advertisement_alt

What is your #1 question about how to make a career in poker?

Hello fellow p5ers!!

Many people are concerned about BR, mental game but I'd be interested to know for instance how to position myself/my career as to attract sponsors and generate other sources of income with poker.

How about you? What's your #1 question about how to make a long-term career in poker?

it can be anything, even if you think it's silly. Woud be interesting to have some discussion going. Cheers!

Alan

I've had the same problem rungoodgid, I was carried away too quickly by making a career in poker, leaving my previous activity w/o a real track record as a winning player nor proof of sustainability

Doughepernan, yeah i think today there is an opportunity cost of playing poker. Not only that but does poker give you a happiest way to live your life? maybe you'd have developed more as human and feel more fullfilled in a normal job..

rungoodgid    1

Bro.....

4get about it... If you want, work really hard at your game... seek backing/coaching, but it's too late ITD tbh... tough to grind up a milly pretty quick now, maybe in 2011 it was possible if your a logic IQ genius.. I'm not, I've been working at my game for a while, and will continue... but I've accepted that I'm doing it because I really enjoy studying poker and if I run good enough EVER, to win a $m, then I'll be over the moon... But my main focus is just getting better at a game I love playing and yours should be too imo

4goet about "career this" "career that" poker wise... just love the game and have fun!... and get an inocme from somewhhere else.

maybe when you've got 1 years total liveling expenses and a $50k BR think about going pro, not before.

GL on you joureny all the same, just my 2 cents

JustALurker    3

Bro.....

4get about it... If you want, work really hard at your game... seek backing/coaching, but it's too late ITD tbh... tough to grind up a milly pretty quick now, maybe in 2011 it was possible if your a logic IQ genius.. I'm not, I've been working at my game for a while, and will continue... but I've accepted that I'm doing it because I really enjoy studying poker and if I run good enough EVER, to win a $m, then I'll be over the moon... But my main focus is just getting better at a game I love playing and yours should be too imo

4goet about "career this" "career that" poker wise... just love the game and have fun!... and get an inocme from somewhhere else.

maybe when you've got 1 years total liveling expenses and a $50k BR think about going pro, not before.

I've got $2.53 in my BR at 888 and I'm going pro! Watch for updates in the near future. I will run my $2.53 up to $100k before I hit $0....or so I'm told.

Bro.....

Good point bro, agree with most of it.

Even tough you're not a pro or make a living out of poker you, if you're a serious player (vs recreational) you can still think about your poker journey as a long-term "side career"

By that I mean there are things you can do today to maximize your chance of achieving success playing poker in the longer term (or avoiding going bankrupt). Instead of saying, i'm not gonna do a living with that, let's improve every day, you must still treat your poker as a business, pay attention to BRM, otherwise you might take the mindset of a losing player

Clarkson7    0

My #1 question is how the f is some1 going to view my resume and say yehhh I'll hire you somehow when it says online poker 2010-2020....hopefully that day never comes.

depends where you apply, but yeah, poker generally doesn't go down well on CVs unfortunately. If it's a shorter gap, maybe say you travelled the world and did charity work or something.