Cabo

Laptop 'features' for poker

What are the minimum 'features' (Memory, Processor, etc) a laptop needs to download and play poker.  I need a new laptop that will be used exclusivley for email, surfing the net and poker (Ignition).  I see some that are in the $250 range but I don't know if I will be able to play poker on them.  TIA

Avoid any laptop that is considered a chrome book. You should be good with Intel i5/AMD Ryzen 5 or better. You could probably even get the i3/Ryzen 3 and still be good but anything less than that and you might be pushing it. I would suggest getting at least 8 GB of RAM but you could probably go as low as 4 GB.

Depends on the poker site and how many tables you plan to play.  To be on the safe side, get something at least quad core or higher. CPU @ 2.4GHz up and 8GB up RAM . If you plan to run a HUD in the background, I suggest getting more RAM but it still should work with 8GB. For HUD, I suggest trying out DriveHUD because its  not complicated and easy to setup.

Mobile processors or gpus are alwyas weaker than the desktop versions. I realised (especially after i bought a better pc) my 2yr old laptop was already too slow to play a single table fluently, on ACR.. So at least intel i5 I'd say, it depends idd on more factors like how many poker clients u use at once, how much tables etc, perhaps hud too or streaming. 

Also it's good to have a big laptop screen, which is not so easy to find I think, that is sufficient to play 4 tables at once (next to each other).

On 4/19/2021 at 4:01 PM, Criminal Bizzy said:

Avoid any laptop that is considered a chrome book. You should be good with Intel i5/AMD Ryzen 5 or better. You could probably even get the i3/Ryzen 3 and still be good but anything less than that and you might be pushing it. I would suggest getting at least 8 GB of RAM but you could probably go as low as 4 GB.

I forgot to mention that I think getting a laptop with 10 pad key. It makes it so much easier to type out bets.

I have a 15 inch, however you're drawing dead if you don't connect your laptop to a monitor. The experience is infinitely better with two screens. You're able to chat or pull up the lobby or internet etc on one screen and not get in the way of your tables. Also get a mouse.

For $1200 you can get a pretty great laptop. Get as much RAM as possible, 12 minimum but ideally 16+. Use this laptop predominantly just for playing poker and running PT4/Hm2, and then use a different computer if theres other things outside of internet/email that you use a comp for.

5 hours ago, strotstipslark said:

I have a 15 inch, however you're drawing dead if you don't connect your laptop to a monitor. The experience is infinitely better with two screens. You're able to chat or pull up the lobby or internet etc on one screen and not get in the way of your tables. Also get a mouse.

For $1200 you can get a pretty great laptop. Get as much RAM as possible, 12 minimum but ideally 16+. Use this laptop predominantly just for playing poker and running PT4/Hm2, and then use a different computer if theres other things outside of internet/email that you use a comp for. Poker chat isn't exactly important 😉

Better just to have a desktop then with just 1 big screen 🙂 u have so big screens these days, don't see the need for different screens unless u gotta be able to check on lots of important stuff, 

2 hours ago, Lieutenant_OH7 said:

Better just to have a desktop then with just 1 big screen 🙂 u have so big screens these days, don't see the need for different screens unless u gotta be able to check on lots of important stuff, 

Try using a computer with 2 or even 3 screens. Its hard to go back to one screen!