advertisement_alt
wantagolf

2021 Movie Discussion

55 minutes ago, Charles Vane said:

typical woke culture trying to give all the credit to the woman

Lol yeah. A woman going completely mental and all the mystical things in The Shining are just her imagination is very woke

Edited by hookey91
9 hours ago, hookey91 said:

I'm not the biggest fan of The Shining, but I do love films that allow for in depth analysis to fully understand. There's a new theory that came out recently that makes it highly probable that it was Wendy having a psychological episode and not her husband. This theory seems airtight and is blowing the minds of Shining fans. If true, I would say this is the best directed film of all time

The video has an annoying robotic voice but you get used to it 

Holy shit I'm blown away. Thanks for posting 

4 minutes ago, skeeze666 said:

I'm not saying it doesn't work from the perspective of the video maker... I'm saying it just feels like all conspiracy theories - there's always enough there to make a case but it's all such a stretch.  The book never makes any sort of claim like this and there's never been any claim that I know of that it was shot from her perspective.  I'm not saying it isn't interesting... I'm saying it's a fan theory and that's fine, but I don't personally believe it has merit. 

buzzkill666

• Haha 1

I agree with Skeeze. Conspiracy theories are fun and all but I can’t imagine this theory to be true. You would have to be one sick sob to make a film with this kind of twist and never come out with it.  

I wonder if this same conspiracy theorist has a video about The Sixth Sense. Bruce Willis is actually alive and it’s the kid who is dead. 😉

• Haha 1

Kubrick 

33 minutes ago, JKR said:

I agree with Skeeze. Conspiracy theories are fun and all but I can’t imagine this theory to be true. You would have to be one sick sob to make a film with this kind of twist and never come out with it.  

I wonder if this same conspiracy theorist has a video about The Sixth Sense. Bruce Willis is actually alive and it’s the kid who is dead. 😉

Kubrick was a bizarre person. Before he died, The Shining was already one of the most critiqued films. I don't think he would want to end the debate surrounding the movie by giving any type of conclusive answer. 

Outside of the obvious intentional set changes, the two biggest reasons I believe this to be true are the fade to Shelley Duvall from room 237 to the boiler room and it finally answers the question of how Jack ever got out of the storage freezer. There is no way in hell Kubrick just blatantly passes over that massive plot hole.

Also, Kubrick and Stephen King didn't have much respect for one another. They apparently had a pretty bitter phone call prior to filming, with Kubrick even saying "he didn't believe in ghosts". Outside of major events of the novel, the characters are not very similar at all. Kubrick was not adapting the book, only using it to set the stage 

Edited by hookey91
  • Thanks 1

One last thing to add to the Shining Theory that wasn't part of the video. When Jack Torrence was locked in the storage freezer he is sleeping on massive bags of salt. 1417262125_hollysalt(1).png.ac9d8b28512aff92be8ca5270e0444b6.pngQYsJOWdv_400x400.jpg.94255b763bcb78ec627e36a33251e6c6.jpg

Ironically, the film set used salt to create the illusion of snow throughout the whole movie. This all but confirms to me that Jack was outside, unconscious, and freezing to death in the snow, while Wendy is hallucinating this scene

The Shining never really terrified me the way it did others. Shelley Duvall's character was always the most unnerving part of this movie for me. Looking at the film in this way makes it way more haunting and it blows my mind. 

Edited by hookey91
On 3/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, acp said:

Kid90 on Hulu was way better than I expected. Definitely worth watching.

Caught a trailer of this over the weekend.  Looks like a good walk down nostalgia lane for me.  The majority of the actors are about the same age as me and I watched a decent amount of the shows they were in.

Easy ones are Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Back to the Future, Brewster's Millions for 3 of the brackets although First Blood fucking rocks too.  Real tough call for me between Commando and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.  Probably slight lean to Mad Max although I've seen Commando at least 5x the amount of times.

56 minutes ago, skeeze666 said:

Haven't seen 6 of these...

Went through a few times in my head and keep coming up with:

Back to The Future vs. Goonies

Brewster's Millions vs. Fletch/Better off Dead

My gut tells me that I'd go Back to the Future over Fletch, but I think my finals would change every so often if I looked through these and watched them all over a few days...

Also- this makes me want to run another movie bracket thread... just so difficult to do one where enough people have seen them and want to participate... Will give it some thought.

Do it but for a year that actually has some good movies to debate over.

Watched "The Little Things" against my better judgement last night.  6.3 on IMDB means pointless dogshit 95% of the time.

I dunno tho, I don't regret watching it.  It was entertaining long enough for me.  Ultimately it's just not that good at what it's trying to do but it gets close enough for me.  It's somewhere between a 6.5 and 7 imo.  I like ambiguous shit that leaves you debating the ending of a movie, even if you're debating over how steaming the shitpile was.

On 3/25/2021 at 2:04 PM, skeeze666 said:

Haven't seen 6 of these...

Went through a few times in my head and keep coming up with:

Back to The Future vs. Goonies

Brewster's Millions vs. Fletch/Better off Dead

My gut tells me that I'd go Back to the Future over Fletch, but I think my finals would change every so often if I looked through these and watched them all over a few days...

Also- this makes me want to run another movie bracket thread... just so difficult to do one where enough people have seen them and want to participate... Will give it some thought.

You can pick four different years and battle it out tourney style, 16 films from each year