advertisement_alt
Gronksknee

OT 2017 weightlifting/powerlifting.

I got to start remembering to take my straps with me on deadlift/back day. Keep losing my grip. Pulled 305 for a set of 4 tonight. Feels like that is pretty decent for someone who just started dead lifting.

I leave for vacation on Saturday, going out to LA and staying in Venice. Plan to go workout out at the Mecca a few times on my trip. Can't wait to check that place out.

Don't use straps do farmers carries to build your grip strength on leg day. 305 is a nice Pole but I unimagined you have a lot of linear progression left in you don't sell yourself short now by using straps build your grip strength

The main reason I would use the straps is because the smith machine that I have to use for the DL's the bar is kinda slick and likes to slip out of my hands. If I had gloves or chalk I would probably be fine on grip but I only have straps. Probably going to switch to a better gym in the next month or so where I'll have actually squat racks and room to do shit.

Does your gym have a bench? When I'm traveling I've just taken the Olympic bar from the bench and DL at the foot of the bench. As long as you don't make too much noise during warmup, your heavy set will be over before they have time to complain.

if you're not going to compete in Weightlifting or Powerlifting then I would absolutely say use straps during deadlifts. If you really are worried about grip strength (you shouldn't be if not competing) then get grip work in on other exercises: farmers walks are great, heavy DB shrugs, literally just taking out and holding heavy DBs or a heavy BB, etc.

If you are going to compete in WL then get working on your hook grip it gets better after sucking ass for awhile. If you're gonna compete in PL then use a mixed grip.

if you're not going to compete in Weightlifting or Powerlifting then I would absolutely say use straps during deadlifts. If you really are worried about grip strength (you shouldn't be if not competing) then get grip work in on other exercises: farmers walks are great, heavy DB shrugs, literally just taking out and holding heavy DBs or a heavy BB, etc.

If you are going to compete in WL then get working on your hook grip it gets better after sucking ass for awhile. If you're gonna compete in PL then use a mixed grip.

I found the guy with weak grip strength. :)

Got in a workout at Golds Venice yesterday. Good Lord that place was like a sauna I sweat my ass off the entire time. Saw Dexter Jackson hitting some legs when I was there. They fucking get ur ass for 25 bucks for a day pass. O well it was fun just to say i got a workout in there.

Today I went down to hit the gym at muscle beach. It's only 10 bucks a day so that was nice. I had the entire place to myself, was the only person there. Can only imagine the disappointment people had walking by expecting some huge bodybuilders only to be stuck with just me.

I found the guy with weak grip strength. :)

If you lift weights you're already in the 99th percentile for grip strength. Every time you do a pulldown, row, bench press, basically any lift you are getting grip work in. It's all worthless unless you are again competing in some kind of lifting or are a rock climber or something and grip strength is important.

Otherwise it's meaningless and just an ego thing and brings in an unnecessary increased injury risk. For the average lifter it's a no brainer to just use straps on deadlifts. Staying injury free is the name of the game.

And yes with proper form and a mixed grip or hook grip injury risk is low but there's no question it's even lower with straps. I'm 98% confident my nagging back issue was from mixed grip and I've seen enough seasoned lifters tear a bicep to know that novices even at half the weight have that added risk as well, even again if a small one. (especially the idiots you see at the gym with a bent elbow deadlifting, makes me shiver watching it)

Silent Mike is the man. I always hated Mark Bell but been a fan of mike he has a way of explaining stuff so well and is always spot on imo

And obviously I completely agree with him about straps/grip. Like I said above I actually came to the same realization as mike when I was trying to figure out wtf was causing my nagging back issue and eventually thought maybe it was too many sets with mixed grip and switched to straps and it went away. And likewise with him I have no doubt that if I signed up for a meet that I could get my grip hundreds of pounds stronger than it needs to be in no time flat. Grip isn't a limiting factor (for most people) until you get stupid high DL weights which I'll never touch. When training for a meet I have a million things in my head and grip doesn't come close to being one of them.

It's almost like he was lurking the thread and we inspired the video, you here mike?

Yeah, Smelly Bell and his "don't use roids like me and everyone I train" shtick is beyond puke worthy. Glad Mike found his own path and didn't stay wrapped up in that nonsense and off the juice.

did him and bell have a break up? haven't watched any of their videos in probably 2-3 years.

Bell is a snake, he is after one thing and that's money and he will promote whatever lines his pockets (he's admittedly good at it, one of the few successful fitness guys good for him but I still despise him). My favorite was his little no carb phase a few years ago, "carbs are the enemy EXCEPT for this energy bar thing, these carbs are what I call "perfect carbs"!!!!!

