Reggie66

Did I Play This Correctly?

Question

Did I play this ok? Honestly this tournament was full of donks. Villain was complaining how PokerStars is rigged and favors the big stacks...

PokerStars Hand #183760829617: Tournament #1837823208, $9.10+$0.90 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (50/100) - 2018/03/27 11:07:01 ET

Table '1837823208 1' 9-max Seat #4 is the button

Seat 1: JAYINNJ (2579 in chips)

Seat 2: z1960 (4814 in chips)

Seat 3: rivermagnet9 (2870 in chips) is sitting out

Seat 4: allin1199885 (8194 in chips)

Seat 6: gbuch66 (5829 in chips)

Seat 8: hof49 (3960 in chips)

Seat 9: rbonessss333 (5460 in chips)

JAYINNJ: posts the ante 10

z1960: posts the ante 10

rivermagnet9: posts the ante 10

allin1199885: posts the ante 10

gbuch66: posts the ante 10

hof49: posts the ante 10

rbonessss333: posts the ante 10

gbuch66: posts small blind 50

hof49: posts big blind 100

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to gbuch66 [6c 8c]

rbonessss333: folds

JAYINNJ: folds

z1960: raises 320 to 420

rivermagnet9: folds

allin1199885: folds

gbuch66: calls 370

hof49: calls 320

*** FLOP *** [Qs 6h 6s]

gbuch66: checks

hof49: bets 500

z1960: calls 500

gbuch66: calls 500

*** TURN *** [Qs 6h 6s] [8s]

gbuch66: checks

hof49: checks

z1960: checks

*** RIVER *** [Qs 6h 6s 8s] [Td]

gbuch66: bets 300

hof49: calls 300

z1960: raises 3584 to 3884 and is all-in

gbuch66: raises 1015 to 4899 and is all-in

hof49: folds

Uncalled bet (1015) returned to gbuch66

*** SHOW DOWN ***

gbuch66: shows [6c 8c] (a full house, Sixes full of Eights)

z1960: shows [8d 8h] (a full house, Eights full of Sixes)

z1960 collected 10898 from pot

23 answers to this question

fold pre, bet bigger on the river

I have been studying a preflop raise chart. My hand is "raise" on the chart from the small blind where I was. Now if the villain limped should I have raised pre or is it a fold every time?

I have been studying a preflop raise chart. My hand is "raise" on the chart from the small blind where I was. Now if the villain limped should I have raised pre or is it a fold every time?

If villian limped I would just call from sb. Im going to guess the raise chart means, if it folded to you, you should raise this hand which I agree with.

Also, while there is some merit to raising on the flop, we dont want 88 to fold this flop... he has 1 out. He hit it, its just unlucky and a cooler.

That’s if it’s folded to you. Not if someone else raised. You’re not good enough to play this hand optimally from the sb oop when someone else raises. Fold and move on. Otherwise bet bigger on the river. Maybe 3bet pre instead of calling

That’s if it’s folded to you. Not if someone else raised. You’re not good enough to play this hand optimally from the sb oop when someone else raises. Fold and move on. Otherwise bet bigger on the river. Maybe 3bet pre instead of calling

And by "not good enough" you mean?

And by "not good enough" you mean?

meaning you'll make too many mistakes post flop to make the hand profitable. It's a really tough hand to play unless you hit the goods or a sick draw. I often fold there myself because I don't want to get in trouble with like a mid or 3rd pair and then I have to play a guessing game.

edit: it's not bad to call there, it's just very tough to play that OOP. Most of the time you'll end up leaking unnecessary chips.

I like a 3bet better, to take control of the hand. You'll often win it pre and chip up a little bit. Although I play post flop very well and it seems that you could use some improvement so like I said just fold

I prefer 3bet/fold line but not 3betting the 4x open at this point, so I d fold. as played don't get the turn check or the tiny river bet- build a pot and try to get paid as much as possible because most of the time you are golden in this spot.

After looking at the action. This is one of those hands where it's up to the poker gods. If you jam the flop, I think he is calling and no one is folding a full-house after the turn. Perhaps if this was a cash game, more consideration would be given by each player. In your post you said you were playing with donks... good luck getting them to fold. Poker Gods screwed you.

After looking at the action. This is one of those hands where it's up to the poker gods. If you jam the flop, I think he is calling and no one is folding a full-house after the turn. Perhaps if this was a cash game, more consideration would be given by each player. In your post you said you were playing with donks... good luck getting them to fold. Poker Gods screwed you.

Unfortunately when your a broke college kid $5 tournaments are in my wheel house, as long as everyone and theyre mom. just lost with KQs to K8 off after i raised 4x pre. unreal This particular villain was bitching that PokerStars is rigged and favors big stacks...

Unfortunately when your a broke college kid $5 tournaments are in my wheel house, as long as everyone and theyre mom. just lost with KQs to K8 off after i raised 4x pre. unreal This particular villain was bitching that PokerStars is rigged and favors big stacks...

Why are you raising 4x pre? Did someone limp? Otherwise this raise is too big unlisted it’s the absolute beginning of the tournament

Easy fold pre imo. As played it's way too passive. We flopped huge and should be aiming to get the money in here rather than trying to be cute and hoping villain does the leg work for us. Result is irrelevant, main error is being in the hand in the first place.

I think fold pre flop, if you are with a table of donks it is probably worth waiting for a better position that 6, 8 suited oop.

Once you have called pre its kind of a cooler. Maybe put in a check raise on the flop leaving you with a shove sized bet on the turn to scare of draws. The spade draw was very cheap on that flop

remember one thing (seriously) I'm breaking code but oh well its been awhile and idc. Not being mean at all but this is the truth and I noticed this many years back. Really good poker players don't use the word donk, they dont call players donks , remember that and now aim higher glgl my friend.

remember one thing (seriously) I'm breaking code but oh well its been awhile and idc. Not being mean at all but this is the truth and I noticed this many years back. Really good poker players don't use the word donk, they dont call players donks , remember that and now aim higher glgl my friend.

Then what should i refer to them as???