PresBruno

When playing tournaments, how much do you pay attention?

Question

17 answers to this question

Personally, I find my focus slouching off to many pointless things other than poker a lot of the time. The reason for this is that I cant play any more than 2 tables at a time because I'm always on the verge of busting my bankroll, until the next time I reload for 10 more buy ins.

Early on in my grind i may not be very focussed...it's early in everything...so i may surf the web a bit to kill some of the boredom of the early stages....sometimes i am paying attn to everything going on...but it's usually looking for new music setting up my player and such

You should be paying to at least 85% of the action at the table and reviewing any big hands that you may have missed which should be obvious by a change in the stack sizes, a new player or empty seat.

When I say paying attention, you want to look for habits and trends in your opponents and trying to identity exploitative play to create higher EV scenarios. Would also suggest to be wary over over out leveling yourself in high risk situations where you want to test an exploitative play, rather you will find it more effective to use this history to lean for or against certain plays in the marginal situations like 3betting wide against a player with an exploitable 4bet range given the position and stack sizes.

Edit: e.g. If i know a player has a tendency 4b shove AK/AQ and JJ/TT and 4b/c AA-QQ due to stack sizes and he'll weight the position where my 3b came from as strong (say UTG vs UTG+1), we can adjust ranges and 3b really weak and strong holdings and flat the rest (mid pairs, sc, etc) to play low variance high +EV scenarios.

I would imagine your level of attention depends on your level of interest and commitment in succeeding in the game, I think its good practice to try and award the same amount of focus to a tourney buy in under 5 dollars as you would if you were in a 150 dollar buy in, but thats just me. I didnt always do that but now i try and pay attention whilst playing where as before i could be watching a movie, or surfing the net, Facebook etc.....

I usually am only playing a few tables at a time, but I like to pay attention in the first few levels in case there is an opportunity for my to chip quick. If I can gain the advantage early I tend to approach the whole tournament differently. If the cards aren't falling my way, I don't force the action and just grind it out. At that time I tend to pay less attention to the tournament.

I also like to pay closer attention about 10-20 spots before the bubble, seeing if I can take advantage of tighter play from the table.

Once in the money, I usually am paying full attention and taking notes on any habits or tendencies I pick up on.

Also depends on the stakes (higher stakes mean more focus)

Bruno if you had 4 eyes and 2 brains you still wouldn't be able to figure out what the fuck is going on in front of you jesus christ. You can't be serious with the stuff you post this has to be a level.

Stupidity is an unexplained phenomenon. Given such, his question is completely valid and actually valuable to understand how much effort top players put into the game to gain their edge. Especially a live tournament setting where players aren't too splashy and finding a tell to exploit a particular villain in a key pot.

early in tourney i usually watch tv as play is generic , mid take more interest and bubble time to squeeze then play becomes generic againbut pay more attention still watchingtv, till you get near the big money ie top 1% but only learning if i want to pay attention and turn the tv off and put music on, will play 8 tourneys at a time then not bored always making a decision.

Probably the biggest leak I think a lot of players, myself included, is going in cruise control to start the tourney. Short stack shove and reshove ranges should be automatic so building a stack early to avoid being in these spots is key.

I personally can't pay attention for an entire session so if I get to a spot where I don't have any real crazy dynamics going, I go into cruise control for five or ten minutes to give myself a mental break. Maybe check some emails or my Fantasy sports team line up ect. While I try to work on going as long as I can without these breaks, I find that sometimes its good to be a little proactive because you never know when a situation arises where you might not get a chance for a break.

You should get a tool like PokerTracker or Holdem Manager that pays attention for you.

I think PT4 is like $99 for just the holdem side. It's well worth it. It allows me to play 10 - 12 tables at a time and still make decisions that are very much based on how my opponent is playing. I customized my HUD, which anyone can do, and it shows how often a player 3bets, folds to 3bets, cbets otf, folds to cbets otf, steals in late position, and so on. So let this pay attention for you...

You should get a tool like PokerTracker or Holdem Manager that pays attention for you.

I think PT4 is like $99 for just the holdem side. It's well worth it. It allows me to play 10 - 12 tables at a time and still make decisions that are very much based on how my opponent is playing. I customized my HUD, which anyone can do, and it shows how often a player 3bets, folds to 3bets, cbets otf, folds to cbets otf, steals in late position, and so on. So let this pay attention for you...

...that's cheating

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.