advertisement_alt
brainless

Got charged after I canceled a subscription. Thougts?

So, I signed-up for this tool, they offered a 7-day free trial and I added my card details. Basically I never used the thing after my first login (seeing it's useless), so after a while I logged in again to cancel my subscription. Everything was ok, I got an email with confirmation that my subscription has been canceled (this is on 20.09). 

Few days ago 03.10, I checked my transaction and I saw I got charged the annual fee by this guys. lol

This is the official answer to my request for refund:

Hi there

Thanks for your email.

I can see from our system that you took out a free trial of the fix software on 11st September and opted for the 'Annual' membership. We do make you aware at the point of purchase that you will be billed as a single payment covering the whole year, unless you cancel during your free trial and that this is non-refundable.  

We offer the free trial so that our members can get a feel for the product before their first subscription is taken.  At the end of the trial, if the membership is still active, we use an automated process, linked with the trial dates and times, to collect payment.

We know from timed logs that your trial was scheduled to end on 18th September so at that point we attempted to take payment, in fact we tried twice on the 18th but your card was declined.  You then cancelled your membership on 20th September - 2 days after the trial had ended.

We then tried several more times to collect payment - on 21st, 23rd and 25th September and finally we were successful on 30th September.

So you did not cancel within the 7 days so we are afraid we cannot refund in this instance."

I know they make the rules and so, but isn't it weird to keep trying to charge someone after the subscription has been canceled. 

For me it's obvious a service should stop any billing initiative after someone canceled the service, no matter what and when.

Any thoughts on this?
Edited by brainless

They are legally allowed to take that money because you cancelled after the trial period.  There is no legal recourse.  Just have to take it as a learning experience.  

The only other option is to write a negative review on their social media platforms and hope that they decide to refund your money in exchange for removing your review. 

For me is common sense, its obvious I never used their service and the error is technical. I don't see how this harms them in any way, I didn't get anything of it after all. Also the service is virtual, no actual product, shipping costs etc. It's so normal for me to get this sorted in favor of the consumer.

browsing between back to back meetings so no time to read responses, but have you tried PM'ing Donkwood yet? He used to have a Q&A thread on this type of stuff, but the mods made him take it down because he was driving too much traffic to the site and the pussy servers couldn't handle it. now we gotta shoot him a PM if we have a question. he will take time to get back, since his inbox gets bombarded, but just follow up every few hours.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Blake801 said:

They are legally allowed to take that money because you cancelled after the trial period.  There is no legal recourse.  Just have to take it as a learning experience.  

The only other option is to write a negative review on their social media platforms and hope that they decide to refund your money in exchange for removing your review. 

this

12 hours ago, Mr323 said:

Agreed ^  However, change title, you did not cancel subscription as the free trial agreement stated.

The title is correct. They charged me after I cancel the thing. Now I don't have a subscription (because I canceled it technically), yet I still got charged for a free trial? How this makes any sense 😄 I used tons of subscription services and never seen something so absurd.

Now waiting their answer to my second e-mail.

Edited by brainless

brainless = Best Buy also did to myself. 

My Main PC Tower had crashed - I needed it recovered to get all my Tax Documents and pictures most of all.  They auto signed me up into their plan for $200 a year.  Card was charged a year later - when I told them I dont want it.   They told me I was already paid up for the year -  So WTH.  

Come a Year later - they Charged my card.   I could not contact then in person because of Covid - So I called my Bank Card and they reversed the charges and gave me a new card #.   I just had to redo all of my autopay on checking.  

Situation dealt with - and accomplished.  

8 hours ago, brainless said:

The title is correct. They charged me after I cancel the thing. Now I don't have a subscription (because I canceled it technically), yet I still got charged for a free trial? How this makes any sense 😄 I used tons of subscription services and never seen something so absurd.

Now waiting their answer to my second e-mail.

as pro i try to reet manuesver. i try and right the day my car ins runs out or type shit like that

4 hours ago, DeltaDan said:

brainless = Best Buy also did to myself. 

My Main PC Tower had crashed - I needed it recovered to get all my Tax Documents and pictures most of all.  They auto signed me up into their plan for $200 a year.  Card was charged a year later - when I told them I dont want it.   They told me I was already paid up for the year -  So WTH.  

Come a Year later - they Charged my card.   I could not contact then in person because of Covid - So I called my Bank Card and they reversed the charges and gave me a new card #.   I just had to redo all of my autopay on checking.  

Situation dealt with - and accomplished.  

all my shit that happens is my fault