advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  

Passive postflop line with AA

Question

FlopDeck    10

$200/$400 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 17 02 2019 20:48:35
Tournament #134675035 $10 - Table #13 9 Max (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: FlopDdeck ( $92,631 )
Seat 2: pactamah23 ( $44,230 )
Seat 3: wezo99 ( $44,260 )
Seat 4: N1NT3ND00 ( $60,782 )
Seat 5: boztastic ( $54,515 )
Seat 6: Davferca ( $52,549 )
Seat 7: algsxr ( $50,860 )
Seat 9: cristianpooo ( $49,370 )
Seat 10: BlackHamm3r ( $100,803 )
Davferca posts ante [$50]
algsxr posts ante [$50]
cristianpooo posts ante [$50]
wezo99 posts ante [$50]
BlackHamm3r posts ante [$50]
FlopDdeck posts ante [$50]
pactamah23 posts ante [$50]
N1NT3ND00 posts ante [$50]
boztastic posts ante [$50]
BlackHamm3r posts small blind [$200]
FlopDdeck posts big blind [$400]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to FlopDdeck [ Ac, Ah ]
pactamah23 raises [$880]
wezo99 folds
N1NT3ND00 folds
boztastic folds
Davferca folds
algsxr folds
cristianpooo calls [$880]
BlackHamm3r calls [$680]
FlopDdeck raises [$3,499]
pactamah23 calls [$3,019]
cristianpooo calls [$3,019]
BlackHamm3r calls [$3,019]
** Dealing flop ** [ 5d, 8s, Kd ]
BlackHamm3r checks
FlopDdeck checks
pactamah23 checks
cristianpooo bets [$4,000]
BlackHamm3r raises [$9,200]
FlopDdeck calls [$9,200]
pactamah23 calls [$9,200]
cristianpooo folds
** Dealing turn ** [ 7d ]
BlackHamm3r checks
FlopDdeck checks
pactamah23 bets [$12,000]
BlackHamm3r folds
FlopDdeck calls [$12,000]
** Dealing river ** [ 5s ]
FlopDdeck checks
pactamah23 bets [$19,081]
FlopDdeck calls [$19,081]
** Summary **
FlopDdeck shows [ Ac, Ah ]
pactamah23 shows [ Qd, Ad ]
pactamah23 collected [ $109,808 ]

Small 16h sample, VPIP: 38, PFR: 19, 3b: 17, AF: N/A

With such huge aggression, even over a short sample, I decided to go check-call mode and call down all the way no matter what runout. Cant remember specific examples but had seen villain make very splashy moves and be aggressive on turns and rivers with marginal holdings.

4 answers to this question

turbulence    12

1. Your 3bet OOP is too small with 3 other players in the pot, especially if they are fishy

2. I presume you checked the flop with the intention of C/raising? but just called the SB when he c/r'd?

3. The SB c/r on the flop is hardly ever top pair in this kind of spot i.e. multi-way 3bet pot, nearly always a set or big draw. 

4. Calling flop is fine, and turn, but by the river you're beating nothing 

FlopDeck    10

1 hour ago, negrealanu said:

Agree with @turbulence almost across the board

1 - Your squeeze has to be larger in this atypical situation. You are way too deep, which often creates a "chip drunk" dynamic where they keep calling. Perfect time to max exploit them. Your equity is so huge here heads-up, but drops dramatically as soon as you go 3 or 4 way. I get the not wanting to blow them out, but you really need to take this heads-up. Alternatively you could take a passive line by flatting pre and work in some check-raises on the flop or turn depending on the texture and run out. But not in between. My suggestion would be to make it like 6k to get it heads-up. I know it feels weird.

2 - Had that flop been A85ddx I would maaaaybe be on-board with the check-overcall, but given your opponents can have a lot of Kx and combo draws, and especially because you unblock the Ad, this must be a c/r at this point and we're playing for stacks. Flatting here has literally no upside and allows multiple opponents to realize the equity of their nut draw hands for free.

3 - Agree in this scenario villains on average have to play much more honestly and are likely to take lower variance lines with their medium-strong holdings as it tends to be a really good thing when there is limited betting frequency. That said, I would disagree that in this scenario multi-way I think a check raise could certainly be for definition from hands like KQs/o, KJs/o, KTs, the occasional AK.

4 - Similar to my thinking in my response to #3, I don't think we're beating "nothing". Villain can still have some Kx here, but it would be good to analyze how many combos he has. I wouldn't rule out that he just flicks the rest in with his Kx and the odds were getting are so great I think we need to sheriff here. I know it feels like compounding mistakes, but at this point it's really not. The biggest mistake was on the flop.

Don't mean to beat you up @FlopDeck. Interesting hand, thanks for posting!

Thanks for the detailed response, appreciated. Beat me up all you like, no worries! Quite obviously making huge errors and these responses will help to rectify that. Lesson learned, 3b much larger pre and build the pot instead of weak line. Sigh, long road back from the dead I tell ya.

FlopDeck    10

11 minutes ago, turbulence said:

1. Your 3bet OOP is too small with 3 other players in the pot, especially if they are fishy

2. I presume you checked the flop with the intention of C/raising? but just called the SB when he c/r'd?

3. The SB c/r on the flop is hardly ever top pair in this kind of spot i.e. multi-way 3bet pot, nearly always a set or big draw. 

4. Calling flop is fine, and turn, but by the river you're beating nothing 

Cheers pal. 

1. 5k - 6.5k more like it or should I have gone even bigger in your opinion? In hindsight I agree it was too small. In game didn't want to blow everyone out but that creates its own problems. Bad error by me. 

2. This is correct, yes. Didn't like SB c/r one bit but too strong to fold. 

3 - 4. Fair points. Made a right hash of this one, thanks for the response. Appreciated. 

negrealanu    10

Agree with @turbulence almost across the board

1 - Your squeeze has to be larger in this atypical situation. You are way too deep, which often creates a "chip drunk" dynamic where they keep calling. Perfect time to max exploit them. Your equity is so huge here heads-up, but drops dramatically as soon as you go 3 or 4 way. I get the not wanting to blow them out, but you really need to take this heads-up. Alternatively you could take a passive line by flatting pre and work in some check-raises on the flop or turn depending on the texture and run out. But not in between. My suggestion would be to make it like 6k to get it heads-up. I know it feels weird.

2 - Had that flop been A85ddx I would maaaaybe be on-board with the check-overcall, but given your opponents can have a lot of Kx and combo draws, and especially because you unblock the Ad, this must be a c/r at this point and we're playing for stacks. Flatting here has literally no upside and allows multiple opponents to realize the equity of their nut draw hands for free.

3 - Agree in this scenario villains on average have to play much more honestly and are likely to take lower variance lines with their medium-strong holdings as it tends to be a really good thing when there is limited betting frequency. That said, I would disagree that in this scenario multi-way I think a check raise could certainly be for definition from hands like KQs/o, KJs/o, KTs, the occasional AK.

4 - Similar to my thinking in my response to #3, I don't think we're beating "nothing". Villain can still have some Kx here, but it would be good to analyze how many combos he has. I wouldn't rule out that he just flicks the rest in with his Kx and the odds were getting are so great I think we need to sheriff here. I know it feels like compounding mistakes, but at this point it's really not. The biggest mistake was on the flop.

Don't mean to beat you up @FlopDeck. Interesting hand, thanks for posting!