advertisement_alt
wantagolf

2021 Movie Discussion

I hate to overuse ‘lol’ but if someone watched The Midnight Sky and didn’t understand it, well, I don’t hold much hope for them in the realm of movie watching. The ‘twist’ wasn’t really difficult to see coming, and even then it wasn’t much of one, since the movie was trying to deal with different themes overall and just used that part as a plot device which didn’t matter in terms of a ‘gotchya moment’ or anything, and didn’t do it all that well in my opinion. The movie was a little slow in parts and a little unexplained in parts, but I actually enjoyed it overall and would say a 3.5/5 is about right if it needs a grade. 

Tenet was lol to me in all the wrong ways. I will MAYBE give it another chance in the future and hope I see something I didn’t on the first watch, because when I saw it back in September I thought it was one of Nolan’s weakest films. 

22 minutes ago, skeeze666 said:

I hate to overuse ‘lol’ but if someone watched The Midnight Sky and didn’t understand it, well, I don’t hold much hope for them in the realm of movie watching. The ‘twist’ wasn’t really difficult to see coming, and even then it wasn’t much of one, since the movie was trying to deal with different themes overall and just used that part as a plot device which didn’t matter in terms of a ‘gotchya moment’ or anything, and didn’t do it all that well in my opinion. The movie was a little slow in parts and a little unexplained in parts, but I actually enjoyed it overall and would say a 3.5/5 is about right if it needs a grade. 

Tenet was lol to me in all the wrong ways. I will MAYBE give it another chance in the future and hope I see something I didn’t on the first watch, because when I saw it back in September I thought it was one of Nolan’s weakest films. 

George Clooney is a very mediocre director. 

+1 on Tenet. Very disappointing

Edited by hookey91
  • Like 1

I think I got like 20 minutes into Tenet.  There was some stupid and poorly-acted expositional dialogue that was really off-putting from the start - then as as soon as they introduced the (beyond scientifically absurd) "loltime" aspect I was like "Ill bet it's going to turn out that the main guy is the one who..."  and suddenly I just didn't care anymore.

It was okay. Like had a smile on my face the whole time but yeah wouldn’t even crack my Nolan’s top five(neither would memento or prestige fight me).

1) inception 

2) interstellar

3 the dark knight 

4) insomnia

5) Dunkirk

Edited by whitealroker

It’s been fun reading and watching explanations / theories about Tenet today. 

All of Nolan’s top films, including Tenet, are home runs. Some are just hit a bit farther than others.

Good list, I have the same top 2. I’m just listing the movies he wrote and directed though.

1. Inception

2. Interstellar

3. The Prestige
4. Tenet

5a. The Dark Night

5b. Dunkirk

Edited by acp

I don’t like piling on hate for movies. If someone likes a movie that’s fine, enjoy. But for me, Tenet was a disaster. Interstellar on several re watches just gets better and better for me each time. Inception will always be a top one for me,  but I don’t find that it gets better on re watches, it stays about the same for me. 

• Like 1

I heard this pointed out on a podcast recently and it may be common knowledge but I had not heard it. They said that the point of the ending isn't whether the top stopped spinning but rather, that he didn't look back. Seems so obvious after hearing it but I guess I was trapped by the mystery.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, skeeze666 said:

I don’t like piling on hate for movies. If someone likes a movie that’s fine, enjoy. But for me, Tenet was a disaster. Interstellar on several re watches just gets better and better for me each time. Inception will always be a top one for me,  but I don’t find that it gets better on re watches, it stays about the same for me. 

Agree about Interstellar and not piling on hate.

I also avoid negative reviews of movies I love, eg. Tenet. But, I like reading positive reviews of movies I didn’t like

that have favorable ratings, just in case I misunderstood something or was overly critical of something small, because ultimately I hope to appreciate / enjoy every movie I spend the time to watch.

If you aren’t worried about streaming sites with pop ups or you already use a vpn etc... cinebloom dot org has been my go to for more than 2 years. 

pass captcha

Search for anything

click off pop ups 

choose server version

click off pop ups 

watch without any download 

Has worked great for me on chrome on laptop and phone. It’s the only site I use for tv shows and movies. Usually has new tv by the next day. 

For nfl I use nflbite

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JB said:

Interstellar is my favorite movie of all time, but havent seen Tenet yet. 

How do I watch it these days? 

Can cop it on Redbox.  I used a BOGO promo to rent Tenet and The Informer.

I'm far too stupid to understand Tenet but I thought it delivered.  It's incredibly well shot and the cast was great and it was nice seeing Elizabeth Diebecki in there who I've had a crush on since The Night Manager.  

6 hours ago, acp said:

It’s been fun reading and watching explanations / theories about Tenet today. 

All of Nolan’s top films, including Tenet, are home runs. Some are just hit a bit farther than others.

Good list, I have the same top 2. I’m just listing the movies he wrote and directed though.

1. Inception

2. Interstellar

3. The Prestige
4. Tenet

5a. The Dark Night

5b. Dunkirk

Amazing that you could list six movies and Memento doesn't even crack it. Nolan is a legend.

18 minutes ago, marinersheep said:

Amazing that you could list six movies and Memento doesn't even crack it. Nolan is a legend.

Might be recency bias. I haven’t watched Memento in a long time.

18 minutes ago, acp said:

Might be recency bias. I haven’t watched Memento in a long time.

It's so good. There are a bunch of movies now (including some of Nolan's later stuff) that fuck around with twists and timelines. But this is one of the first to do it, and he did it in such a masterful way. You never get the thrill like you had the first time you saw it - kind of like The Usual Suspects - but it is fun to watch knowing how it ends.

19 hours ago, marinersheep said:

It's so good. There are a bunch of movies now (including some of Nolan's later stuff) that fuck around with twists and timelines. But this is one of the first to do it, and he did it in such a masterful way. You never get the thrill like you had the first time you saw it - kind of like The Usual Suspects - but it is fun to watch knowing how it ends.

Thanks, I definitely need to watch it again. 

I saw Tenet once more yesterday and have watched about 5 different videos about the movie, including a Nolan interview. I think this easily the most underrated / underappreciated movie, ever. I’m not trying to start a discussion, I’m just surprised at the hate.

20 hours ago, marinersheep said:

I immediately watched it again after finishing it the first time. I thought it was a masterful piece of storytelling.

Someone mentioned Greenland earlier. I watched it last night since I’m also a sucker for disaster movies. Worth a watch with low expectations. Planet killer just sounds haf.  

On 1/7/2021 at 4:07 PM, DONKWOOD said:

Someone mentioned Greenland earlier. I watched it last night since I’m also a sucker for disaster movies. Worth a watch with low expectations. Planet killer just sounds haf.  

I wanted to write a review of Greenland, but I don't even think it's worth my time.  The film has so many glaring flaws.  I could have chopped it down to 80 minutes and made it way better.  There's a 20 minute sequence involving the son being taken and the mom chasing which is utterly pointless.  And the involvement of the grandfather is just plain stupid, it's a meeting point that introduces a completely meaningless character.  Paid $20 Hollywood got me as a sucker......

I'm about done with paying for these putrid garbage early Access films.  I've hated Hollywood since I moved away, but fuck, it's been out of control garbage for 10 months.  Watched Galveston a couple nights ago starring Ben Foster.  Anytime an actor has every film taglines with "It might be his best" you know it's gonna suck.  Nic Pazzolito was involved (True Detective) so I assumed it would be dark.  Once again the studios are releasing there bottom of the barrel garbage.

Edited by Mrfreeze53