advertisement_alt
double_kyan

AJo UTG+1 spot / looking for other players mindset here

Question

13 answers to this question

Well, obviously if we weren't worried about getting snapped off/shoved on from behind we are printing money calling here.

To give valuable input i would need to know the stack sizes and stats(if possible) of the players behind. Also, what stage of the tournament is it? I'm going to assume approaching the bubble judging by blinds. Also, what is the average stack in the tourney? Are you right at average? Above? Far below? These are all variables that influence my decisions at all times so I can't really definitively tell you what i would do unless I have this information.

Sorry it was def a cliff note description ,but I think we need the knowledge of full ring (8max) more then anything here since It wasnt like i had 150k to his 12k and then maybe we can ask what were stacks behind us. Basically we were roughly 14 from ITM. About 59 peeps left my stack was about a top 3ish for the table but utg was our SS. This is a clear muck for me. I don't want to open up myself to what I call Stack Disaster. Calling here is no different than 6x raising and exposing me and my stack to some serious problems. I did get to see his hand and he shoved A8s behind me shoved with 99 . A8s won with flush , however what results came from UTG are irrelevant IMO. We wouldve been exposed here to make a decision though and sure this wont happen everytime. i just found this hand as something to post I think if I posted this hand 8 years ago. i would get flooded with a wide mix of opinions . My responsee are just my opinions GLGL

I agree then, 14 from itm and being a top 3 stack at your table already. The last thing you want to do is put yourself in a spot that threatens your leverage at the table approaching the bubble. There will be plenty of spots nearing the bubble that you can use to pressure your shorter opponents, even with only 25 bb. Fold would be my standard here in favor of preserving my position at the table.

I agree then, 14 from itm and being a top 3 stack at your table already. The last thing you want to do is put yourself in a spot that threatens your leverage at the table approaching the bubble. There will be plenty of spots nearing the bubble that you can use to pressure your shorter opponents, even with only 25 bb. Fold would be my standard here in favor of preserving my position at the table.

How about pairs - what's the lowest pair you're shipping here off 25bb?

Cool. Must admit, I didn't think you would jam as low as 66 here. Certainly not arguing against that, just figured maybe 88+. I'll have to keep that in mind going forward as I'm probably too tight in these types of situations. Cheers dude.

Cool. Must admit, I didn't think you would jam as low as 66 here. Certainly not arguing against that, just figured maybe 88+. I'll have to keep that in mind going forward as I'm probably too tight in these types of situations. Cheers dude.

Well as you keep that in mind, also keep in mind that your ranges should change a bit according to table dynamics as i'm sure you know. The range I posted would just be a standard for me, but constant adjustments are key to running deep in tournaments IMO ;)

personally, I shove. Especially in 8 max. You wont be called behind often enough to make this profitable. Get those 8bbs that are in the pot and continue on with 33bbs. You always have to be looking to gain chips. You have to get real lucky to win tournaments. So you have to take every plus ev spot that you can get.

edit: on a different note: you'll never or very rarely see me under 10bbs. This is because I take my plus ev spots and I'm not afraid to get it in. I also play lag which often induces light 3bets and light calls which makes it easier to get a huge stack. It's not uncommen for me to have 3 or 4 tournaments that I'm in the top 10 in chips when I'm running well.