Advice needed: Tough spot on $16.50 turbo FT

Question

ImYourBluff    0

My 1st post here and just wanted to see what the consensus was for this hand.

We had just gotten to the FT of the $16.50 20k gtd turbo. 9 handed utg I get JJ and min raise (sb 12.5k bb 25k). I have 470k to start the hand and get shoved on by the table chip leader (890k). There are 2 stacks on the table that have between 250-350 in chips and one with 400K, all stacks relatively close together.

At the time it seemed like a standard call for 19bb after min raising, I imagine the big stack shove range to be AK AQ AJs and 88+ , does this seem like the right call to make or can I get away from this? Winning the pot would have put me in the clear chip lead with 40bb and a great spot to take it down.

He had AKs and hit the K on the turn, but I was happy with the call at the time and I think I still am now. Appreciate all feedback.

Cheers,

Mike

4 answers to this question

racer    0

you said it..you win this flip and your in a solid position to make a run a this tournament win. Just unlucky, I would think you would need a really solid read make a laydown at this point facing a big stack shove. Think of it this way...you make a standard raise, (albeit utg which looks stronger) but the big stack can shove a bunch of hands that JJ plays well against, also realizing you could be dominating him, makes it a call imo.

To fold this here in that spot, I think you would be second guessing yourself, and not happy that you had to lay down JJ.

So, be happy with the call, just run better:-)

SSSMforlife    0

Given the other stack sizes (no super short stacks) this is probably a call. I'd put it into an ICM calc though to really make sure as our calling range here should be very tight. If there were 1 or 2 stacks under 5bb it would probably be a fold - but again I'd have to run it in a calc to know for sure.

Rihard4a    5

no brain call for me, if i know that the spot is plus ev and it will make my chances to ship the mtt i will take it with no regrets. just remember that there is never 100 percent guarantee to win allin preflop. you are always either ahead or behind, even when ahead we sometimes lose and vice versa. nothing to worry about, next time you will ship it.

Piyush16    0

I think JJ is a call here given the fact that it is the chip leader that shoved on u. His range should be slightly wider than the rest. Also winning this pot puts you in pole position so there is way more benefit to calling compared to the downsides. You are currently 6/9 and the shorter stacks are not that far off. So i would happily get it in here w JJ. This spot becomes way more interesting if you had something like 88 or 99. will definitely need an icm calc for that to figure out the best play