***Official OT MMCC/Global Warming Thread***

norcaljeff    2

would you listen if I told you? Previous conversations in this thread would suggest otherwise. Personally, I don't care all that much as I'm not having any kids and my future will be just fine. However, there are probably better options of making changes earlier rather than later and save trillions of tax dollars...then again, I have a non-taxable income as well so... meh.

yes, I would

JustALurker    3

yes, I would

Limit carbon emissions and follow through on our emissions agreement with China (so they will too). Focus more effort into carbon reduction technologies. Protect the fragile ocean system from pollution which also helps to stabalize just about everything. Hopefully, with the next 100 years, these steps could drastically improve climate models and keep this world habitable and healthy so the human species (and many more) can continue to thrive. These steps would also save loads of money in the long run.

What individuals can do personally is develop a net negative emission lifestyle and not stick to that age old voting argument of one man can't make a difference. Also, replacing beef in thr diet for fish or chicken will have a large impact long tern.

Dyzalot    89

Some of you people are so arrogant. LOL @ thinking that the way the climate is today is the way it should be for infinity. Such a sense of entitlement...

JustALurker    3

Some of you people are so arrogant. LOL @ thinking that the way the climate is today is the way it should be for infinity. Such a sense of entitlement...

I personally don't give two shits. It only matters if you want species to survive down the road. I'll be dead by then though.

JustALurker    3

limit us co2 emissions? china isn't doing shit. lol @ people living carbon free. how??

agree with #science tho

Uhm...not true.

For the carbon free thing is quite simple. Just offset emissions for your usage.

Dyzalot    89

I personally don't give two shits. It only matters if you want species to survive down the road. I'll be dead by then though.

Yeah because species didn't survive until humans started trying to stop climate change...

JustALurker    3

Yeah because species didn't survive until humans started trying to stop climate change...

Considerig history shows us that massive climate change rates such as that which we are seeing has led to mass extinctions of ovee 70% of the worlds species. Multiple times. Some people may not see the point in speeding up this process. If you don't care about this then don't do anything.

JustALurker    3

oh, ok. how?

Wow. Okay, plant a tree. Use solar and sell back to the grid. Support projects that are already doing thingd like this. Use more efficient energy consuming appliances. Use less plastic...and many more. I am beginning to think you are not actually interested but are simply trying to find a way to say it's impossible. If you don't care then don't do anything. If you do, there are loads of resources you can use.

Dyzalot    89

Considerig history shows us that massive climate change rates such as that which we are seeing has led to mass extinctions of ovee 70% of the worlds species. Multiple times. Some people may not see the point in speeding up this process. If you don't care about this then don't do anything.

And maybe mass extinctions are good for the ecosystem in the same way that periodic forest fires are good for forests. I doubt humans would have ever evolved if we hadn't had those mass extinctions in the past.

JustALurker    3

And maybe mass extinctions are good for the ecosystem in the same way that periodic forest fires are good for forests. I doubt humans would have ever evolved if we hadn't had those mass extinctions in the past.

True, we won the lottery of evolution you could say. However it is rarely the dominant species that make it through these drastic changes. This is our first attempt. Not saying for sure we could not adapt but no way 7.5 billion or anywhere near that could adapt to aa significant climate change. I doubt even a hundred milluon could make it through a drastic climate shift that Earth is on track for at current rates. Then again, I don't study shit like this full time but all the evidence seems to point to the same conclusions.

Dyzalot    89

True, we won the lottery of evolution you could say. However it is rarely the dominant species that make it through these drastic changes. This is our first attempt. Not saying for sure we could not adapt but no way 7.5 billion or anywhere near that could adapt to aa significant climate change. I doubt even a hundred milluon could make it through a drastic climate shift that Earth is on track for at current rates. Then again, I don't study shit like this full time but all the evidence seems to point to the same conclusions.

And? Who said we are entitled to last forever as a species? What if by trying to make ourselves last longer by slowing or halting climate change we prevent or delay the evolution of a "superior" species to humans? What if the whole point of the universe is to maximize entropy and man made climate change is just one tool that is used? Are we to try and deny the universe what it wants? I believe that those who wish to stop or halt climate change to be quite arrogant in their assumptions about what "should be".

