advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  

How to fix my major leak

Question

Raider12    0

I'm a mostly every day mtt player mostly $20-$100 buy in  have had some success but it seems like I am consistently losing all my chips in situations like this when I'm quite far ahead on the flop. 

I have 23000 villian has 30000 stack

I have AJS blinds are 400-800 

I raise pre flop to 2200

Villian calls

Flop A Q 5 rainbow

I check villian bets 3000 into about 5

I jack it up to 11500 

Villian calls

Turn 10 still a rainbow 

I shove for about 12k villian snap calls and rolls over Q10

this situation and similar seems to play out countless times weather it be catching 2 pair on later streets or flushes or similar. I generally am able to build a decent stack early in mitts and generally find myself in the top 20%  until it is deeper into the tourney. I just know with the time I put into playing and studying and the drive I have to do well i could be doing alot better. Just looking for ideas to change my game. I currently play on betonline so have no way  to upload hand histories. 

3 answers to this question

carlmellor    10

Posted (edited)

Just some very very quick thoughts...

We're opening 2.5x, maybe mix in some 2x opens especially if we're gonna be oop for the hand.

We'll lose some value when we're ahead but we'll be keeping the pot smaller when we cbet our 'misses'.

Are we ranging our villain(s) correctly? TAG, LAG, Winning Reg, Unknown? Fish etc.

Villain(s) are still not bluffing anywhere near as much as you may think, so don't get paranoid.

It's o.k to fold if we think there's a good chance that we could be beat.

Ask yourself 'Could our 1p be no good here?' (Remember it's still only 1p)

**The above hand is bascially a cooler against a fish, but..............

I'd not be jamming 12K on the turn here after our villain had just flatted our massive flop XR

I'd now have to range him heavily towards 2p and sets (**alarm bells would be ringing out loudly**)....

The Ten on the turn shouldn't change anything with regards to that thought. (Even really bad fish don't 'normally' flat massive flop XR's with KJ/TJ gutter type of hands).

I'd be in X decide mode. (We've obviously added the gutter, but I'd have absolutely no problem XF'ing here to him).

(**Very occasionally could try betting turn small for 3K folding to any aggro, leaves us 11x which is still much better than dead, and we still draw to 4 possible nut outs if fish ever just calls our small turn bet (14 clean outs total).

What hands are we realistically beating ????????? (Even a very long shot AT just made 2p).

(Again, an absolute idiot got incredibly lucky, but you've got to way these situations up long term against the general population, and given the flop action here, we're gonna be crushed most of the time).

Cheers.

GL all the best.

Carl.

Edited by carlmellor

hushpuckena    1

Bit difficult to offer advice with some essentials missing from the HH, but here goes:

I will assume you opened from ep/mp.

This flop is much better for your range than for your opponent's, so I'm cbetting a high percentage of the time, though check-shove seems a stronger line, given the effective stacks. The drawback of the actual line is that you're priced in and your opponent is calling, even when he doesn't pick up two pair on the turn. 

I probably cbet the flop, then evaluate if called.