advertisement_alt
wantagolf

2021 Movie Discussion

I also watched it last night. 

I actually thought it was really, really dumb and was a bit disappointed because foolish me I thought we might actually try to make a decent movie out of the idea this time instead of continuing to rely on mindlessly calling back to the video game.  "Omg guys, look, he did it, just like in the game!"  And then again.  And again.  Like, we already did this in the 90's, are we really still not past all this "Finish him."  "Flawless.  Victory." retarded dialogue shit?  And speaking of retarded dialogue shit, see every other line that was said by every character throughout the entire movie.   Both the exposition/dialogue and storytelling really are just garbage, I noticed it from minutes in and it never got better.  The only thing I sort of liked was how they turned Jax into Jax.  Although of course the whole "my inner magic power is cooler cybernetic robot arms" and such is just kind of dumb.

I mean it's whatever, it's just Mortal Kombat, so I'm over it.  But since you mentioned it, yeah, I expected and for damn sure had hoped for better.

Also I feel asleep with 30 minutes left so Imaboutsta watch the rest now.  For some stupid reason.

Edited by Swerve
1 hour ago, Swerve said:

I also watched it last night. 

I actually thought it was really, really dumb and was a bit disappointed because foolish me I thought we might actually try to make a decent movie out of the idea this time instead of continuing to rely on mindlessly calling back to the video game.  "Omg guys, look, he did it, just like in the game!"  And then again.  And again.  Like, we already did this in the 90's, are we really still not past all this "Finish him."  "Flawless.  Victory." retarded dialogue shit?  And speaking of retarded dialogue shit, see every other line that was said by every character throughout the entire movie.   Both the exposition/dialogue and storytelling really are just garbage, I noticed it from minutes in and it never got better.  The only thing I sort of liked was how they turned Jax into Jax.  Although of course the whole "my inner magic power is cooler cybernetic robot arms" and such is just kind of dumb.

I mean it's whatever, it's just Mortal Kombat, so I'm over it.  But since you mentioned it, yeah, I expected and for damn sure had hoped for better.

Also I feel asleep with 30 minutes left so Imaboutsta watch the rest now.  For some stupid reason.

I saw this movie based on a dumb fighting game and I am really disappointed it was based on the game. 

• Like 1

Meh.  Things can be "based" on stupid things and yet the people involved can still manage to find a fresh approach and show some creative talent.  If they posses such a thing.  Which these people clearly do not.

You know how sometimes you see some story that boasts it's "based on true events", but you can't help but roll your eyes at how much absurd freedom they took with the narrative, and how loose that truthful basis actually is?  I was just hoping they'd do that with this one.  They COULD have done that with this one.  Instead we have a faithful mess of a remake of a corny ass movie from 25 years ago that has none of charm of the original, but which has the nerve to take itself way more seriously.    And Sonia wasn't even that hot.

SHE WASN'T EVEN THAT HOT, BOB

• Haha 1

What a weird decision to put Best Actress and Best Actor to close the show. I thought for sure that Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman would win those awards simply based on where those awards were presented on the show.

But then they went to the two old white people, and Hopkins wasn't anywhere to be found lol. Bizarre.

Edited by marinersheep
Just now, Johnny Slippy said:

He's not American. Global Pandemic and whatnot.

....or maybe he just isn't into train station award shows. He's a Knight ffs.

Gary Oldman was in London.

I don't think he gives a fuck about it, and good for him. Just incredible that the show ends like that. 

26 minutes ago, marinersheep said:

Gary Oldman was in London.

I don't think he gives a fuck about it, and good for him. Just incredible that the show ends like that. 

He absolutely gives zero fucks about awards and has been pretty public about it. I was expecting Joaquin to go completely unhinged there

Soul was worth watching and I didn't mind Promising Young Woman. Tenet was also worth watching just for the action sequences. I didn't care for Trial of the Chicago 7 but I did like Borat's acting in it. That's all of the nominated movies that I can think of that I saw.

11 hours ago, TheSilentBob said:

Soul was worth watching and I didn't mind Promising Young Woman. Tenet was also worth watching just for the action sequences. I didn't care for Trial of the Chicago 7 but I did like Borat's acting in it. That's all of the nominated movies that I can think of that I saw.

