***Official OT MMCC/Global Warming Thread***

Dyzalot    89

2017 was "a historic year of weather and climate disasters," according to a new report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Sixteen separate billion-dollar disasters hit the United States, killing 362 people and bringing losses of $306.2 billion. The majority of that figure—$265 billion—can be attributed to Hurricanes Harvey, Maria, and Irma.

That figure sets a new record, passing the $214.8 billion (inflation-adjusted) worth of damage wreaked by Hurricane Katrina and other storms in 2005.

Whatever contribution climate change may have made to last year's disaster damages, the University of Colorado political scientist Roger Pielke, Jr., has calculated that the annual cost of weather disasters as a proportion of global GDP from 1990 to 2017 has actually been falling:

WeatherDamagePielke.jpg?h=400&w=600

https://reason.com/blog/2018/01/08/2017-costliest-year-ever-for-disasters-i

Willywoo    235

I didn't read that yet, but I assume we have more people and more stuff in areas that are subject to natural disasters, partly because we have more people and more stuff to put someplace. that and things cost more to replace than they did 100 or 200 years ago. Then again we probably take better care of things that we put in harms way too, by means of construction techniques, engineering, and early and better warnings.

Dyzalot    89

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has rejected the Trump administration's cronyist proposal to require electric power generation plants to stockpile 90 days of coal or nuclear fuel on site. As I reported earlier:

In October, Secretary of Energy Rick Perry urged the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to pour funds into conventional coal-fired and nuclear electricity generation plants. Perry argued the government needs to prop up these money losers in order to stabilize the power grid. As R Street Institute energy analyst William Murray points out, this amounts to a "creative" ploy "to fulfill promises made directly by President Donald Trump to coal mine owners during the election campaign, even at the cost of free markets—a supposed core belief among Republicans and conservatives of all stripes."

https://reason.com/archives/2018/01/09/donald-trump-energy-crony

The requirement was artfully framed as a measure to increase power grid resilience, but it was really designed as a stealth subsidy to the coal industry. The five commissioners—four of them appointed by Trump—unanimously voted against the proposal.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/01/10/ferc-rejects-trump-energy-cronyism

norcaljeff    2

I didn't read that yet, but I assume we have more people and more stuff in areas that are subject to natural disasters, partly because we have more people and more stuff to put someplace. that and things cost more to replace than they did 100 or 200 years ago. Then again we probably take better care of things that we put in harms way too, by means of construction techniques, engineering, and early and better warnings.

which is why it seems nuts that the annual cost is falling. are we not only in ok shape re doomsdayers, but actually better off?

Dyzalot    89

VICE News

?

Verified account

@vicenews

23m23 minutes ago

More

A survey of around 2,000 American Meteorological Society members released last year revealed that 38 percent of meteorologists aren’t convinced that humans are the main cause of climate change

Dyzalot    89

2017 was the second-warmest year since 1880, according to NASA. Only 2016 was warmer.

More specifically, NASA reports that globally averaged temperatures last year were 0.90° Celsius warmer than the mean temperature from 1951 to 1980. The three other major institutions that track global temperature trends find that 2017 is the third warmest year in their records.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/01/18/2017-second-hottest-year-since-1880-says

Dyzalot    89

Probably the most vexing problem in climate change science is determining how hot the planet would become if the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere doubles from it pre-industrial level of 280 parts per million. Known as equilibrium climate sensitivity (ECS), the Intergovernment Panel on Climate Change's Fifth Assessment Report put the likely range of ECS as being between 1.5 and 4.5 degrees Celsius.

In his perspetive article in Nature, Leeds University climatologist Piers Forster explains, "Their analysis revealed that only climate models that produce relatively small values of ECS match the variability seen in the historical temperature record." Forster adds, "If the upper limit of ECS can truly be constrained to a lower value than is currently expected, then the risk of very high surface-temperature changes occurring in the future will decrease. This, in turn, would improve the chances of keeping the temperature increase well below 2?°C above pre-industrial levels, the target of the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/01/19/global-warming-less-likely-to-be-catastr

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-00480-0?utm_source=briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180119

Fart    3

Ah yes, the good ol "it was cold here so global warming doesn't exists" comments. The hallmark of all intellectual arguments.

It's OT. rebelfd posts here regularly. Obviously this thread is going to be retarded. Either read X or occasionally open and laugh at the morons who never took a college level science class and act like experts itt.

Did you guys watch an inconvenient truth part 2 yet? Al gore is actually growing on me. He's obv way off on CO2 and its impacts throughout the movie.. but it seems he kind of learns a lot throughout the movie. He preaches green energy at the latest climate conference, only to have some indian leader go off on him saying that they will use coal/oil as much as they can to keep their people from starving until green energy becomes economically feasible. Al Gore realizes that this is fair, seems depressed, spends a lot of the rest of the movie trying to cut green energy deal for india. Although i dont see co2 as a villain obv.. i am all for india and china trying to convert to green energy (or stop fucking reproducing at such a high rate) to stop their insane pollution.

norcaljeff    2

fucking native americans joining jews and denmarkians in contributing to MMCC. I thought they cared about nature and the earth?? Idiots probably thought smoke signals were harmless. smh

VENICE, Fla. -- A burial site hidden for some 7,000 years beneath the surface of the Gulf of Mexico likely has archeologists picking their jaws up from the floor.

The only known examples of submerged offshore prehistoric burial sites are known to be in Israel and Denmark.

Researchers say the water level in the Gulf of Mexico 7,000 years ago was about 30 feet below compared to today. It's likely the pond at the time was on dry land about 9 feet above sea level.

http://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/florida/unprecedented-native-american-burial-site-discovered-off-floridas-gulf-coast/67-524076059

JustALurker    3

This thread looks fun. Are there still deniers around or are we just arguing about blame now? Or maybe arguing that nothing could possibly be done to make it better? Or maybe... Fake news?

Someone fill me in so I know where to start. Thank you. (Yes, I see the gay joke too)

niptuck    73

This thread looks fun. Are there still deniers around or are we just arguing about blame now? Or maybe arguing that nothing could possibly be done to make it better? Or maybe... Fake news?

[x] All of the above.

fucking native americans joining jews and denmarkians in contributing to MMCC. I thought they cared about nature and the earth?? Idiots probably thought smoke signals were harmless. smh

VENICE, Fla. -- A burial site hidden for some 7,000 years beneath the surface of the Gulf of Mexico likely has archeologists picking their jaws up from the floor.

The only known examples of submerged offshore prehistoric burial sites are known to be in Israel and Denmark.

Researchers say the water level in the Gulf of Mexico 7,000 years ago was about 30 feet below compared to today. It's likely the pond at the time was on dry land about 9 feet above sea level.

http://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/florida/unprecedented-native-american-burial-site-discovered-off-floridas-gulf-coast/67-524076059

They should compare that with the levels in the Roman warming period 2000 years ago. Think we will find that sea levels rise and fall due to warming but no fossil fuels back then

War on fossils

norcaljeff    2

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/06/13/health/melting-sea-ice-antarctica-study/index.html

“The hole in the ozone, which is centered over this region, is caused in part by the release of chlorofluorocarbons that come from your air-conditionng, aerosol cans, solvents, refrigeration and other manufacturing processes. The hole allows in too much ultraviolet light, which contributes to higher temperatures. A stronger westerly wind, also due to climate change, hurts sea ice.”

Ummm...haven’t CFCs been banned for decades? Fake news?

Ps we have to act now!