Digging8Graves

Small pairs early position with 9 to 15 BBs

Question

Hi guys just have a question about shoving ranges in early position. Say 33 44 55 66. A long time ago with mtt strategy ppl with 9 to 15 BBs were ripping their stack in from any position normally if they were first to act. first in viggorish as Dan Harrington explained to us in his book Harrington on holdm vol 2. my question is is how are you guess playing these small pairs from early position being first in the pot? I feel shoving 33 from UTG to be weak. So Im not 100% sure how to play from here or what the line is . Lets say u just got moved to a diff table and have no reads. Im looking for a generalization really. thx

3 answers to this question

I think a lot has to do with the stacks ur shoving into and your position in the remaining field.. where you'd be if u dbl and the likelihood of getting thru, if ur shoving into some deeper stacked opponents who are kind of handcuffed by other big stacks behind them that could wake up, makes shoving a bit better imo than if ur jamming 9-15bb into a bunch of other 9-15bb stacks willing to go w/ hands like 66 and AT its not as good imo.. on the flip side if ur ripping 15bb into a few 3-6bb stacks, and a few 30bb stacks, I like it a bit more, but at the end of the day still have to run good and avoid gettin coolered and losing the high equity flips

I think a lot has to do with the stacks ur shoving into and your position in the remaining field.. where you'd be if u dbl and the likelihood of getting thru, if ur shoving into some deeper stacked opponents who are kind of handcuffed by other big stacks behind them that could wake up, makes shoving a bit better imo than if ur jamming 9-15bb into a bunch of other 9-15bb stacks willing to go w/ hands like 66 and AT its not as good imo.. on the flip side if ur ripping 15bb into a few 3-6bb stacks, and a few 30bb stacks, I like it a bit more, but at the end of the day still have to run good and avoid gettin coolered and losing the high equity flips

Nice answer! Thanks.