advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  

Anyone make a living playing (internet) cash games?

Question

Guest Camz   

Guest Camz

Wel i stick mostly to 2/4, 3/6, so I don't have to worry about him just yet.

The Knish    0

I'm primarily a cash player. Not a pro but I have consistently beaten the cash games on a variety of sites.

The games are tougher than they used to be but still very beatable. I've learned to be very discriminating about which games and tables I'll play which makes a difference.

Keep in mind that there is a "tremendous" amount of cheating in cash games with players teaming up and exchanging info during the hands. Still you can beat them if you out think them.

So many players of course are using pokertracker,pokeredge,etc. at data mining tools but they are fairly easy to fool. Players that keep the same pattern of playing in the same situations will get exploited but if you are aware of what the other players are looking at then you can adjust very well and I would say most of those pokertracker players lose money anyway.

takenbones    0

friend of mine made 69k last year strictly playing 1-2nl and 2-4nl, mostly 2-4nl...no tracker, just 4-5 hours a night on weekdays...wasnt even his job, just a hobby...this was 5-6 tabling short handed

Fox    0

d2themfi is right on, PT and PAHUD are just tools. As you move up levels I actually think you find less players using them than at the mid to low levels where they are more valuable. At the 50-100 tables I don't think veyr many people are using stat tracking software, because they are paying such close attention to the game that their notes are muhc better than PT stats.

knish,

this is pretty ridiculous to say there is a tremendous amount of cheating. it would be naive of me to say cheating never happens but it certainly isn't tremendous and there are many players who are beating the games fair and square.

these "pokertracker" players are smart. they are generally the same types of players that will invest in an online poker school, study the game, and are willing to put the time/money in in order to actually win at poker. anyone that isn't using the tools that are available to them is making a huge mistake.

tc

hateraises    0

likewise, this month i played mostly 1/2 NL and 20% of the time played 2/4 NL, usually 3 tabling for around give or take 3 hours a day... made around 13k just this month

Last I checked $2000 - $600 = quit a bit left over for car, bills, etc... I am not saying that $500 a week is a lot, but it would be easy to live off of if you had to, at least if you didn't have kids.

Plus his example said playing 10 hours a week. If you can't find a way to make any more money with that much free time, I would say you have some motivation issues.

Knish

If players are using Pokertracker and the HUD correctly, they are not keeping the same patterns because they are adjusting to the other players tendencies in order to exploit their weaknesses.

The fact is that most players playing online are losing players anyway, it doesn't matter if they use any programs or not. Like GP said, those using tracking programs are trying to do something about it by trying to plug the holes in their game. I use Pokertracker to help me improve my game by identifying my strengths and weaknesses, and it makes record keeping easy. I don't use the HUD, but I wouldn't be mad to know that others I am playing against use it.

Jucifer    0

And to say that things like pokertracker are making players like robots and therefore making cash games die is ridiculous - maybe it makes some players fix their game somewhat but the ones that are truly skilled will advance to the next level and find the 'new' method/tactics of making more money.

There is soooooooo much money in cash games to be made! At all levels!

If it wasnt for cash games i'd be a broke ass dude.. f tournies lol

juc.

edit.. i make a living.

The Knish    0

greenplastic,

I have respect for you. I know your rebuttal is sincere

but,

after all the times players have been popped for cheating in the last 3 years I don't believe it is rediculous at all to say there is a "tremendous" amount of cheating in the ring games. Let's face it,most cheaters don't get caught.

I've played primarily ring games online for just over 3 years and I've spotted several and pointed them out to the sites when I have. Stars is by far the best at addressing the issue when brought to their attention by the way.

I'm certainly not saying everyone is a cheat but I'm saying there are plenty out there and if you stay alert you dont' get trapped by them as easily. It's not like there aren't cheaters online everyday. There are!

As far as pokertracker players being smart, some are of course.

as you mentioned, they need to study the game and the tool they are using and most of them don't do a great job of using that info.

I have a computer whiz buddy that tracks cash game player stats and patterns of play. He has done that for over the past year and a half and has some amazing info on a lagre data base of players. He knows from chatting with several players that he has been tracking over that time that many of them are pokertracker users.

From reviewing those stats that track cash games of 1/2 NL - $5/10 NL the great majority of those pokertracker users are not winnning players. He keeps stats on Pokerstars and FullTilt. He only tracks NL games now.

I agree with you in taking advantage of tools that are available. But just having it and reading the stats don't make players winners.

aejones    0

lol @ this post...

I think making a living is still possible!

I think there are like 20 different random games on the next I could play that would make me 20k a month in my sleep.

As it is, I'd probably say 50k is an average month for me at 5/10. I did that in two weeks in May since I was out of town...

yea yea, it's extraordinarily fun to be good...

AceRunner    0

I'll make well over 6 figures this year playing mostly cash games. I made 25k this past month in very limited play(10k hands approx- a # I could play in a week).

I don't use PAH, and only use PT to review my own HHs and keep personal stats(something i could do w/ excel if i wanted)

as to cheating(i saw the word, didnt read post)- I once played 3 handed w. 2 people i thought were colluding, because I STILL felt I had an edge. :)