Algreat81

AK early in MTT question

Question

Hi, 

I’m looking for the advice on the interesting hand I played in the 100K guarantee MTT on ACR, $20 buy-in. Also, please let me know in the comments what hand did the villain have in your opinion, and would you play it differently.

This hand came up early in the tournament during the Level 3, Blinds were 800/1600. Starting stack 100K in chips. I had about 81K in chips, the villain about 73K effective stack. Villain raised UTG+1 to 4K, I was in the cutoff with AsKh.

I re-raised to 10K, he calls. Other players fold. Flop AJ9 rainbow, one heart. instead of checking to me out of position, he bets half pot, 12K. I decided to just call. Turn is the 10 of hearts. he bets another 12K into 48K pot.  I called again. River 7d. The board reads AJ9T7. No flush possibility. He bets really small, 18K into 72K pot,and I looked him up. 

I had no read on the guy, since it was early in the tournament. I played this hand cautiously, other strategy would be to jam the flop or the turn to protect the hand against draws or get value from the hand like AQ.

What hand do you think the villain most likely had and how would you play it?

Thank you

Edited by Algreat81

4 answers to this question

I would 3bet about 3.5x his sizing to 14,000. I think when players lead like this they don't bluff much and have Ax often in these 3b pots. I would raise for value on flop and jam turn. He doesn't seem like a good player if he's leading out.

Edited by rickyt88
  • Like 1