***Travel Deals and Discussions*** Post your great finds in here

skeeze666    64

Guys there have been some major deals this week... my friend just booked round trip from Los Angeles to Australia for under $300... yes, that is not a mistake, it's the best deal ever posted to Australia... I don't have time to look into ior post more... here is a link you can try and figure out on your own

http://www.secretflying.com/2016/04/mega-post-open-jaw-usa-australia-380-return/

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/04/10/holy-smokes-united-airlines-us-australia-from-385-roundtrip/

Try google flights or Pirceline or the airline directly etc and read the article for more info about dates and possible restrictions on the fare.

Z-Fresh    129

Guys there have been some major deals this week... my friend just booked round trip from Los Angeles to Australia for under $300... yes, that is not a mistake, it's the best deal ever posted to Australia... I don't have time to look into ior post more... here is a link you can try and figure out on your own

http://www.secretflying.com/2016/04/mega-post-open-jaw-usa-australia-380-return/

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/04/10/holy-smokes-united-airlines-us-australia-from-385-roundtrip/

Try google flights or Pirceline or the airline directly etc and read the article for more info about dates and possible restrictions on the fare.

Holy shit! Need to get a couple weeks off work and head to Australia. That's insane if you can get a cheap flight to the departing city.

skeeze666    64

Crazy error fare going on... Los Angeles or San Fran to Auckland, NZ round trip for crazy cheap... As low as the $200s-$400s... Use the momondo.com site in the link to find the $210 fares.

Just absurd and I can't believe I can't take advantage of this....

http://www.secretflying.com/2016/04/error-fare-usa-new-zealand-crazy-cheap-210-return/

also read http://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/amazing-deal-la-and-sf-to-auckland-nz-for-225-roundtrip/

skeeze666    64

DCA to LAX

LAX to Auckland

Auckland to Wellington

$624 RT

Yes!!! So awesome to see someone take advantage of these... I would have been all over them but I literally don't have any more time this year with work travel and 2 personal trips to Italy, South Africa and Europe already planned.

eagleseye13    18

Skeeze a lot of the deals are from la, ny, Boston, DC area..is there any site or what not that focuses on Chicago deals? Minneapolis has come up on some deals or Detroit which is not to hard to get a flight to from central IL but it's like triple the price.

I want to book that Martinique deal but to get to Balt is 2.5x that flight

kellykip    516

btw - is there a bigger ripoff in the airline game than going First Class on an under 3 hour flight? There's just no way the 'amenities' over that period of time can compensate for the upgrade in price from a regular seat. How inconvenienced can you really be on a 2.5 hour flight in the regular section? And how many hot towels do you need?

skeeze666    64

Eagle - check out airfarewatchdog - thy let you customize city searches and alerts.

Also a great reason to get the southwest credit cards and bonus points - I use those points to position to the good deals like NY etc.

And KK I agree in general, but some prices have come way down. My last two trips for business I booked my flight on our company site for like $380 then called delta and was able to pay just $100 out of my own pocket for first class from Detroit to LA.

For 3 hours, yeah not worth it, but 5 hours I'll take that deal.

Zeppelin    0

I think it was $50 for first class on Alaska from Alaska to Seattle for first class. It's maybe worth it, but when you figure in 2 free bags which they charge $25 a bag for it is a no brainer. I don't know if that is always the price but it was at one point at least. What Chief Asshat paid for his sounded like a waste of money but to each their own.

Thanks for posting all these Skeeze. I have the secret flying on my fb feed now. Wish I could have taken advantabe of the flights to Australia. Eventually I'll be able to grab one of these things!

kellykip    516

The one thing first class brings you is some peace of mind when you're at the gate area waiting for your flight to board and you hear those 2 or 3 people that you always have that are coughing and sneezing their heads off; you definitely stand a much better chance of fading those fuckers in first class. Also the screaming baby. that appears to be another one that is almost always not in first class.

