advertisement_alt

FT Hand Help $1k Gtd $5 r/a

Question

ShootersJP    0

Unfortunately BetOnline does not have a way to export hand history so please bare with me...We have only had a couple of hands at the FT and I have no real information on the Villain as they were on the other table prior to merging.

8 of 9 remaining $400 1st - $52 8th

5,000/10,000   1,000 antes

Beginning of hand stack sizes:

77,432 - Small Blind

489,217 Hero

357,501 Villain

448,277 Button

Hero opens to 25,000. Villain raises to 77,000 Hero flat calls.

177,000 in the pot. Flop is Ac 2h 5h

Hero Checks. Villain bets 55,000 Hero flat calls

Turn 3d

Hero bets 143,500. Villain raises all in. Hero Calls

Villain has 10-4 suited diamonds

River 7c

I guess I should have check shoved the flop?

4 answers to this question

nivvydoh    11

Posted (edited)

These hands are always tough when an unknown villain ends up having a hand that you can never put in a sensible range. If you know he is a loon you obviously 4 bet shove pre-flop here.

However, early on an unknown final table with reasonable stack sizes, i want to be playing small pots against the other stacks that can cripple me. I would likely find a pre flop fold here against his raise size until I have seen more of his play. You risk making a huge ICM error willing to play for stacks here. After all, if he is 3 betting the top of his range here it is likely JJ+ and AK which crushes you. Adding in TT and AQs to his range still crushes you. . His raise size is kind of committing and you are 2nd in chips. With this good a stack early on a final table you have the advantage of playing tight and learning what you can about every one else. And laddering up and making more cash in the process.

If he had 3 bet smaller (min open raising yourself would help this), I would 4 bet small to test him but fold to a 5 bet. On final tables against stacks that can hurt me, i am rarely happy to be calling a large 3 bet out of position with a medium strength hand. There are just too many tough spots post flop when you have a decent amount of chips already invested, it can be harder to just fold and let them go. You set yourself up for a tough time and many final table heartbreaks playing this way.

I am guessing it wouldn't have taken long to realise he was a crazy loon, and then you play perfect against him.

Edited by nivvydoh