advertisement_alt
wantagolf

2021 Movie Discussion

Easy ones are Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Back to the Future, Brewster's Millions for 3 of the brackets although First Blood fucking rocks too.  Real tough call for me between Commando and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.  Probably slight lean to Mad Max although I've seen Commando at least 5x the amount of times.

On 3/24/2021 at 8:57 AM, wantagolf said:

Not that i'm trying to actually do the bracket, but if all these movies were released in 1985, what a freaking year for movies.

ExL3n--UcAgYtl9?format=png&name=medium

Haven't seen 6 of these...

Went through a few times in my head and keep coming up with:

Back to The Future vs. Goonies

Brewster's Millions vs. Fletch/Better off Dead

My gut tells me that I'd go Back to the Future over Fletch, but I think my finals would change every so often if I looked through these and watched them all over a few days...

Also- this makes me want to run another movie bracket thread... just so difficult to do one where enough people have seen them and want to participate... Will give it some thought.

Edited by skeeze666
  • Like 2
56 minutes ago, skeeze666 said:

My gut tells me that I'd go Back to the Future over Fletch, but I think my finals would change every so often if I looked through these and watched them all over a few days...

Also- this makes me want to run another movie bracket thread... just so difficult to do one where enough people have seen them and want to participate... Will give it some thought.

Do it but for a year that actually has some good movies to debate over.

Watched "The Little Things" against my better judgement last night.  6.3 on IMDB means pointless dogshit 95% of the time.

I dunno tho, I don't regret watching it.  It was entertaining long enough for me.  Ultimately it's just not that good at what it's trying to do but it gets close enough for me.  It's somewhere between a 6.5 and 7 imo.  I like ambiguous shit that leaves you debating the ending of a movie, even if you're debating over how steaming the shitpile was.

On 3/25/2021 at 2:04 PM, skeeze666 said:

You can pick four different years and battle it out tourney style, 16 films from each year

Shawshank is a great movie. The ending is a feel good doozy. But I don't think it's even top 30 ever. Nothing in it really captures the imagination like so many other films do

Rolling Stone had this to say about the 90s:

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-lists/the-100-greatest-movies-of-the-nineties-195513/ 

1. Goodfellas

2. Hoop Dreams

3. Safe

4. Silence of the Lambs

5. Pulp Fiction

6. Close Up

7. Slacker

8. Malcom X

9. Chungking Express

10. The Piano

IndieWire said this https://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/best-films-movies-90s-1201852966/:

1. Goodfellas

2. Close Up

3. Pulp Fiction

4. Groundhog Day

5. Chungking Express

6. Hoop Dreams

7. Dazed and Confused

8. Beau Travail

9. Being John Malkovich

10. Heat

Ranker

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/favorite-movies-of-the-90s 

1. Shawshank Redemption

2. Forrest Gump

3. Jurassic Park

4. Terminator 2

5. Braveheart

6. The Lion King

7. Saving Private Ryan

8. Goodfellas

9. Toy Story

10. Silence of the Lambs

Screenrant IMDB

https://screenrant.com/top-movies-90s-according-imdb/

1. Schindler's List

2. American Beauty

3. Shawshank Redemption

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Braveheart

6. Silence of the Lambs

7. Goodfellas

8. Unforgiven

9. Forrest Gump

10. Saving Private Ryan

Mentalfloss 

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/586669/1990s-best-movies

1. Goodfellas

2. To Sleep with Anger

3. Silence of the Lambs

4. Bozy N The Hood

5. Beauty and the Beast

6. Unforgiven

7. Raise the Red Lantern

8. Schindler's List

9. Pulp Fiction

10. Before Sunrise

Ebert's 10 best:

1. "Hoop Dreams"

2. "Pulp Fiction"

3. "GoodFellas"

4. "Fargo"

5. "Three Colors Trilogy": "Blue," "White," and "Red"

6. "Schindler's List"

7. "Breaking the Waves"

8. "Leaving Las Vegas"

9. "Malcolm X"

10. "JFK"

Scorsese's 10 best:

1. "Horse Thief"

2. "The Thin Red Line"

3. "A Borrowed Life"

4. "Eyes Wide Shut"

5. "Bad Lieutenant"

6. "Breaking the Waves"

7. "Bottle Rocket"

8. "Crash"

9. "Fargo"

10. "Malcolm X" and "Heat" (tie)

Edited by skeeze666

Hoop Dreams is easily in my top 10 of the 90s and probably top 25 all time for me.  I have no idea how it plays to someone who wasn't a basketball player, and the fact that it came out when I was right around the peak of my high school playing days certainly plays heavily into it.

I need to Chungking Express, apparently... Also, Heat is definitely a top favorite of mine.

40 minutes ago, TheSilentBob said:

I am crowning Pulp Fiction in any 90's bracket.

Pulp Fiction is still very much apart pop culture today. No one gives a flying fuck ab Shawshank

10 hours ago, skeeze666 said:

Hoop Dreams is easily in my top 10 of the 90s and probably top 25 all time for me.  I have no idea how it plays to someone who wasn't a basketball player, and the fact that it came out when I was right around the peak of my high school playing days certainly plays heavily into it.

I need to Chungking Express, apparently... Also, Heat is definitely a top favorite of mine.

Hoop Dreams is def great!

Criterion just released a Wong Kar Wai boxset that looks pretty gorgeous

Pulp Fiction is the most entertaining movie ever made. It will never leave my top 5. Silence of the Lambs is the most perfectly made movie of all time. Completely flawless in every way. Shawshank might have the most satisfying ending ever. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DONKWOOD said:

I've never heard of Chungking express either. I'll have to put that on the list.

Chungking Express is a ghetto Chinese Restaurant up the street. Pretty sure their General Tso's chicken is 90% batter. 

Meh on Godzilla. I saw it on HBO Max tho. It probably be a good time in theaters. Fight scenes were pretty dope but everything involving humans was painfully bad. The black comic relief character was doing his best Anthony Anderson impersonation 

• Like 1