JustALurker    3

And? Who said we are entitled to last forever as a species? What if by trying to make ourselves last longer by slowing or halting climate change we prevent or delay the evolution of a "superior" species to humans? What if the whole point of the universe is to maximize entropy and man made climate change is just one tool that is used? Are we to try and deny the universe what it wants? I believe that those who wish to stop or halt climate change to be quite arrogant in their assumptions about what "should be".

Most people just naturally value self preservation. I never stated that it was right or wrong in the grand scheme of things.

Dyzalot    89

Most people just naturally value self preservation. I never stated that it was right or wrong in the grand scheme of things.

That answer applies directly to the question of why most people prefer using the currently most efficient energy source instead of using a less efficient one in the name of making people in the future wealthier.

MiamiNole    0

that classic libertarian feeling of being cutoff from the world tho. Are we not also the universe? Are our wants not part and parcel of the universe's wants?

LOL please don't quote him so I don't have to read it.

Life is one massive extinction.

Dyzalot    89

Wealth is sort of a moot point ina future when people are more concerned with food and shelter.

In a future where people are likely to be more wealthy than us, it matters.

Dyzalot    89

that classic libertarian feeling of being cutoff from the world tho. Are we not also the universe? Are our wants not part and parcel of the universe's wants?

Your first sentence is nonsensical. The rest of it is consistent with the argument I made.

Willywoo    235

Well then, you must have a unique and credible perspective on this issue.

norcaljeff    2

Wow. Okay, plant a tree. Use solar and sell back to the grid. Support projects that are already doing thingd like this. Use more efficient energy consuming appliances. Use less plastic...and many more. I am beginning to think you are not actually interested but are simply trying to find a way to say it's impossible. If you don't care then don't do anything. If you do, there are loads of resources you can use.

what will that accomplish? don't get me wrong I'm all for the above, I just want to know what difference it will make. like, math

JustALurker    3

what will that accomplish? don't get me wrong I'm all for the above, I just want to know what difference it will make. like, math

I don't particularly feel like doing the math. It can be found on the internet via google quite easily. Just look up carbon offset project numbers.

All I know is they said it was curtains for CA because of global warming. There would be a drought for 150 years and there would be no more snow. Well now it's looking like every other drought that occurs every 15 years. Perhaps CA should consider building dams. You know to get them thru the rough patches.

norcaljeff    2

I don't particularly feel like doing the math. It can be found on the internet via google quite easily. Just look up carbon offset project numbers.

yeah, couldn't find anything. I've been asking for years for someone to show me some math, but apparently mmcc people are math deniers

ch_co2con_img1.png

All I know is they said it was curtains for CA because of global warming. There would be a drought for 150 years and there would be no more snow. Well now it's looking like every other drought that occurs every 15 years. Perhaps CA should consider building dams. You know to get them thru the rough patches.

lol so true. now we're hearing about all the problems too much water is causing. probably global warming's fault...

JustALurker    3

yeah, couldn't find anything. I've been asking for years for someone to show me some math, but apparently mmcc people are math deniers

ch_co2con_img1.png

lol so true. now we're hearing about all the problems too much water is causing. probably global warming's fault...

So basically, you just want to deny it without checking. The first page of google for that search is nothing but answers. Stop asking shit if you don't want to the answer. It's just a waste of all of our time. Next time, just state that you already know it all and don't care about any new information and have made up your mind and we can avoid all this.

Ftr, I really don't care what your position on the issue is but don't ask if you don't care. Some people will actually spend some time trying to help thinking that you may actually be interested.

norcaljeff    2

https://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+offset+project+numbers&oq=carbon+offset+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j0l3.5391j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

not sure if... I don't see anything there about actual numbers and what it has to do with china etc.

ps so far no one has spent any time trying to help, including you. I'll wait, I guess. I've tried to find it on my own but my google must be broken, because I can't find it. I assumed people so concerned about the alleged effects of mmcc would be able to speak rationally on the facts. I keep hearing that if the sea rises 3 feet by 2100 it would be bad, and I agree! However, we've seen a massive increase in co2 from china (the graph only goes to 2009 ftr), and yet...

I'm perfectly willing to believe that mmcc is a thing, but I've been hearing for years about the massive sea rise and yet...