If you could go back to college as an undergrad, would you change schools?

ElGuapo77    0

If I could do it over again, I'd go to Fassion Institute of Technology. There's like one straight guy per thousand hot chicks there. Instead I went to an engineering school. One girl for every five guys and that girl was nasty.

URI_Stunna    807

Never went to college. Over here, which high school you get into is more important than which college you get into. You guys apply for colleges, we apply for high schools. The level of importance is switched. That being said, I didnt go to high school either :P

And uike the texans. Hmmm

DONKWOOD    507

What can I say. Said fuck school and started working at age 15. Strangely in my culture that wasn't frowned upon.

Texans 31 Colts 17

qjuice14    4

If I could do it over again, I'd go to Fassion Institute of Technology. There's like one straight guy per thousand hot chicks there. Instead I went to an engineering school. One girl for every five guys and that girl was nasty.

you must've been with the chem_e's; mech_e, 27:1 guy:girl ratio in my class.

to answer op, fuck yes.

kmc28    0

I'd have done a different major for sure, or at least double majored (I really did enjoy what I studied because I absolutely love earth science, but post-college life is a little more tricky with jobs).

I really liked OU. I'm not sure that I would have chosen differently given the situation.

Maybe I should just start a new thread, but I was thinking about it just now (and haven't come up with an answer yet). If grades & test scores weren't an issue and you could choose to go to any school in the US, what school would it be, and what major(s) would you study?

Xmas32    73

Really tough question to answer. I still sometimes wonder if I should've gone the small school route and played baseball (would've gone to a small NAIA school like Rockhurst in KC or Benedictine in Kansas) and done the school/sports thing. I also would've probably end up going the law school route as I was super gung-ho on that coming out of HS. Now, I really enjoyed my visits to Rockhurst and Benedictine but ultimately the small school feel had me go to a bigger school. Still, I had a lot of fun in undergrad. I know fraternities are looked down upon in OT but I still keep in touch with a good amount of the guys I pledged with 15 years after the fact. Also, some of those guys have now become my closest friends in the world...it's hard to imagine my life without them. Fun topic for discussion.

MarkFSU1    0

No, I knew I was going to FSU at a young age. But if I could go back to undergrad, I wouldve put much more effort into my grades. I finished with a 3.2ish, but I easily couldve been in the 3.8 range if I had put effort towards it. I have my Masters degree and getting better grades in undergrad wouldve been a better grad school and better job, better start to my career, etc. I am sitting for the CPA now and I work for a big company and have a job I like now, so I am not complaining, but I definitely wouldve liked to have put more effort on getting higher grades.

Preston_Luv    525

Really tough question to answer. I still sometimes wonder if I should've gone the small school route and played baseball (would've gone to a small NAIA school like Rockhurst in KC or Benedictine in Kansas) and done the school/sports thing. I also would've probably end up going the law school route as I was super gung-ho on that coming out of HS. Now, I really enjoyed my visits to Rockhurst and Benedictine but ultimately the small school feel had me go to a bigger school. Still, I had a lot of fun in undergrad. I know fraternities are looked down upon in OT but I still keep in touch with a good amount of the guys I pledged with 15 years after the fact. Also, some of those guys have now become my closest friends in the world...it's hard to imagine my life without them. Fun topic for discussion.

I don't think so...i just think that the people against them are more outspoken so it just seems that way. From my experience most people not in a greek system don't hate them...they just don't like being identified with a set group or some of the activities that might go along with them. The ones that hate them are either jeolous or unifromed. The benefits of the greek system go far beyond the college years. The networking stable that one can create by joining greek system can last a lifetime. You can access this stable at any time no matter how involved you are.

I do not stay in constant contact with many of the fraternity friends but if i was moving or needed a job all i would have to do is reach out and i would have access to opportunites that would not be there otherwise.

STOPPER19    458

I applied all over the country, and got in everywhere except PSU main campus, but decided to stay in state at Rutgers for in-state tuition. If I could change I would have gone to Arizona State or SDSU.

I loved RU, had a lot of fun, but I was such a lazy POS. I skated through classes without really trying and was satisfied with a 3.1 GPA. I definitely would have tried harder in my classes. It's not like I spent all my time partying too; there was a lot of down time that I just wasted playing video games, watching movies or playing poker and shit that I could have used to study.

I double majored, but if I could change, I'd axe my criminal justice degree. What a waste that was - not using it at all anymore and definitely won't for the rest of my life.

