saca

looking for some pipe

I've been fucking around trying to find a way to toast banh mi bread at a pop up restaurant. It's usually outside on the street, so no power. I've got propane all over the place but i'm not doing enough constant volume to keep a portable oven hot via gas. In Vietnam they don't toast them, which is all well and good but I"m not really worried about being authentic and I like toasted bread.

I think I've found the solution, but I'm not sure where to get a piece of it, or if my original choice of ceramic is the best option... here is the plan

yY4qA1p.jpg

I'm going to get a cheap charcoal grill, knock a hole in it, lower in a pipe... think cooking chamber, with a vented end... and then seal it all back up so its part of the lid and will just barely hover over the coals, giving me an even cook on all sides of the bread in what I am hoping will be around 10 seconds

is ceramic the best material? do they sell ceramic tubes and if so where? I kind of want to use cast iron but i cant have the whole thing being top heavy and fuck off to the right anytime I bump into it

even heat displacement with a lot of retention is the goal, what kind of pipe should i get?

Ceramic seems good, but how are you going to seal the interface between the grill top and the ceramic? I'd probably just go with a steal pipe on top and weld it to the kettle top. Steel would be easier to find, lighter, and less brittle. The ceramic would have better conductive properties, but considering the cooking is being done submerged in a kettle surrounded by heat and the exposure is only 10 seconds, I can't imagine it would give you that big of an edge. Even though steel won't hold heat as well as ceramic it will heat faster so that is also something to consider . If I'm jamming I'd rather have somthing that heats quickly.

Guest Hank H1LL
Pretty sure that diagram is all hankhill needs to make u one.

this OP. if you decide to go with plastic I'm your guy.

but if I'm reading it right your heat is gonna be uneven. I get that you want heat radiating from above so the tube is a good shape, but I think you need to get it directly above your fire somehow.

I'd probably start with something like this. it's simpler and you only need to attach the tube to a grill grate, and the tube should heat evenly enough, especially if you keep the lid on when you aren't using it.

if you're talking about ceramic like they use in pizza ovens that's a good idea. ray asked a good question though about how you'd join it to the lid. cast iron is another option, and then stainless. some regular heavy gauge mild steel will be cheaper but idk what food regulations say. it would oxidize pretty quickly anyway. they'll all be a challenge to work with if you're trying to do it yourself.

QjgHt1j.png

this OP. if you decide to go with plastic I'm your guy.

but if I'm reading it right your heat is gonna be uneven. I get that you want heat radiating from above so the tube is a good shape, but I think you need to get it directly above your fire somehow.

I'd probably start with something like this. it's simpler and you only need to attach the tube to a grill grate, and the tube should heat evenly enough, especially if you keep the lid on when you aren't using it.

if you're talking about ceramic like they use in pizza ovens that's a good idea. ray asked a good question though about how you'd join it to the lid. cast iron is another option, and then stainless. some regular heavy gauge mild steel will be cheaper but idk what food regulations say. it would oxidize pretty quickly anyway. they'll all be a challenge to work with if you're trying to do it yourself.

QjgHt1j.png

You may be able to spary ceramic the mild steel. Or maybe even just high heat paint.

A plancha press may good solution too if there is electric.

Guest Hank H1LL

electric is cheating, ray! he said he doesn't have power. I'm sure they make gas toaster style ovens for camping but idk what the cost would be, or if it would be any easier than keeping charcoal going. propane is probably cheaper in countries without regulations haha.

idk if any of this is better than throwing it on the grill and flipping it halfway. I'm not feeling the original idea because toasting is mostly about radiating heat into the bread. so it will be hot as fuck in your ceramic grill vagina but I'm not sure all that extra heat will get you any further. that's why I went to the tube on the grill idea. it would be cool having the whole hook contraption but I'm not sure it would work better than going simple. plus if you use gravity the tube would be at an angle with horizontal and you'd have constant uneven heating issues.

just my thoughts though. if you do something weird post pictures imo.

edit - you could also make something so you could dump coals over a steel plate, above the food, so it acts more like a broiler.

or like this, so it would heat more evenly:

M3sLQ82.png

Small Dutch oven on top of charcoal. Boom!!!!

thats literally exactly what i did last pop up, an old school dutch oven over a grill

the issues I'm facing are A) I am doing everything to order, no sandbagging 3) I want the shit to be a conversation starter G) I'm usually drinking a growler of wine 2>1) the whole thing is a tip of the hat to dodgy street food and the dodgier it looks the better

I realized using gravity was dumb not long before i passed out last night and decided to do a flat pipe over the coals with both ends open, with a plunger situation on one side so i could just push it in/push it out

that said, the broiler idea hank posted is a game changer, I think I'll actually build it to where the pipe is open on both ends, with a plunger/cap on one end... and bury the whole thing in coals, with a swayable cap on the entrance end, so i lift it, toss the bread in the chamber, wait 5 seconds, push the plunger, boom, bread pops out fully toasted

like a wave pool except more child urine

ok fuckers. i came up with a working model for this, documented and all. i have no way to get this file of all the pictures on here. the only time saca calls me, it's not saca, it's his lady friend looking for him. somebody give me an eamail addy and i'll ship the PDF. i'll fire it off after dark or another 30 pack. but all indications says it works and has sufficient street cred to get him banned in most parishes

Guest Hank H1LL
ok fuckers. i came up with a working model for this, documented and all. i have no way to get this file of all the pictures on here. the only time saca calls me, it's not saca, it's his lady friend looking for him. somebody give me an eamail addy and i'll ship the PDF. i'll fire it off after dark or another 30 pack. but all indications says it works and has sufficient street cred to get him banned in most parishes

lol here is Nasty's prototype. I think it has potential.

XSo1Jwt.jpg

Vux2LkS.jpg

q4eiKtV.jpg

gudmS13.jpg

LWmMGuN.jpg

oMDpqgn.jpg

iA10ebp.jpg

Mhv4zhh.jpg

tFYxoB7.jpg

iYzE5J6.jpg

k3zmNwa.jpg

zPAuSVr.jpg