advertisement_alt
ShootersJP

Final Table OSS#74 $10k GTD on ACR/Black Chip

Question

Well since I cannot locate the final hand in my hand history and after 1 hour with chat and phone support (or lack there of) I still do not have the exact hand history to post.

Final two tables have just been combined and I am in the small blind with 13-14 big blinds. I am in either 7th or 8th place in chip stack size.

1st pays $2,700 2nd $2,005 3rd $1,523 4th $1,091 5th $798 6th $635 7th $472 8th $309 9th $167

The villain is the dealer button who shoves their stack when the table folds to them. They barely have me covered. I have A9o and choose to call. I have no read on the villain since they just merged with my table. My feeling at the time was that it was a button steal so I chose to call. Villain had AKo

Correct move or am I supposed to fold???

All advice is greatly appreciated!!!

4 answers to this question

It's sort of close.

Clock can factor into this too, do we have 1 minute or 10 minutes before the blinds change sorf of thing?

One thing's for sure, no one can say that your call was was entirely terrible.

With it getting back to him on the BTN unopened he could be jamming wider than what we'd normally be expecting.

The only thing is, A9o is not going to be crushing too much of the stuff in his BTN open jamming range, it is however going to be a 60% favourite against a decent part of that range....

Had we been in the BB then I think us calling would be a little bit easier.

Given that we're in the SB and have only contributed 0.5x and some ante, and will be getting the BTN next (so will therefore have good position for a little while), I think I would lean more towards folding.

You really just got incredibly unlucky to run into the top of his jamming range.

You could easily have ran into him doing this with KQ too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Carl.

Support got back to me with the hand history. Here are the starting stack sizes. The rest of the hand history is exactly as I discribed so not going to copy and paste it all. The hand history does not mention the time situation in relation to the blinds.

Seat1 is the Button

Seat 1: KittensAreCute (589331).

Seat 2: 9Baller-KS (435798).

Seat 3: airedaleo5 (364244).

Seat 4: k_schezz (1919415).

Seat 5: CarterForrest (445622).

Seat 6: MarkLapino (1267045).

Seat 7: goldmember02420 (619510).

Seat 8: JayRacks07 (1510568).

Seat 9: Cbacked (993467).

Final two tables have just been combined and I am in the small blind with 13-14 big blinds. I am in either 7th or 8th place in chip stack size.

1st pays $2,700 2nd $2,005 3rd $1,523 4th $1,091 5th $798 6th $635 7th $472 8th $309 9th $167

This is where Sit N Go Strategy and ICM comes into play. You are sitting in 7th or 8th place and you are not entirely desperate at the moment with 13 BBs. I know it seems scary, but you have time to wait for another spot. Your game here is to find spots to steal the blinds and if you happened to get called get lucky and chip up. You don't want it to be the other way around unless you have a premium holding. Let some of the other guys defend their blinds and battle each other while you creep up the pay ladder.

According to ChipEV this is an easy call. But in the first hand of the final table, I am probably folding even if there is a small +EV ICM wise. You are in the SB meaning that if you fold you still have almost a full orbit to find a spot where you can shove all-in. It is always better to push all-in than call all-in in ICM spots. So if you have no reads it is better to pass even if people will laugh at you. I get laughed at in these spots quite a lot but it doesn't stop me paying the bills. :D A lot of people go way too strict with ICM ranges, which is OK, but in the end, you are playing for the tournament you are in right now. The ranges show EV for all-in situations over a long period of time. Short-term you can make drastic adjustments and fold a bit more. If there are other shorties you can let them fight their way out as well.

Well since I cannot locate the final hand in my hand history and after 1 hour with chat and phone support (or lack there of) I still do not have the exact hand history to post.

The villain is the dealer button who shoves their stack when the table folds to them. They barely have me covered. I have A9o and choose to call. I have no read on the villain since they just merged with my table. My feeling at the time was that it was a button steal so I chose to call. Villain had AKo

Correct move or am I supposed to fold???

All advice is greatly appreciated!!!

With 0 reads on your opponent, how can you be sure he was simply blind stealing in this spot? Villain could be an absolute nit, we cant know without history. You did pretty well to get to this stage of the tournament and i cant help but think a slightly hasty call here has cost you money. We've all done it, to be fair. My thinking would have been that if we fold vs this villain then our stack essentially remains the same. 12bb v 13bb or so, whoop-d-doo. I'd rather muck this hand and see what the deck brings in the next couple. I f folded to your BTN/CO then you're free to ship pretty wide here and try and pick up the blinds, which may allow you a few more hands, or even an orbit, to pick up something strong to get it in with. As played, i don't really dislike the call, but i think folding would, or at least could, have been more beneficial but it is close. How strong an A do we fold here v a villain we have no history with? Do we call A9s? ATo? A2-5s? AJo + seems like more in the snap-call region but some of these middling and wheel-draw holdings are a bit iffy for me personally.