XquiziVex    362

Maybe, but probably not. Loved going to Rollins. Very small, intimate classes on a beautiful campus with an excellent ratio horny/talented young women to men.

Loved being able to go wake boarding <10 minutes after class and going to eat/drink on Park Ave. Rollins...highly recommended.

About_1.jpg

(oIo)    12

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Best decision I've made. I don't think I'd even change a thing with the mech engineering major. It was "free." I had an awesome job after graduation. I got to do tons of things most folks would love to do. My alumni base is strong. We have one of the best networks out there. Both if my civilian jobs have been through alumni connections.

truesyalose    936

Are there really people in this thread that chose to go $100k into debt instead of getting a free education . . . . .

when you made your college decision did you know everything you know now? I came from bumfuck Kentucky, I didn't have any guidance counselor telling me about how to plan my future. Growing up I thought it was a good thing to get into the best college possible and that would set you up for making the most $ and therefore it was smarter in the long run. I didn't want to go to Morehead State or UK like everyone else who was "succesful" in the area. The economy was also better when I started college (not that I knew that at the time).

I guess I could have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth and wouldn't have to take out 100k in loans.. that would have made life a little easier.

Neeek    268

I was fortunate enough to get a full ride scholarship plus living/book stipend to ASU. I would do it again, but maybe not fuck around so much that I still ended up with 15k in undergrad debt. Even without the free ride, I would probably go there again all things equal. Happy with the academic and fun.

That old bullshit about college being what you make of it is totally true. I tell all the kids I talk with to go to a good school that is affordable over the dream school that is absurdly expensive. Unless you got old family money, going to super expensive Harvards/Berkeleys/etc. is silly. Every graduating senior in high school has delusions of grandeur and thinks it matters, though, so doubt my advice means much.

Zeppelin    0

Unless you got old family money, going to super expensive Harvards/Berkeleys/etc. is silly.

Berkeley is a public school. Never thought of it in the same price range. Is Berkeley really more than UCLA etc (know it is more out of state residents)

Pepperdine is nice but can't imagine there is a more beautiful campus than UC Santa Cruz

Leet8s    158

I'd rather have gone to UPenn over NYU for finance but for my field there are only a few select schools you can go to. I could have also gone to UMich but I'm a New Yorker so going to NYU was fine for me.

Neeek    268

Berkeley is a public school. Never thought of it in the same price range. Is Berkeley really more than UCLA etc (know it is more out of state residents)

Pepperdine is nice but can't imagine there is a more beautiful campus than UC Santa Cruz

I actually looked it up, and UCLA is quite a bit more. I mostly just used Berkeley because I know a few/have an image of young liberal kids that want to go to Berkeley at all costs, regardless of the massive expense of out of state tuition and the equally good education achievable closer to home. People don't think of UCLA/etc. in the same way.

(oIo)    12

I'd rather have gone to UPenn over NYU for finance but for my field there are only a few select schools you can go to. I could have also gone to UMich but I'm a New Yorker so going to NYU was fine for me.

What's the deal with all of the New Yorkers that go to Michigan?

Neeek    268

But its not because you get a significantly better education from those schools. Just like any other field, I'm sure there are numerous schools where one can get an equally good/rigorous education in finance. The only difference is the prestige, connections, and entitlement that comes along with those schools. If one is supremely ambitious/motivated by perception, then it makes a difference. For most people, it doesn't.

It's the same reason that LS thinks that going to a top 10 or whatever law school is vitally important.

Neeek    268

So you don't think there's any difference in the level of education between the top finance schools and say the 50th-60th range?

The difference is in the opportunity and prestige, not the quality of the education, IMO. One with sufficient motivation could achieve equal levels of knowledge/educational attainment from 50-60 other schools, particularly on the undergraduate level.

As one's education becomes more specialized, a difference likely exists.

Leet8s    158

The difference is in the opportunity and prestige, not the quality of the education, IMO. One with sufficient motivation could achieve equal levels of knowledge/educational attainment from 50-60 other schools, particularly on the undergraduate level.

As one's education becomes more specialized, a difference likely exists.

Yea I'm gonna disagree with you. The elite schools also weed out by GPA, SAT scores, SAT II scores, AP scores, ACT scores, etc, which are usually a good indicator of a person's intelligence and companies know this. By being at these schools, which are more selective and do provide a higher level of education, companies know if they hire from these schools, they are getting the best of the best.