Tenet was only movie i saw in a theater in 2020 so I guess it’s my best movie.

Nobody.  Was also a little disappointing.  I think because there do in fact exist some clever, well-done action movies, I've started to let my expectations get too high for big-name ones like this.   A few things stood out in my mind as "inferior choices":

- They should've leaned more into the name of the picture.  Kept him as a "nobody".  As soon as they started revealing who he was, what he "used to do", it deflated things a bit.  At one point he even started expositioning to a dying guy for no reason (except the reason of course is that he was talking to us, the audience) about ..."I used to be an auditor, that means the guy who...".  I think this flick and the character itself would've been so much cooler if they kept all that shit vague and implied, and never actually told us anything about him.  Kind of ruined the vibe - that the title/cover art set up for me - to remove that mystique.

- In that same vein I thought the intro/outro dialogue was super corny.  "Who the fuck are you?" Asks the policemen.  "Who am I?", the man says, taking a long drag of a cigarette.  "Oh I'm nobody."  It would've been so much more effective of a moment if he didn't say anything.  Just mugged em and blew some smoke rings or something, let the glint in his eye (and the fucking title of the movie, for chrissakes) say it all.  No need to actually say it out loud.  Made it so much lamer to basically close out the story with that weak shit, left it on a sour note.

- Odenkirk did alright but Rza's fight choreography was a bit too stiff and rhythmic to not feel practiced.  John Wick these guys are not.  Also, the moment he said over the radio "...I'm not coming out of hiding to save your white ass..." it was super obvious he would do exactly that.  Just another example of corny expositional dialogue that did nothing except give away the future and shove unneeded details in your face that would've been better served more subtly.  There were a handful of moments like this.

- The fucking music was horrible.  I may be more sensitive to this because I just rewatched "Face off" with Cage and Travolta - you remember that scene in FO where the little kid is wearing his headphones, and all he/we can hear is "Over the Rainbow?"  And all the bullets flying and over-the-top-violence is slo-motion and juxtaposed over this gentle ballad, as the kid obliviously meanders through the midst of it all?  Actually fuck, I can just link it:

So you notice in ^^that scene that it's a nine-minute long scene, and the "Over the Rainbow" part actually only takes up a minute or two.  And the music is introduced diegetically so it makes sense for us to hear it.  All in all it was very well done, imo.   But in Nobody they try to pull this same thing, but there's no kid and not only is it just so much lamer and more contrived, but also they do it in like EVERY FUCKING FIGHT SCENE.  "It's a Wonderful World" and 3-4 other similar ballads being overlaid over like every gun fight which is course shown in slo-motion because that's super totes artistic!  That shit was already played out the first time they did it but then they did it like three more fucking times, like they thought it was reeeallly clever or something.  Really REALLY would've made the action scenes better imo if they dropped that shit entirely and just had some badass music during the badass fight scenes.    They tried way too hard to be cool and it just had the opposite effect.  Made every fight scene lamer than they otherwise would've been.

So yeah, pretty disappointing just because I had pretty high hopes for this one.  Started off okay but all in all just a poor man's John Wick, way too predictable and run-of-the-mill and Odenkirk didn't really bring anything special to save it.  6.1 ± 0.3 bagginses out of 10

Edited by Swerve

The whole notion of the awards is ludicrous. How does any film, actor, song etc. get to be labeled ‘best’? It’s all subjective. And if you don’t think Academy members vote for the films they worked on, the studios they prefer to work with or if they stand to gain monetarily if a certain film wins then I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

watched "Nobody" in theaters this past weekend. Had 0 knowledge of the movie going in. Hadn't even heard of it. Was fucking awesome.

Could be due to it being the first movie i see in theaters since COVID but damn i was entertained.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2021 at 10:18 PM, marinersheep said:

What a weird decision to put Best Actress and Best Actor to close the show. I thought for sure that Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman would win those awards simply based on where those awards were presented on the show.

But then they went to the two old white people, and Hopkins wasn't anywhere to be found lol. Bizarre.

Go kill yourself if u think Hopkins didn't deserve the award.  His performance was monumentally better.  

Edited by Mrfreeze53