Jump to content
advertisement_alt
raisethis2

Melatonin

Recommended Posts

When I was in my thirties I felt like I had the weight of the world on my shoulders. I'd wring my hands over so many things I couldn't control and as a result, I slept poorly. At some point I understood that I couldn't do it all, as such I divested myself of that stress, especially after my heart attack at 42. From then on I slept much better but would find myself getting too geeked up especially trying to sleep prior to the coin auctions I'd frequently attend. 

 

To offset this,  I started taking Melatonin with my Doctor's blessing. Given that it's a natural substance, it's non addictive and helps by relaxing brain activity so your mind doesn't "race" when you're asleep. 

 

I've been taking it almost daily for the past 2 years or more however, different brands work differently. I currently use Finest Nutrition dissolvable cherry 10 mg tablets. I previously was using 2 10 mg Natures Made capsules which I think were time release and didn't work well at all.  The point being different brands work differently so you might need to try a few. 

 

I know many of you are currently as stressed as I was back in the day. Try this to see if it does you some good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I took melatonin gummies during a particularly stressful period a few years ago. I can’t remember what I read that made me stop, but there was a definite drawback that turned me off of them. 
 

However, when I did take them, I felt them working. I moved from them to CBD, but ultimately it was changes I made in life that made the most difference. I hated my job as much as one can, and the stress was having a huge negative impact. Finally I said fuck it and took a different position for less money. The changes in my life since then, and the 97% reduction of stress, is worth 3 times the paycut I took.

Edited by JKoblyn
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

one of my friends i hadn't seen in a bit moved back to RI a couple years ago and hit me up so i went over his house and had some drinks. had no clue he had been in and out of rehabs and wasn't supposed to be drinking until i told another friend he was back and we hung out. he couldn't sleep so he took an ambien and jesus christ those things are dangerous i had to walk behind him when he was walking up the stairs to go to bed otherwise he woulda fell backwards down the stairs and when he got in his room he just belly flopped onto his bed and was instantly in the deepest sleep i have ever seen before. damn those things are dangerous

Edited by URI_Stunna
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thread R2

 

I have had sleeping problems ever since I stopped drinking 

 

i have been sober 17 years

 

first 5 years I would get up every 1-3 hours with weird dreams or brain zaps. 
 

Started taken Benedryl For 10 years

 

This helped me sleep for 3-4 hours at first but I would Than get up every 1-2 hours after. 
 

So I than added melatonin to mix and now I’m sleeping 4-5 hours at first than 1-2 hours 

 

How much melatonin?

 

Im at 20mg mealatonin and 4 benedryl

 

i know that’s fucked up but my brain is crazy fucked up

 

ill get those electrical brain zaps sometimes Right when I’m falling asleep. 

The dreams I had the first five years were always crazy and vivid and Disturbingly fucked up.  I would have them damn near nightly.  To the point I hated sleeping. 
 

Ever since I added benedryl the disturbing dreams have decreased to maybe 1-2 times a week 

Edited by Preston_Luv
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JKoblyn said:

pluv you probably can't have THC but it's great for sleep. CBD too.


yeah.  Unfortunately it’s too much of a gateway drug for people like me. 
 

but maybe the non smoking type will be an option.  Not sure how bed benedryl and melatonin are for you taken nightly.  They say it’s safe but who really knows 
 

 

Edited by Preston_Luv
Link to post
Share on other sites

my first 2 thoughts when i first opened this thread

 

1. RT2 has cancer or knows someone who does which is gonna suck

 

2. i thought melatonin was something that had to do with determining skin color

 

lol. i guess i was way off. i get em wrong every once in a while

Edited by URI_Stunna
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, killingbird said:

Lol.  


I know all about the increased cancer risk.  But damn near everything you put in your body increases the risk of cancer so whatever. 
 

I take about 125mg a day. 
 

The cognitive and dementia thing isnt worry. My plan was to slowly switch to melatonin

 

but even if I don’t a few years off my life is worth the trade off of not being able to sleep as that would wipe off many more years

 

 

Edited by Preston_Luv
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had trouble sleeping and found that regulating my dietary intake with trigger foods greatly improved my diet.  Unfortunately I have celiac and don't produce much stomach acid so I have had to cut out a lot of food from my diet: gluten, diary, alcohol, chocolate, spicy food, tomatoes, onions and garlic are the main ones.  Once I removed these foods, along with supplementation like digestive enzymes and HCL stomach acid, my body had a lot less inflammation and stress and now I can sleep much better.  A lot of a human's health is dependent on the digestive system and I suggest any of you guys having trouble sleeping explore if you have food sensitives or allergies.

