advertisement_alt
wantagolf

2021 Movie Discussion

1 hour ago, skeeze666 said:

I just like going to the theater to watch some movies. Obviously being home is best for the majority of the experience, but damn this year has sucked for not just heading out for a double feature on a rainy day smuggling in sour patch kids and shit. 

Agree. I've missed AMC A*list. It was a great way to get it of the house during the week.

I miss the place we have near us. it serves a full menu, lots of choices for the kids, cool décor, each room has it's own theme. we've been going every christmas day since we moved here. this year, we tried to replicate it for the kids. I already had a projector and screen set up in the basement, but I lined the walls with 8x10's of favorite movie scenes, the wife printed out their menu, we bought a case of theater popcorn buckets, etc. every movie at that theater plays the same Dan Aykroyd video before the previews, so we had that cued up first.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JKoblyn said:

I miss the place we have near us. it serves a full menu, lots of choices for the kids, cool décor, each room has it's own theme. we've been going every christmas day since we moved here. this year, we tried to replicate it for the kids. I already had a projector and screen set up in the basement, but I lined the walls with 8x10's of favorite movie scenes, the wife printed out their menu, we bought a case of theater popcorn buckets, etc. every movie at that theater plays the same Dan Aykroyd video before the previews, so we had that cued up first.

Ni**a you gay

So glad you guys kept mentioning memento. I’m watching it again right now, sfgood.

I stopped because I’m watching the beginning and I just noticed it’s “Sammy Jenkis”. I always thought it was Jenkins.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:53 PM, acp said:

Will watch 1/29.

Watched it on Saturday and was pretty unimpressed. The girl dug it but it didn't move the needle for me. It's pretty slow moving, lots of driving scenes, and the push to the end felt contrived. Denzel was fine and a couple Wire actors popped up but Malek felt miscast and Felicity Jones' part was too small to matter. I'll be generous and give it a B-.

14 minutes ago, TheSilentBob said:

Watched it on Saturday and was pretty unimpressed. The girl dug it but it didn't move the needle for me. It's pretty slow moving, lots of driving scenes, and the push to the end felt contrived. Denzel was fine and a couple Wire actors popped up but Malek felt miscast and Felicity Jones' part was too small to matter. I'll be generous and give it a B-.

Yah I was not impressed overall. It had this feeling of so many movies before it chopped into one, so at the very minimum it lacked originality. 

That rating is fair. I would say 3.5/5 because I still enjoyed it, but I would be pissed if I paid to see it in a theatre.

Edited by acp

Watched News of the World with Tom Hanks. Takes place around 1870 and is his first of this genre. Director Greengrass known from shaky cam movies such as Bourne, etc, changed his style dramatically for this one. 

My quick hit thoughts: It grew on me as it went on and I think I will remember it as a movie I liked many years from now. I won’t recommend to many people because it is a slow build and the first 20 minutes feel a little  tough to get through, but Hanks and Greengrass do something here that just feels good and you get a solid mix of Hanks acting a part with humanity and realness in an unfamiliar setting for him. This is not on the level of Hostiles or a performance of Bale, which I absolutely love, but it isn’t trying to be that. 

Watched Promising Young Woman. It’s getting a ton of positive reviews and award noms etc. I’m not gonna go that far. It was a good watch and I like Mulligan a lot, but the story lacked quite a bit. It’s a good revenge flick basically and worth seeing. 

Damn I was literally just about to fire up The Little Things.  I assumed with those actors and the marketing it had to at least be decent.  Thank goodness for IMDB. It has 23k votes and a 6.3 which = a pile of dogshit.  Thanks imdb for saving another 2 hours of my life.

Think I'm gonna fire up promising young woman instead.

1 hour ago, Charles Vane said:

Damn I was literally just about to fire up The Little Things.  I assumed with those actors and the marketing it had to at least be decent.  Thank goodness for IMDB. It has 23k votes and a 6.3 which = a pile of dogshit.  Thanks imdb for saving another 2 hours of my life.

Think I'm gonna fire up promising young woman instead.

When is Coming To America 2 on Amazon Prime supposed to get released?  I wanna see that for sure

16 minutes ago, JB said:

Ugh, the premise makes no sense. 

Isnt the plot that Eddie Murphy's character has some illegitimate kid in NYC and thats when hes going back? 

Like when the fuck was he whoring around in the first movie?

Woulda made more sense if the Arsenio character nutted raw in some cashier at Associated or something

On 2/5/2021 at 8:28 PM, skeeze666 said:

Watched Promising Young Woman. It’s getting a ton of positive reviews and award noms etc. I’m not gonna go that far. It was a good watch and I like Mulligan a lot, but the story lacked quite a bit. It’s a good revenge flick basically and worth seeing. 

Spoilers 

Mostly agree with this.  The movie gets cringey and over the top real quick.  The final 20 minutes is just silly.

Carey Mulligan is an awesome actress tho and bo was surprisingly good.

The premise is just a little too pandering/tryhard/metooish.  The movie basically takes the stance that any time drunk ppl hook up its so horrible and the guy just raped the girl.  Like....please.  Maybe this movie wasn't really for adults idk.  Obviously every guy in the movie is a horrible cunt, they all work together,  the system is designed to screw women over, etc.  It's just a bit over the top.  

• Like 1