advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  

Should we always keep our emotions in check?

Question

7 answers to this question

turbulence    12

When you lose emotional control you are no longer making logical decisions. If you you let what happens on one table (if multi-tabling) effect you, it's going to impact on how you make decisions on your other tables. Making emotional decisions, or going on tilt, can be very costly and amplify any downturn you might have. Trust me I know! 

Bad beats are annoying, but at the end of the day they are part of the game, always have been and always will be, and they are what keep the fish fed and coming back. Variance is not linear or predictable, and will often come in batches i'e. a run of loses when your +80% favourite, then out of the blue it'll stabalise and head your way for a bit and poker seems easy and fun again lol.  

However, I have managed to tackle this and this year my results are much more consistent, because even when I'm having a bad session and things just aren't going my way, I still manage to scrape some results / cashes that previously I might not have. So although it might have been a losing session or week, it wasn't as losing. Plus, I'm able to take advantage if things turn around in even just one MTT starts going my way. In fact, some of my best results this year have come out of nowhere when I've been have a particularly bad session, but because I hadn't lost my shit I was able to capitalise on it.  

What has helped me:-

1. much more conservative BR management

2. Mindfulness meditation before a session (10-15mins usually), this has had a massive impact, really helps get rid of any pent up stress ect from everyday life not just poker, so you have a clear and relaxed head when you start playing. 

3. Not just chasing the 'big' wins, but playing a lot of smaller less significant mtt's as well. Getting to FT's more often is good for the confidence and experience, and keeps the BR topped up between bigger scores, which takes the pressure off. 

On 2/24/2019 at 6:44 PM, killingbird said:

yes. definitely don't want to be raging at people in the chat box for hours on end.

know what I mean?

I see a lot of players in chat bring up how bad someone plays or how bad their sharkscope is and it never made sense to me I get when some fish gives us a bad beat like chasing a gutshot for their stack and hitting but over all you want those people at the table berating them may chase them away and brings down your profits in the long run. 

broomo    10

On 4/30/2019 at 1:59 PM, FaceChicken said:

People that dont keep their emotions in check are essentially feeling entitled.  Bad luck happens, AA is not a 100% favorite against any hand......yes they are going to hit their 2 outer and its stings but there is nothing you can do, you are not entitled to any pot, regardless of how many chips you put in it or how bad someone plays....and hitting the card on the river vs the flop doesnt matter on an all in, the order of the cards doesn't matter.   What helped me was the study of making good decisions.  I dont judge a hand on what happens after the money goes in....its out of your control at that point.....its all about making good decisions.  Getting it in with AA and some "loser" calls you with A10o and beats you doesnt matter....the play was correct, you made a good decision, the rest is meaningless......playing poker is a LONG game, dont be discouraged by short term results.  Make good decisions and everything else works out in the long run

ALSO.....dont belittle players that you feel "made a stupid play" or "have no idea what they are doing"  thats where your money comes from......you want those players on your table.....it irks most people to play with a table of amateur players because they cant do "the fancy moves they learned like squeezing, check raising, isolating and the big fancy plays"  the "look at me i am good at poker" moves, the "i should be on ESPN highlights moves"  because a "bad" player sees 2 cards bigger than a 10 and doesnt care that you check raised your 45h to represent strength in position, because they dont think about your hand at all!

i learned that poker becomes alot easier once you "get over yourself" and stop "feeling entitled to pots".  Once you are decisions oriented, the tilt becomes a hell of alot less of a factor

Great post. I wish I was as level headed as you.

I've turned chat off and have found that really helpful, when it's available I'm so tempted to lose the plot with some of the clown plays. 

I'm really struggling with some of the stuff 888 has dished up these past few days, even though I'm not chatting,  the software itself still has me tilting and playing poorly.

Instead of ranting at players, I rant at 888 for a while, then tomorrow I'll calm down.

I have no idea how the players who play for real big cash can keep it together when the fish hits his 4.5% river. I get that you/we want the fishes to be playing and coming back but not when the clowns have knocked you out when you're sitting 4th position calling your aces 4 bet shove with 7 2 suited for 120 big blinds  4 or 5 times in a row. I don't care how cool you are, when you get knocked out by a shit play, you have difficulty balancing variance.

The cost in lost potential winnings is sometimes huge.  (comparatively speaking, for me a couple of hundred dollars plus is still a nice win) I go out in 28th and get 50 dollars, he busts my aces with garbage and finishes in 3rd for just under a grand. Not to mention lost points on sharkscope ratings which I've been grinding to get.

FaceChicken    2

People that dont keep their emotions in check are essentially feeling entitled.  Bad luck happens, AA is not a 100% favorite against any hand......yes they are going to hit their 2 outer and its stings but there is nothing you can do, you are not entitled to any pot, regardless of how many chips you put in it or how bad someone plays....and hitting the card on the river vs the flop doesnt matter on an all in, the order of the cards doesn't matter.   What helped me was the study of making good decisions.  I dont judge a hand on what happens after the money goes in....its out of your control at that point.....its all about making good decisions.  Getting it in with AA and some "loser" calls you with A10o and beats you doesnt matter....the play was correct, you made a good decision, the rest is meaningless......playing poker is a LONG game, dont be discouraged by short term results.  Make good decisions and everything else works out in the long run

ALSO.....dont belittle players that you feel "made a stupid play" or "have no idea what they are doing"  thats where your money comes from......you want those players on your table.....it irks most people to play with a table of amateur players because they cant do "the fancy moves they learned like squeezing, check raising, isolating and the big fancy plays"  the "look at me i am good at poker" moves, the "i should be on ESPN highlights moves"  because a "bad" player sees 2 cards bigger than a 10 and doesnt care that you check raised your 45h to represent strength in position, because they dont think about your hand at all!

i learned that poker becomes alot easier once you "get over yourself" and stop "feeling entitled to pots".  Once you are decisions oriented, the tilt becomes a hell of alot less of a factor

• Like 1

FaceChicken    2

Posted (edited)

Just last night i was playing a tournament and was on the next ladder bubble (13th paid $32.80 and 12th paid $40.09)

on the button with JJ and around 10 BB left...shoved, got called by SB (who had around 15 BB) with 88.  I got it in good, nothing else i can do there....i know the math is 80.56% that i win and 19.44% that i will lose....therefore 1 out of every 5 times i lose that hand....he had the 8s and 2 spades on the flop and one on the turn and one on the river...i had 2 red Jacks....i said the f word out loud and moved on....i got exactly what i wanted with the dominated call....once the money is in its out of your control...

another big thing i learned that helps is that Volume Cures Variance.  The more you play, the more the percentages balance out to where they should be

this is a good video to watch to put some perspective on stuff .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EYV6v33K64&t=77s

Edited by FaceChicken