever introduce a $8r 180 man sng?

Two easy answers:

1. I have no idea on whether or not we'll have such a Sit & Go, as I don't have anything to do with the cash S&G and the person I could ask has logged off for the day... sorry that I can't offer a more comprehensive answer on that one.

2. "What's your biggest common pet peeve?" ... people spelling my first name with an "i". :P

Hey Bryan, I have some random questions.

1) How healthy do you think poker will be in five years? Tournament poker? What about with absolutely no changes to legislation?

2) What is your day to day like in your new role? Working with new people or is it the same team?

3) Considering a reasonable budget, what is your dream tournament promotion?

4) I've enjoyed playing the multi-starting day FTOPS tournaments. Will this feature be rolled out on Pokerstars? ETA?

5) I'll +1 the question on 2+2 about the SCOOP guarantees. While I don't think they need to be insane, I'm curious why, for example, the Sunday Million is a special edition but still only a $1 million guarantee.

Thanks for your time!

Hi Bryan, Thank you for answering questions on P5s!

My pleasure to answer questions. :)

What were you doing before your life at PokerStars?

I was in the United States Army for eight years before joining PokerStars in June of 2006. My ETS (end term of service) date from the Army was actually identical to the start date of my first contract with PokerStars. I was a "tanker", which means in my specific case that I was a Gunner on an Abrams tank, though I hadn't actually been in the tanks in a while as I had multiple shoulder surgeries to try to correct damage done in Operation Iraqi Freedom. In the end, the medical folks told me that they'd done what they could for me but that I was no longer physically fit for duty, and off I went out into the civilian world. The job with PokerStars came about via some fairly incredible serendipity, and it was a welcome blessing.

Are there any new tournament types or cash games coming out at PokerStars?

Yes, though this is one of those things I mentioned in the opening post... I can't talk about them, sorry! ;)

Do you think HUDs are good for the game?

Please note that this is solely my opinion, not an official opinion from PokerStars or anyone at the site.

I consider HUDs to be absolutely terrible for online poker. To the extent that some of them are memory aids only, I guess they can be okay... but to me they extend an essential part of expert game play (recall) beyond that which is natural, thereby altering the game and giving an undue advantage to those who have played the most hands with their pool of target players.

Make a daily big 215, make some better tournaments during the dead period after hot 44, Run more satellitte to stuff it will make the games better.

We're continually working on improving the schedule, and have recently scrapped the overall flip-the-switch overhaul to a more project-oriented series of tasks. At some point, a close examination of the daily Bigs will take place. Will we create a 'Big $215'? I don't know... but I wouldn't rule it out.

Will there be better super KOs like $54/$109 and maybe a 215 on Sunday?

I wouldn't rule it out, though at this point if I had to guess, I'd say that a $215 *Progressive* Super-Knockout is the most likely option.

When is the new software coming out? Are you going to be changing the schedule?

PokerStars 7 is currently in Open Alpha mode. Once the bugs are all squashed, it'll be unleashed upon the world in all its glory. The software and development guys have been working like beavers on this thing for a few years now... it's going to change the way people look at online poker lobbies, in my opinion... and it makes things a lot easier to get into, whether you're an experienced player or someone coming to the site for your first visit.

I miss the old double shootouts to the Milly.

Those tournament types were great servants to the Million for years... and then over a period of months, they slowly but surely dried up, either overlaying big or cancelling due to a lack of participation. Once that started happening in an overwhelming majority of the scheduled shootouts, they went away. We still offer S&G shootouts, of course...

Tell us as much as you can about the fabled "new tournament schedule" and why it's been put off for so long.

Thanks for your time!

Late last year, we were planning to completely overhaul the tournament schedule in one go... basically by wiping almost everything away apart from fencepost MTTs like the Warm-Up, Million, Super Tuesday, etc... and re-writing the schedule from scratch. As recently as February, this was still the plan. Having said that, with a schedule as comprehensive and as simply massive in terms of tournaments available to play at any one time, this task proved to be counterproductive. The amount of time required to plan it out properly was stalling projects which would be a piece of the new schedule. We made the decision to change the schedule in a piecemeal fashion, making additions and changes to various aspects throughout the year. One such change was the addition of many progressive super-knockouts throughout the day, another one currently on the burner involves dramatically increasing the number of ultra-micro (<$1) MTTs available throughout the day. There are many such projects planned, and I'm excited to be able to make continual improvements to the schedule throughout the year.

khanrava    0

Can you give your personal opinion on stars making it into the US market in the immediate future (next few years, next ten years )?