 

I also bought a sleeping mask which I find relaxing and it totally blocks out light.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Leet8s said:

I had trouble sleeping and found that regulating my dietary intake with trigger foods greatly improved my diet.  Unfortunately I have celiac and don't produce much stomach acid so I have had to cut out a lot of food from my diet: gluten, diary, alcohol, chocolate, spicy food, tomatoes, onions and garlic are the main ones.  Once I removed these foods, along with supplementation like digestive enzymes and HCL stomach acid, my body had a lot less inflammation and stress and now I can sleep much better.  A lot of a human's health is dependent on the digestive system and I suggest any of you guys having trouble sleeping explore if you have food sensitives or allergies.

 

I also bought a sleeping mask which I find relaxing and it totally blocks out light.


i hear you on the regularity and diet. My schedule is messed up. I go to bed at different times every night 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Preston_Luv said:


i hear you on the regularity and diet. My schedule is messed up. I go to bed at different times every night 

I used to take Benadryl, then found some inexpensive diphenhydramine softgels on Amazon from a brand called Maker's Mark. I take one per night with 5 mg of melatonin. There are occasional nights when I still won't sleep at all but it has me lying there relaxed enough to feel rested the next day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, timthegem said:

I used to take Benadryl, then found some inexpensive diphenhydramine softgels on Amazon from a brand called Maker's Mark. I take one per night with 5 mg of melatonin. There are occasional nights when I still won't sleep at all but it has me lying there relaxed enough to feel rested the next day.


I need to get on a normal schedule it help

 

i imagine if I went to bed at a similar time most nights than my body would adjust and I could lower dosage. 
 

Im on 4 benedryl and 20 mg night now. 
 

Hoping to get down to 2 benedryl and 10mg. But I need to change my schedule to see any results. 
 

Who knows. Maybe I’m just permanently fucked. 
 

Sleeping issues are common for addicts and alcoholics who get sober 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, killingbird said:

This.  I’m so many ways, has become the greatest thing ever. 


Hearing I have sleeping issues and use too much benedryl is the greatest thing ever? 
 

I didn’t know I was that relevant to you 

 

your life must fucking suck 

Edited by Preston_Luv
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Preston_Luv said:


I know all about the increased cancer risk.  But damn near everything you put in your body increases the risk of cancer so whatever. 
 

I take about 125mg a day. 
 

The cognitive and dementia thing isnt worry. My plan was to slowly switch to melatonin

 

but even if I don’t a few years off my life is worth the trade off of not being able to sleep as that would wipe off many more years

 

 

 

some of the dreams i have are insane. it's like i just flap my arms and i'm flying no problem over water or w/e and i can see sharks at the water surface and its like i'm flying over this amazing clear ocean covered river and can see everything from great white sharks to sea turtles.

 

also no clue why i had dreams where there are just huge grizzly bears (not human) and i see em every hwere i'm walking around in a wooded area and open field and they get in my shithole cabin and i'm somehow movin around enough to escape

 

shit. i never die in them either. i don't know how to explain the feeling to anyone really who would believe other than saying if the cops showed up this morning and told me i was flying around last night in a no fly zone i think i would actually fucking believe them

 

 

lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, timthegem said:

I used to take Benadryl, then found some inexpensive diphenhydramine softgels on Amazon from a brand called Maker's Mark.

 

Sorry, everyone. The brand name is actually "Member's Mark". Maker's Mark is the name of the whiskey that I take them with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait. So some of you take Benadryl every night like it’s a vitamin? Is that not really bad for you? Idk. Seems like Benadryl becoming a normal part of your nightly routine can’t be good. 
 

That’s shit in it that makes you sleep. Di something. That stuff has to be addictive too. It’s not like Benadryl is aspirin. You feel it. So there has to be some level of feeling out of your normal state. 
 

Maybe smoke weed? Idk. Sounds pretty crazy to be taking Benadryl every night. There’s just no way that cant be terrible for you. 

Edited by XXEDPXX
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can count the number of dreams I was able to recall over the last 20 years on 2 fingers. I've rarely been able to remember them. 

 

Also, as I said I was surprised that different brands of melatonin work differently on me. That may be an adjustment you need to make also. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Preston_Luv said:


I need to get on a normal schedule it help

 

i imagine if I went to bed at a similar time most nights than my body would adjust and I could lower dosage. 
 

Im on 4 benedryl and 20 mg night now. 
 

Hoping to get down to 2 benedryl and 10mg. But I need to change my schedule to see any results. 
 

Who knows. Maybe I’m just permanently fucked. 
 

Sleeping issues are common for addicts and alcoholics who get sober 

 

Thats a lot of Benny yo. I guess its better than ambien or something.

 

I go through periods of taking them. I didn't take one last night because of this thread for the first time in like a month and half. Good to know Im not totally dependent on them for sleep. 

 

4 hours ago, raisethis2 said:

I can count the number of dreams I was able to recall over the last 20 years on 2 fingers. I've rarely been able to remember them. 

 

Also, as I said I was surprised that different brands of melatonin work differently on me. That may be an adjustment you need to make also. 

 

Nice. Do you just not really have dreams or you have them but dont remember at all? i start dreaming before Im even all the way asleep it sucks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.