***Official OT MMCC/Global Warming Thread***

Dyzalot    89

Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready for use in a decade. Tom McGuire, who heads the project, said he and a small team had been working on fusion energy at Lockheed's secretive Skunk Works for about four years, but were now going public to find potential partners in industry and government for their work. Initial work demonstrated the feasibility of building a 100-megawatt reactor measuring seven feet by 10 feet, which could fit on the back of a large truck, and is about 10 times smaller than current reactors, McGuire told reporters. In a statement, the company, the Pentagon's largest supplier, said it would build and test a compact fusion reactor in less than a year, and build a prototype in five years.

http://www.businessinsider.com/andrea-shalal-lockheed-nuclear-fusion-breakthrough-2014-10

Possible free market solution to MMGW?

Dyzalot    89

All defense contractors are "heavily government funded". Did the gov specifically fund this project? Also note that the "free market solution" isn't complete until it is commercialized and used worldwide. I doubt whatever government funding they get will substantially affect that possible outcome.

pistol45    6

All defense contractors are "heavily government funded". Did the gov specifically fund this project? Also note that the "free market solution" isn't complete until it is commercialized and used worldwide. I doubt whatever government funding they get will substantially affect that possible outcome.

So you think it is coincidence that a company largely supplemented by government funds makes huge advancements in science fiction technology? Presuming their funds are fungible.

Dyzalot    89

So you think it is coincidence that a company largely supplemented by government funds makes huge advancements in science fiction technology? Presuming their funds are fungible.

No. Any company that receives a lot of government funding is given a clear advantage in the market over those that don't. I do believe that if there was no government funding of private business then this would have been developed years ago. Instead we got Tang and a new kind of ice cream.

pistol45    6

No. Any company that receives a lot of government funding is given a clear advantage in the market over those that don't. I do believe that if there was no government funding of private business then this would have been developed years ago. Instead we got Tang and a new kind of ice cream.

Curious how you believe that government funding inhibited the private market?

Dyzalot    89

And nuclear fission. And the internet. And microprocessor. And GPS...

Pretty sure Einstein had no government funding. The internet was nothing, just a curiosity until it was released to the private market. A private company invented the microprocessor. And private companies couldn't have developed GPS since they weren't allowed to fly rockets into space to put up satellites.

Dyzalot    89

Curious how you believe that government funding inhibited the private market?

It diverted resources to develop technologies that aren't as useful to the common man. I mean I wonder what we could have developed by now if we weren't spending so much money and employing so many engineers to develop bigger bombs, more destructive armored vehicles and faster fighter jets.

pistol45    6

Pretty sure Einstein had no government funding. The internet was nothing, just a curiosity until it was released to the private market. A private company invented the microprocessor. And private companies couldn't have developed GPS since they weren't allowed to fly rockets into space to put up satellites.

All of those are government funded projects. The nuke, the internet infrastructure and protocols, the microprocessor was first in the F14 long before private marketplace, rockets were allowed from all over the world. The U.S. isn't the only country from which they could launch.

pistol45    6

It diverted resources to develop technologies that aren't as useful to the common man. I mean I wonder what we could have developed by now if we weren't spending so much money and employing so many engineers to develop bigger bombs, more destructive armored vehicles and faster fighter jets.

I agree mostly with this. Although I'm a huge fan of simply put the money into education and basic research. I'm starting to soften to the idea that corporations move their taxbases offshore. If I was Apple, I would not want to put another billion into the US defense budget. Its almost the moral thing to do (if corporations had morals).

Dyzalot    89

All of those are government funded projects. The nuke, the internet infrastructure and protocols, the microprocessor was first in the F14 long before private marketplace, rockets were allowed from all over the world. The U.S. isn't the only country from which they could launch.

Einstein was not funded by the government. The nuke was developed using his research but fission existed and was known about before the Manhattan Project. Doubtful the free market would have developed the nuke before nuclear reactors and I wouldn't count nuclear weapons as useful to the common man. The arpanet was little more than a curiosity until it was released to the private markets who developed it into the economic engine that it is now. A private company invented the microprocessor without any government funding.

pistol45    6

Einstein was not funded by the government. The nuke was developed using his research but fission existed and was known about before the Manhattan Project. Doubtful the free market would have developed the nuke before nuclear reactors and I wouldn't count nuclear weapons as useful to the common man. The arpanet was little more than a curiosity until it was released to the private markets who developed it into the economic engine that it is now. A private company invented the microprocessor without any government funding.

Berkley and the Bells can't really be called 'private market' though.

Dyzalot    89

Berkley and the Bells can't really be called 'private market' though.

Same with Detroit and Niagara Mohawk. So?

Dyzalot    89

At the recent United Nations Climate Summit, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned that “Without significant cuts in emissions by all countries, and in key sectors, the window of opportunity to stay within less than 2 degrees [of warming] will soon close forever.” Actually, this window of opportunity may remain open for quite some time. A growing body of evidence suggests that the climate is less sensitive to increases in carbon-dioxide emissions than policy makers generally assume—and that the need for reductions in such emissions is less urgent. The IPCC’s latest report (published in 2013) concluded that the actual change in 70 years if carbon-dioxide concentrations double, called the transient climate response, is likely in the range of 1 to 2.5 degrees Celsius. Nicholas Lewis and I have just published a study in Climate Dynamics that shows the best estimate for transient climate response is 1.33 degrees Celsius with a likely range of 1.05-1.80 degrees Celsius.

http://judithcurry.com/2014/10/09/my-op-ed-in-the-wall-street-journal-is-now-online/

What did Einstein invent? Govt funding gave us the greatest invention of all time: The A-bomb, which gave us Dr. Strangelove.

Dyzalot    89

What did Einstein invent? Govt funding gave us the greatest invention of all time: The A-bomb, which gave us Dr. Strangelove.

E=MC2... no A-bomb without that equation.

Dyzalot    89

Republican Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder reminded us all today who actually controls his state by signing House Bill 5606 into law. The law emphasizes an existing state ban that prohibits car manufacturers from selling vehicles directly to consumers, but this new bill apparently adds more rules and regulations. Though it doesn’t mention electric car manufacturer Tesla by name, everybody grasps that they are the target.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/21/michigan-at-the-behest-of-gm-strengthens