Hey Bryan, I have some random questions.

I'm used to that from you, my friend. ;)

1) How healthy do you think poker will be in five years? Tournament poker? What about with absolutely no changes to legislation?

I believe that PokerStars, specifically, will be very healthy in five years. How the rest of the industry will fare, I really can't say. I tend to think that poker as a game will continue to be popular for a very long time, and that as long as there are responsible operators dedicated to providing safe and enjoyable places to play, we'll have some healthy competition.

2) What is your day to day like in your new role? Working with new people or is it the same team?

I still work with a lot of the same people, though now in the role of colleague rather than manager. I turned the Tournaments Team over to one of my old Team members (and one of my oldest friends at the site, the man who trained me when I was first hired, in fact) earlier this year in order to focus more directly on the regular tournament schedule and the Championship series.

As for day to day, I roll out of bed, make my way to the coffee pot, then head to my desk there to be greeted by Holly, my office assistant (cat). I check my email, read the buzz reports, deal with anything urgent, and then pick up where I left off on my list of active projects. That list is currently about 18 items long... it's great to be able to stay very busy doing important work in a job and for a company that I love. :) I'm really very lucky.

3) Considering a reasonable budget, what is your dream tournament promotion?

I cannot wait to run the first tournament with 1,000,000 players in the field. I believe it'll happen eventually. I'd also like to run a flighted tournament which lasts all year long which has an end prize pool in excess of $100,000,000. I believe that this is possible, but that it's probably some years off.

4) I've enjoyed playing the multi-starting day FTOPS tournaments. Will this feature be rolled out on Pokerstars? ETA?

We've had flighted tournaments in testing for quite a while. We'll have them in either the regular schedule or as part of a promotion at some point.

5) I'll +1 the question on 2+2 about the SCOOP guarantees. While I don't think they need to be insane, I'm curious why, for example, the Sunday Million is a special edition but still only a $1 million guarantee.

The weekly Sunday Million doesn't have to compete with two tournaments at different stakes levels at the same starting time which take up part of the overall attention. In the end, I expect that the $1M guarantee will be obliterated, but I also think that the next relevant guarantee point would probably be $2M for that tournament, and that's too much of a risk to have taken. I don't believe that the prize pool for Event 02-M, for example, would be one bit different if the guarantee was $1.5M versus what it will be with a $1M guarantee.

Thanks for your time!

My pleasure.

Can you give your personal opinion on stars making it into the US market in the immediate future (next few years, next ten years )?

With respect, I would prefer not to comment on this question, other than to say that I don't have information sufficient to form an answer which would be anything more than pure speculation. Obviously, I look forward to the day that we're back offering games to our American players... but if that will happen, when, or how... I can't begin to say, really.

Hi Bryan,

Recently you added a massive number of 'cap' MTT's to the micro schedule. Is there anything in the works in regards to updating the tourney filter so, we can remove them? The Micro schedule is pretty 'busy' as it is and we can already remove different versions of MTT's eg: Omaha, if we're strictly a NLHE player etc...which helps narrow down the amount of MTT's we have to search through to get to the ones we want to play. I ask because with the mass introduction of these cap games, i'm now having to search through a lot of games i'm not interested in playing in the schedule again.

Thanks for your time.

khanrava    0

Hi Bryan,

Recently you added a massive number of 'cap' MTT's to the micro schedule. Is there anything in the works in regards to updating the tourney filter so, we can remove them? The Micro schedule is pretty 'busy' as it is and we can already remove different versions of MTT's eg: Omaha, if we're strictly a NLHE player etc...which helps narrow down the amount of MTT's we have to search through to get to the ones we want to play. I ask because with the mass introduction of these cap games, i'm now having to search through a lot of games i'm not interested in playing in the schedule again.

Thanks for your time.

type -cap into the "find a tournament" search bar

type -cap into the "find a tournament" search bar

Thanks, I had no idea we could do that! Guess I have to do that everytime I login but, that works and helps a lot :o)

Thanks, I had no idea we could do that! Guess I have to do that everytime I login but, that works and helps a lot :o)

Nope...logged out and back in again to still find the -cap and all the cap games gone. Brillant - problem solved. Tks Khanrava :o)

Dan    0

1. Bryan, what do you think of a shot clock in live poker? Will it help the game, hurt the game, or have no effect?

2. When the heck is "High Stakes Poker" coming back? Do you think the show will ever air again in the US, with or without PokerStars sponsoring it?

wsmp    0

What is the point of KO tournaments being non PSKO? The knockouts become a non factor when ITM is met, and usually even before that.