Once you get on the plane and the person next to you isn't some nightmare, all is good, but yeah at that pre-flight time I'd definitely shell out $200 if it guaranteed me a seat nowhere near the screaming baby, the sweaty 400lb jerkoff, or Patient Zero

skeeze666    64

Using Rome2rio.com I find that unless you have a car rental your best bet is to take a $40 taxi to Connellsville, then take the amtrak to Pittsburgh for about $30 (limited service lol) and then a bus to the airport for $2... About $72-$80 and 2-3 hours lol.

I'd start asking for a ride... about 90 minutes each way.

Or take your chances on getting an uber... app says $77-$102.

skeeze666    64

TSA Pre-Check, $85 for 5 years, any reason not to get this? I feel as though I am an idiot for not having done this a few years back.

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply

Yeah anyone who flies more than once or twice a year should have it. However, don't waste your time on $85 pre check when you can get Global entry for $100, which comes with pre check! Some credit cards even reimburse you for the fee. It's good for 5 years so even if you don't travel internationally now, for the extra $15 it would be worth it just in case you do. Just one time skipping customs lines is worth the fee in my opinion.

You have to sign up online and get an appointment and go in person for fingerprints and a background check and they ask you easy questions about your travel and passport.

Last time I flew international I arrived at 9pm at JFK and skipped the 300+ person customs line - you just go to a kiosk and it takes your photo and you put your hand on a scanner. Then you bypass everything and barely have to even speak to a customs guy. Also allows you to skip the extra baggage screen on your way through.

Single best thing I've ever had for travel. I've had pre check for so long that I honestly forgot how to go through a European standard security line last time - haven't taken off shoes or belt or removed liquids or electronics in over 4 years domestic except if pre check line isn't open, which does happen from time to time.

sigh, failed backround check and cant get GOES, might be able to get pre-check but havent tried lately. Only fly international almost always so pre-check wouldnt do much for me

time4badbeat    26

TSA Pre-Check, $85 for 5 years, any reason not to get this? I feel as though I am an idiot for not having done this a few years back.

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply

Well worth it. The global entry is preferred but I got pre check because I never fly international and didn't want to drive 1hr+round trip for the interview and extra lag of getting it.

JustALurker    3

OPEN-JAW FLIGHTS FROM US CITIES TO SOUTH-EAST ASIA FROM ONLY $444 ROUNDTRIP

Open-jaw flights from many US cities to a combination of many South-East Asian countries from only $444 roundtrip with United Airlines and All Nippon Airways.

Example routes:

Los Angeles – Bangkok // Kuala Lumpur – Los Angeles: $444

Los Angeles – Kuala Lumpur // Bangkok – Los Angeles: $447

San Francisco – Bangkok // Kuala Lumpur – San Francisco: $454

San Francisco – Kuala Lumpur // Bangkok – San Francisco: $455

Houston – Singapore // Jakarta – Houston: $483

http://www.secretflying.com/2016/05/mega-post-open-jaw-flights-us-cities-south-east-asia-444-roundtrip/

skeeze666    64

Southwest has opened their booking window to January 4th... If you have any speculative or confirmed travel dates and destinations go ahead and lock them in now with your points or wanna get away fares before the prices go up, especially around holidays. I quickly locked up a Thanksgiving flight home as that route always doubles or more after people start booking. With Southwest you can always cancel and get full refund of points or full $ credit to use towards future travel so there is no worry and no fee.

s1nnr    26

Agree with skeeze... we are going to Disney for thanksgiving, its dirt cheap right now... but def gonna go up quick...

Ps- we got free dining, 10 days hopper pass for 3 of us and a room at a disney resort, one sit down meal, one snack and one quick service meal for $3000

s1nnr    26

Will be our third... Went for his 7th bday March 2015, and didn't tell him until the day we left...

Then the Disney booking agency called us with free dining and 35% off rooms if we went during Halloween... It cost about 1/2 the cost of the first trip... So we went again... It was awesome, we went trick or treating in MK...

I was against it at first, but it ended up being one of the best weeks of my life...

JKoblyn    405

we went in Feb for the first time, but it was when all of new england was on winter break, so it cost $2000 just for 4 plane tickets. Luckily I used my parents' timeshare so lodging was free.