If you lift weights you're already in the 99th percentile for grip strength. Every time you do a pulldown, row, bench press, basically any lift you are getting grip work in. It's all worthless unless you are again competing in some kind of lifting or are a rock climber or something and grip strength is important.

Otherwise it's meaningless and just an ego thing and brings in an unnecessary increased injury risk. For the average lifter it's a no brainer to just use straps on deadlifts. Staying injury free is the name of the game.

And yes with proper form and a mixed grip or hook grip injury risk is low but there's no question it's even lower with straps. I'm 98% confident my nagging back issue was from mixed grip and I've seen enough seasoned lifters tear a bicep to know that novices even at half the weight have that added risk as well, even again if a small one. (especially the idiots you see at the gym with a bent elbow deadlifting, makes me shiver watching it)

For that matter, why would any non-competitive weight lifter do traditional DL. Trap-bar is much more ergonomic and works basically the same muscles.

I think you also need to put things in perspective. Strap guy is only pulling 305. I'm an older lifter, so I start using a Belt very early in my warmup compared to younger bucks. I get the safety first angle. But If your still in LP and you could pull more if you could just hang on to the bar, then some grip training is probably a good idea.

did him and bell have a break up? haven't watched any of their videos in probably 2-3 years.

Bell is a snake, he is after one thing and that's money and he will promote whatever lines his pockets (he's admittedly good at it, one of the few successful fitness guys good for him but I still despise him). My favorite was his little no carb phase a few years ago, "carbs are the enemy EXCEPT for this energy bar thing, these carbs are what I call "perfect carbs"!!!!!

He left Super Training shortly after getting his Reebok deal and always says "we're still friends" but hasn't shot a training video at ST since. Looks like he's at Alan Thrall's gym when he's home based on the last few training videos.

I've never liked the Bell's. They scream used car salesman but for some reason they're able to get hordes of people to buy into their bullshit.

For that matter, why would any non-competitive weight lifter do traditional DL. Trap-bar is much more ergonomic and works basically the same muscles.

I think you also need to put things in perspective. Strap guy is only pulling 305. I'm an older lifter, so I start using a Belt very early in my warmup compared to younger bucks. I get the safety first angle. But If your still in LP and you could pull more if you could just hang on to the bar, then some grip training is probably a good idea.

They're fun and a great compound lift and really not all that dangerous if done properly. Things like using straps just take away a chunk of the already small injury risk if you're doing the movement properly. But yeah trap bar or sumos are great too.

I belt up real quick on squats/DLs, not because I have to necessarily but because wearing a belt changes the entire movement so may as well warm up the way I'm going to do it with working sets.

Not sure what "LP" is. A lot of the time not being able to hang onto the bar at commercial gyms is a product of their shitty bars + no chalk and not necessarily even an issue with grip strength. With a good DL bar and chalk grip is almost never the limiting factor for non-advanced DLers.

He left Super Training shortly after getting his Reebok deal and always says "we're still friends" but hasn't shot a training video at ST since. Looks like he's at Alan Thrall's gym when he's home based on the last few training videos.

I've never liked the Bell's. They scream used car salesman but for some reason they're able to get hordes of people to buy into their bullshit.

I'm gonna guess since he actually has a soul he got out. Alan seems like a standup dude too always like him and his videos.

They're fun and a great compound lift and really not all that dangerous if done properly. Things like using straps just take away a chunk of the already small injury risk if you're doing the movement properly. But yeah trap bar or sumos are great too.

I belt up real quick on squats/DLs, not because I have to necessarily but because wearing a belt changes the entire movement so may as well warm up the way I'm going to do it with working sets.

Not sure what "LP" is. A lot of the time not being able to hang onto the bar at commercial gyms is a product of their shitty bars + no chalk and not necessarily even an issue with grip strength. With a good DL bar and chalk grip is almost never the limiting factor for non-advanced DLers.

I'm gonna guess since he actually has a soul he got out. Alan seems like a standup dude too always like him and his videos.

So I love deadlifting, and if you know what you are doing they are definitely the safest compund lift IMO. However, if you don't know what you're it's a very injury prone movement, especially because the starting position isn't all that intuitive. Trap-bar is much more intuitive IMO and therefore less injury prone for recreational lifter.

But I think you also touched on something that is important to this discussion - fun! People lift for different reasons. Some people want to double overhand grip just for the challenge, I think that's fine. I think it's fine to use straps too, your point about the equipment is valid, the guy even said he thought that was the problem.

By LP I mean linear progression, basically if you are just starting out and can't hold on to the bar Id suggest some farmers carries. Just like if someone were just starting out on sqaut and your knees were coming together I might suggest some ankle, abducter, or glute assistance work. I guess your saying grip isn't that important to the lift, ok I guess, but I think that depends on how pure a stance you want to take on the movement.