advertisement_alt
Reggie66

GoodShove

Question

I know this was really loose, but this villain was trying to steal every pot by over betting .Was this a good shove knowing i had the best of it pre? I know it was basically a coin toss

PokerStars Hand #186944081660: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02 USD) - 2018/06/12 18:25:17 ET

Table 'Mizar' 6-max Seat #2 is the button

Seat 2: gbuch66 ($2.20 in chips)

Seat 3: norraist ($2.75 in chips)

Seat 4: martiny236 ($1.39 in chips)

Seat 5: HannaP23 ($1.63 in chips)

norraist: posts small blind $0.01

martiny236: posts big blind $0.02

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to gbuch66 [7c 7h]

HannaP23: raises $0.06 to $0.08

gbuch66: raises $0.20 to $0.28

norraist: folds

martiny236: folds

HannaP23: raises $0.24 to $0.52

gbuch66: raises $1.68 to $2.20 and is all-in

HannaP23: calls $1.11 and is all-in

Uncalled bet ($0.57) returned to gbuch66

*** FLOP *** [3h 2d 2c]

*** TURN *** [3h 2d 2c] [Ks]

*** RIVER *** [3h 2d 2c Ks] [8d]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

HannaP23: shows [Qs 8s] (two pair, Eights and Deuces)

gbuch66: shows [7c 7h] (two pair, Sevens and Deuces)

HannaP23 collected $3.14 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot $3.29 | Rake $0.15

Board [3h 2d 2c Ks 8d]

Seat 2: gbuch66 (button) showed [7c 7h] and lost with two pair, Sevens and Deuces

Seat 3: norraist (small blind) folded before Flop

Seat 4: martiny236 (big blind) folded before Flop

Seat 5: HannaP23 showed [Qs 8s] and won ($3.14) with two pair, Eights and Deuces

19 answers to this question

I know people can 3 bet & 4 bet with absolute turd hands at these stakes.

You are flipping vs his actual hand but if he was a true loony and 3 or 4 betting with every hand he opened you could be ahead. You have to be careful with your reads though. Did you have a decent hand sample? Had you seen him 4 betting loose before? Was he always super wide first in?

What was his image of you, had you been playing aggresively too?

You just need to be aware that these guys are never folding preflop and once he 4bets to 52cents from a $1.63 stack he is probably not folding & you are playing 81bb with 77´s.

What I´m trying to say is that you will suffer more variance playing this way but if your read was solid and you knew he could easily turn up with 10 3o then with 77´s I´m not folding either!

HOWEVER, I prefer to take lower variance routes where possible. Check out his stats & start playing exploitively. High 3 bet but low 4 bet, then you fold and not rip.

How did he play post flop? I seen guys with high aggression preflop but who were wimps postflop. Then you just flat and take it away postflop.........

Be clever & exploit these aggro´s even if it means you have to fold sometimes.

EDIT: Play around with equilab and ranges, you´ll get a better idea for next time these type of situations arise.

I just signed up for TPE and that was my first take away,"play with an equity calculator" i don't have a HUD as of yet, not enough cash flow, this particular villain was 5-6x pre flop every hand. He did it at least the 15 prior hands,thinking back he did show more passive behavior post flop. I knew my read was correct as i feel most of my reads are, my problem comes when i know i have the best hand over a draw and variance always seems to catch up and bite me in ass. How do i limit my exposure to being called by weaker hands and still get value? I'll raise like 1/3 pot to 1/2 pot with trips or a premium pair like QQand lose to 2 pair like J-3 or a flush that hits on the river

I just signed up for TPE and that was my first take away,"play with an equity calculator" i don't have a HUD as of yet, not enough cash flow.

I'll raise like 1/3 pot to 1/2 pot with trips or a premium pair like QQand lose to 2 pair like J-3 or a flush that hits on the river

2 points:

1) Pocket fives often has promotions where you sign up to a poker site via this webpage and receive hold em manager and 3 months to a training site or the like....look out for these promotions.

2) Remember you want to get called by J3 cos in the long run you will win. Yeah, cheezy & cliche and some downswings I´m wondering how long the "long run" is?! Bad variance stings but you have to harden to it & one has to be able to direct those negative feelings to positive energy & review hands & study more. Just like excesses of any kind can leave you feeling off par, too much bad variance can effect your game.

I´ve finished a session or two and thought "I played ok", then reviewed and thought "wtf was I doing"!! Much easier just to blame variance & not flaws.

How do i limit my exposure to being called by weaker hands and still get value?
Don't think this is the right thought process Reggie; you need to maximize your exposure to poor hands - preferably heads up and in position. Sometimes you lose even though you have the best hand and there is nothing you can do about it. It can be frustrating to lose to dross hands but it's a liability of playing poker and not something you should gripe about too much because that frustration can easily transform itself into hardcore permatilt.

If you do get a HUD look at your allin results post and preflop and observe the deviation of EV and your actual results, can be interesting, you may even find that you run above EV in some aspects. GL.

Don't think this is the right thought process Reggie; you need to maximize your exposure to poor hands - preferably heads up and in position. Sometimes you lose even though you have the best hand and there is nothing you can do about it. It can be frustrating to lose to dross hands but it's a liability of playing poker and not something you should gripe about too much because that frustration can easily transform itself into hardcore permatilt.

Perfectly put.

Thanks for the feedback. I just feel like I'm a better player than a lot of the players i see at the .01/.02 table, and these downswings don't help in confirming that. Good news is I had KK cracked on the flop, AA cracked on the flop,and AA lose to QJ pre flop all in when he hit two pair runner runner and I still came out with a profit by the end of the session.

Thanks for the feedback. I just feel like I'm a better player than a lot of the players i see at the .01/.02 table, and these downswings don't help in confirming that. Good news is I had KK cracked on the flop, AA cracked on the flop,and AA lose to QJ pre flop all in when he hit two pair runner runner and I still came out with a profit by the end of the session.

You may well be better than most players at the table & you do need confidence in this game but IMO to expediate success, being humble is a much better option. Less likely to suffer entitlement tilt & more likely to study harder. If you already feel you are better than the others, where is the incentive to learn.....

Look for a player at the next level up and strive to be as good as he is and so on.

Don't know about you guys, but I am fucking pumped for a weekend of grinding! Just one more night in work and I'm free for three days! Yuss. Sick of work and all the bollocks that goes with it, just wanna grind everyday and work on my game. Signed with Winner and ACR recently so tomorrow marks the first real ventures on those sites, should be a busy weekend with those on top of 888 schedule. LFG!!!!!

Are you 100% sure you have imported your database? You have to set that up on your poker client, make sure it's saving hand history locally, then sync it with HM2 and it should kick off straight away. Sometimes there's a little extra to do for certain cash games so support can assist there. In-game, you can move the huds around to match the players. It's somewhere in the small box at the top of your table, there's like a hm2 symbol with arrows left / right and name of selected HUD or something like that yes? It's in that somewhere.

Get it in. Some thoughts that aren't yet in this thread:

If you know he's going to reraise again over the top of you, consider a smaller preflop reraise to limit your exposure to a possible narraist/martiny236 reshove.

Even if you KNEW you were flipping, it's good to get it in here, due to future equity in the event that you lose. You'd rather have someone with $3+ at the table getting it all in every hand as opposed to someone with $1.63 getting it in every hand.

Hope that helps!