advertisement_alt
wantagolf

MLB 2021 Season

22 hours ago, JKoblyn said:

any time you take 3 of 4 from the Yankees you should give up hope

it's amazing how the script has been flipped on NYY this year.  it used to be that if you trailed them after 6, it was a wrap.  Now it feels like the exact opposite

2 minutes ago, kellykip said:

it's amazing how the script has been flipped on NYY this year.  it used to be that if you trailed them after 6, it was a wrap.  Now it feels like the exact opposite

whereas Boston's bullpen was awful last year and has been a huge strength this year

Just now, JKoblyn said:

whereas Boston's bullpen was awful last year and has been a huge strength this year

It does seem like bullpens are fucking up games late this year all around the league more often than I've ever remembered seeing.  While some teams that are generally trash bullpens like SF and Boston are having great years.  Just a crazy ass year

47 minutes ago, TMLMS13 said:

Jays bullpen has been trash since the Duane Ward Tom Henke days so not much has changed there. But it is probably worse than usual this year which honestly is fairly impressive.

Funny thing about Toronto; they play sooo few games where they are taking a 1 or 2 run lead into the 8th/9th.  They seem to either just bludgeon teams, or are behind late.

2 hours ago, kellykip said:

Funny thing about Toronto; they play sooo few games where they are taking a 1 or 2 run lead into the 8th/9th.  They seem to either just bludgeon teams, or are behind late.

They have lots of games where they have a 1 or 2 run lead late. You'd just never know because they usually lose the game. If baseball was permanently 7 innings they'd probably be leading MLB.

I will say though, to be fair they signed Kirby Yates to a big deal to be their closer and he blew out his arm in Spring Training.

Just looked up stats, Blue Jays bullpen as a whole is middle of the pack, but when you narrow it down to Late & Close games. ERA is over a full run higher. lol pathetic.

Edited by TMLMS13
2 hours ago, TMLMS13 said:

They have lots of games where they have a 1 or 2 run lead late.  

no way, not compared to other teams.  It's less for sure  - and im talking about 8th inning or later.

Had a 1 or 2 run lead 8th or later on 6/23 vs Miami.  It's happened 2 times in the 24 games since.  

Edited by kellykip

yep yesterday was one.  then they had another one between yesterday and 6/23.  also had a 1 or 2 run lead late on  6/11, and 6/9.    They are just an unusual team that way.  Great lineup will make that happen tho i guess

9 hours ago, kellykip said:

the yankees losing whitlocl ois laughable a/k/a fireable

casman is just a midget

This is how sharp MLB teams are these days:  Seattle trades Kendall Graveman who has been great this year, in order to get Toro (others involved but this is the meat of the deal).  Good trade for Houston - Toro is a nice prospect, but not elite or anything; and Houston has better players at every position you could put him in - and since if you're a contender you trade utility guys for solid bullpen help without question.  

But here's the subtle part, and certainly Houston is also fully aware:  Graveman missed a few weeks with Covid-19.  Prior to getting Covid, he had 14 appearances and his fastball averaged 97mph+ 8 of those 14 times.  Since returning from Covid, he has had 16 appearances - and his fastball has averaged 97mph exactly once.  And even that time it just made it - it was exactly 97.0mph.  He's still been good since returning, but his whiff rate on the fastball has gone from over 12.5% to 6.4%.  It could very well be something he improves on down the road or next season, but a warning sign is a warning sign, and if Seattle isn't making the playoffs anyway, why not get a guy who will play every day in their lineup next year, or be trade bait for even better?   And his BABIP has been .176 so far - also not something that should be expected to last

Edited by kellykip
On 7/29/2021 at 8:48 AM, kellykip said:

wonder if Boston pulls the trigger for Rizzo if it takes giving up Duran in the deal.  

seriously doubt they deal Duran, who looks to be a big part of their near future. Rizzo or Kimbrel would be great acquisitions though. Boston hasn't had any production from 1B, and their strong bullpen would be adding the best closer in baseball this season.

What do you think of the Yankees dealing 4 prospects for Gallo? He gives them a desperately needed left handed bat and has a bargain contract for next year, but they are 9 games out so you can forget about 2021, and his salary will go way up next year in arbitration. 

On 7/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, JKoblyn said:

seriously doubt they deal Duran, who looks to be a big part of their near future. Rizzo or Kimbrel would be great acquisitions though. Boston hasn't had any production from 1B, and their strong bullpen would be adding the best closer in baseball this season.

What do you think of the Yankees dealing 4 prospects for Gallo? He gives them a desperately needed left handed bat and has a bargain contract for next year, but they are 9 games out so you can forget about 2021, and his salary will go way up next year in arbitration. 

I like it cause they will likely work something out with him next year I'd think.  And they are so close to the 2nd wildcard even after playing like shit most of the year that it seems like a good gamble; and Chapman looks straightened out again based on his last couple of appearances.  I also like that they get a pretty serviceable lefty mid/setup piece for their bullpen to take some of the strain off Britton.  The prospects they gave up are not their elites but i also like the move for the Rangers - you compile a lot of potential and see which one emerges as a legit MLBer.  Chances are at least one will.  That seems like the smart thing to do when you are in the Rangers position.  It also means there is almost no chance that Kennedy isn't going somewhere also; they have zero reason to keep an asset like that who could bring back a dice roll prospect

I didn't realize they were only 2.5 back from the 2nd spot. I don't see them catching Oakland, but that totally changes my thoughts on the trade.

If Stanton could ever get his head out of his ass, DJ, Judge, Gallo and Stanton is lethal. But Stanton's at the point now where I don't fear him at all when he comes up with runners on. He's so easy for Boston to pitch to, unlike DJ and Judge (and that pesky fuck Gardiner).

Stanton when he isn't hitting is a major clog cause you don't want to put him in the field, so the DH spot is locked up to give one of their larger dudes a day off from fielding.   Its a huge inconvenience that you can't just shoot him over to 1B or something for an odd game here and there and let Judge, or now Gallo, Sanchez etc have a day to just swing the bat

Man, Cole coming up totally empty when they really needed him today.  

Edited by kellykip

good lord getting turner in addition is just fucking insane.  

Wonder if this really puts SD in play for Berrios, who has already been scratched out of his start tomorrow.  Obviously Snell is broken and they don't seem to have the good enough coaching personnel that teams like SF and a few others have that are able to fix starters.  

The Dodgers move here also kinda tells you that they are probably not at all interested in Bauer taking the mound for them again

Edited by kellykip

Adding Schwarber to the mix lets Boston basically go lefty/righty the whole way down. Not sure I'd rather have a right handed bat.

1. Kike 2B

2. Schwarber 1B

3. Bogaerts SS

4. Devers 3B

5. JD Martines DH

6. Verdugo LF

7. Renfroe RF

8. Vazquez C

9. Duran CF